PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else get this???

ppf
27th Aug 2004, 08:53
Just received the following e-mail and wondered if anyone else got it or whether it was just me who had the 'privilege'??????

[QUOTE]Hi,

Don't know if you can answer this, but I’m looking to ask an MOD chap if it is
commonly preferable to wear the typical 'white' leather flying gloves, or the
newer 'black' gloves. Both are sweat resistant, and I know that the Arrows wear
the black.

What are the pro's and con's (if any) and which seem (for PRACTICAL reasons
rather than tradition..) to be the choice of Brit Military crews? - and what are
the reasons.?

Many Thanks [QUOTE]

This is the second message I have had sent to my non pprune address as I received the Boscastle one as well. I'm pretty sure I asked for my e-mail address not to be handed out, moderators is there any way this could have happened or did I not tick the right box!!!!

ppf :confused:

airborne_artist
27th Aug 2004, 09:02
ppf

If I click on your profile I can send you an email 'blind' via Pprune - your email address is not revealed to me however, unless you reply to that email.

Regie Mental
27th Aug 2004, 09:11
Ah yes, but what about the green gloves?

Feneris
27th Aug 2004, 15:35
White ones are more desirable here, but thats prob just because being discontinued they must be a better bit of kit than the new ones. Thinner or sommat....

Pontius Navigator
27th Aug 2004, 17:17
Green gloves were introduced for tactical reasons.

Ground crew could not see aircrew hand signals so we got white ones back.

The Red Arrows fly in daylight in little jets where they are easy to see. I guess black is OK for them.

It was the helicopter crews that drove the white glove issue but the other aircrew appreciate a white glove rather than a green.

In the dark cockpit it was difficult to see ones hands and for copilots it was a disaster. They could not read the LEFT and RIGHT!

BEagle
27th Aug 2004, 18:01
Due to the acceptance of certain minority groups in the RAF, it was considered that the black gloves would be more appropriate for those who prefer to model themselves upon 'Leatherman' from the Village People - hence the black gloves.....

Probably essential wear for the people prancing about in Manchester tomorrow :( - would go nicely with an aircrew leather jacket, ar$eless fagpants, SD ca(m)p and combat highs....

helidriver
27th Aug 2004, 18:15
Most of my muckers consider the white gloves as "Students". I'm going through the black ones very quickly. They seem to tear on the gauntlet and finger seams. I wonder if it is another false economy case- as my mum says, " Buy cheap buy twice"! (I'm sure someone has an MBE for the savings though!!)

BRING BACK GREEN!;)

ppf
27th Aug 2004, 21:29
Ah thanks for that airborne_artist didn't know if I had posted my e-mail address and forgotten about it!!

Think the white ones with the 'been used' look are the best as it looks like you actually do stuff!

ppf :D

Skylark4
27th Aug 2004, 22:53
Is there a whiff of Soylent Green about this thread?

From a groundcrew point of view, the dark colours can be very difficult to see through the reflections in the canopy.

Mike W

MrBernoulli
28th Aug 2004, 15:00
Some folk at a large base in Oxon are now sporting the black gloves. Had to go to stores prior to det a couple of weeks ago as gloves were sadly falling apart and thinking I didn't really want the black ones for precisely the reason of groundcrew seeing them for hand signals. Stores chap kindly offered me a choice as they still had some white ones avail - I took the white ones!