PDA

View Full Version : WinMe - restore points ?

Lost_luggage34
27th Aug 2004, 01:12
Been helping out a friend on a very infected WinMe machine.

Managed to disinfect multiple virues, malware etc. with the expert advice here.

I've never seen WinMe before, but I am aware of the system restore facility - although I don't know how to use it.

Problem I am getting is for example - I set up an automatic start on boot for my Remote Access application so I can get back in on reboot but it is not saving the changes.

Same if I say, Auto arrange the desktop icons, when it's rebooted, the icons return back to their original locations.

Is it to do with the DISABLE SYSTEM RESTORE option in System, Performance, File System, Troubleshooting ?

Also, is there a way of setting a new Restore Point now I've got things in a reasonable shape ?

Thanks in anticipation.

(User has been educated re. Firewalls, Spyware and Virus Checking !!)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Aug 2004, 01:33
Lost_luggage34,

very infected WinMe machine

The Win9X Kernels was not the most robust set of OS's in the world. Most power users would do fresh installs every 3 to 6 months anyway. (And this was without virus infections.)

I would advise to save all their data, format the drive and do a fresh install. I would also recommend taking this opportunity to upgrade them to WinXP.

Do not spend a lot of time on an OS that is most certainly trashed by the Malware.

Take Care,

Richard

Lost_luggage34
27th Aug 2004, 01:34
Tis OK folks - have found some very useful info. in the MS Knowledge database. Should have looked there first !

I think I am OK now. Will advise.

Thanks Richard - Our replys crossed !

Totally agree you re. WinMe - it\'s a dreadful OS. I would personally not touch it with a barge pole with a rubber glove on the end !

Unfortunately the end user is not in a position to upgrade to XP and the h/w platform would certainly not support it.

It\'s in a much better shape now, and at least disinfected, firewalled and patched.

Cheers

LL34

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Aug 2004, 02:17
Lost_luggage34,

If you cannot talk them into WinXP, then the Format and Fresh Install of WinME is the way to go.

The only thing with WinME is not to have any Legacy Hardware or Legacy Drivers and WinME will work as stable as any of the Win9X OS's. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard