PDA

View Full Version : Aer Arann gwy-wat-ltn services

schoolkid
26th Aug 2004, 21:53
While trying to price a trip from Waterford to luton for the end of october I noticed that the evening rotation GWY-LTN-WAT-LTN -GWY is no longer available.

Is this true....
Is RE Opening new routes instead.
It seems like a step backwards if its correct, ar is it a computer glitch.:mad: :{ :{

Eh Hello?
26th Aug 2004, 23:29
Looks like they have a single aircraft doing a GAL-LTN-WAT-LTN-GAL rotation in winter. If they've pulled the second service to start more routes, they're certainly spreading themselves thin and leaving what seemed to be lucrative routes open to attack.

It could just be a delay in loading (or deciding) their timetable or maybe they're playing MOL tactics with the airports to reduce charges?

Powerjet1
27th Aug 2004, 05:46
Have flown LTN-WAT twice & LTN-GWY once in the last three months and the aircaft were completely full each time. I understand both routes are very successful for AA. Whether twice daily ops throughout the winter, especially on a ATR72, is a bit too much, i'm not sure. Certainly I believe an earlier departure from GWY to LTN allowing earlier flights back to WAT & GWY would be beneficial. Flights at present at 17.00 & 21.25 LTN-GWY are not ideal.

The 5Q
27th Aug 2004, 08:52
From what I hear they are going to lose aircraft for maintenance over the winter months so some routes were going have to be reduced until all aircraft are back in service.

EI-WAT
1st Sep 2004, 13:54
It is a bit of a blow for EIWF as the loads have being doing very well, however it looks as if the lorient flight will be kept on of a saturday only.

EI-WAT

Eh Hello?
1st Sep 2004, 14:25
The booking system shows Birmingham to Galway down to Monday, Thursday and Friday and Edinburgh losing Tuesday and Wednesday also. Rumour was they were running high passenger numbers so it would seem to make sense to grow these routes rather than cut back if they were making money on them (or were they?).

Did they not lease Dutch aircraft to cover this sort of situation before or have they become too penny wise to realise they are not doing their reputation any favours by destroying schedules like this? Surely it would make more sense to keep them going by planning a lease-in and building loyal passengers rather than dropping services because they haven't planned their maintenance cover in a customer focused way. Now sit back and watch the fares go up.

Loganair on Edinburgh and Eastern from Birmingham?

LTNman
1st Sep 2004, 15:04
Seems reasonable to cut back flights in the winter to match the drop in demand.

WHBM
1st Sep 2004, 16:55
The routes in question are noticeably seasonal and if they had high loads in summer (possibly certain days only) this could not be expected to continue through the winter. I remember returning from Waterford to Luton with Euroceltic one winter afternoon with about 10 pax in the F27.

It certainly seems poor though to mess about with schedules like this so they do not become established. Aer Arann used to lease aircraft from VLM (and probably others) to cover downtime on their fleet.

runawayedge
1st Sep 2004, 17:39
WHBM....have a look at the CAA stats and tell me how seasonal the routes are. The real reason is that RE have worked the ass of the aircraft all summer and have to take at least two out for maintenance over the winter. High 80s load factor I reckon on both routes. Think before you talk or don't talk at all! Seasonal........I ask

WHBM
1st Sep 2004, 17:46
have a look at the CAA stats and tell me how seasonal the routes are.
As the Aer Arann Waterford route only started on 9 June this year, that's a bit difficult !

runawayedge
1st Sep 2004, 17:51
Further enhances my original point about people talking on subjects they know little about. Yes it started in June.....June 9 of last year!

The 5Q
1st Sep 2004, 18:03
"I remember returning from Waterford to Luton with Euroceltic one winter afternoon with about 10 pax in the F27."

The same is not true of Aer Arann they operated 70-80% loadfactor average for winter season last year.

Topcover
1st Sep 2004, 19:45
Aer Arann dropping the evening LTN/WAT/LTN is hardly a blow to Waterford. The winter schedule from Waterford is still a lot better than Summer 2003 when Aer Arann started.

Waterford is keeping a daily LTN ,rumour has it twice weekly MAN and possibly a weekly Lorient service. Not bad for an airport that was in trouble in Jan.2003

I also understand that for the first time Waterford had oil support flights this summer, Jetstream 31 connecting with a CHC S61 five times a week.

Hopefully the small friendly regional airport is finally on course for a bright future.

EI-WAT
1st Sep 2004, 22:41
I'd say eiwf's future is secure hopefully, back in july i heard they had more movements in july than they did in a whole year when ba operated from the airport.

EI-WAT

MarkD
2nd Sep 2004, 00:34
In fairness, Arann beating the pants of the likes of Euroceltic is hardly overachievement...

Eh Hello?
2nd Sep 2004, 08:09
Everyone's missing the point - to develop routes to support business development you need consistency and flexibility. If I'm a Galway businessperson and, on the back of a daily Birmingham service, start to build my business in the UK, I now have to constrain my business travel to fit in with a reduced schedule. Similarly if I used to do a day's business in London. I suffer because the airline treats the service as a regional and seasonal leisure route.

Galway and Waterford had never had it so good, and the passengers reacted by travelling more, avoiding the connections over Dublin and supporting their local airport. With Lingus trying to cut back on connections at Dubiln, Arann are perfectly positioned to capitalise on regional traffic to the UK but instead elect not to take the bait - high load factors, developing demand and a poor alternative over Dublin are all features which make routes such as Birmingham and Manchester attractive and worth exploiting. History on these routes is meaningless as the market has fundamentally changed with better access, lower fares and higher numbers travelling.

Sure the leisure passenger will move to a day the flight operates but, IMHO, not operating every weekday year round does not instill a vote of confidence from a business user's perspective.

My philosophy in my own line of business is never to take a step back if the signs for going forward are good, otherwise you waste the energy you have spent getting to where you are.

runawayedge
2nd Sep 2004, 10:02
Euroceltic had virtually no distribution, it's not exactly like with like...eh hello I agree with you totally...when the volume and yield are there use it or you'll probably lose it!

Office_With_A_View
2nd Sep 2004, 12:02
Just to confirm yes we do have aircraft on rotation for maintaince and this is partly the reason for the reduced schedule. Also the Pax numbers do tend to drop for the winter but not enough to warrent dropping the services.

I work for AA and I'm galway based and we have no idea what the reasoning is behind it. I am aware that Galway airport are causing some problems with the development of the Airport and maybe thats why.

We have a big meeting next week so maybe they'll tell us then.

runawayedge
2nd Sep 2004, 12:09
Wonder what the problems are....I heard that they have and continue to invest heavily in terminal, new ILS new runway lighting. Just saw a NOTAM that they are closed in November for three days for re-surfacing!

Shamrogue
2nd Sep 2004, 13:14
Topcover,

Is your job title - "Waterford Airport Information Manager"? :)

EH Hello, I agree with your sentiments on the mainline routes interms of how much traffic has changed. However I would say,it was long beleived the WAT-LON route held an almost uptapped market. FR managed 3 flights per day, early morning, lunchtime and late evening. From the figures so far, EIWF is quickly heading back that way. Regional routes I beleive in Ireland are less effected by fares and schedules than mainline routes. The simple logic here being still not so wonderful road networks and rail connections generally routing direct to Dublin City Centre. So most people are not too bothered providing they are not flying in the middle of the night.

Cheerio

Shamrogue

runawayedge
2nd Sep 2004, 13:16
well said sham!

schoolkid
3rd Sep 2004, 17:53
if aer arann see problems soon with terminal work etc at galway.
could they haved based an ATR in wat instead.

Alternatively,wouldent it be smart to keep the 2 ltn flights and run a ATR42 instead until next summer.
jeepers.....if ryanair could have 3 london flights in the eighties from wat. ......when people had no money....surely the loads would be satisfactory for the winter.:cool:

Topcover
3rd Sep 2004, 18:28
FR more often than not had a daily ATR42 on WAT with two extra rotations being shared with KIR or GWY so it wasn't three full ATRs a day.

But as "Schoolkid" says that was back in the '90 money is flowing better now and people in the SE hate the drive to Dublin so 2 ATR42s daily out of WAT should be successful.

Interested to know more about the situation in Galway as hinted at by "Office with a view". I see recently Aer Arann have advertised for Capts.and Engs. and Galway is given as one of the bases so is more expansion planned or are AA just trying to keep up with current ops.

Buster the Bear
3rd Sep 2004, 18:43
Suckling operated a Do228 3 times daily between Luton and Waterford during the early/mid 1990's.
http://whipsnade.co.uk/picturelibrary/jpeg150/br/brown_bear_120_wide.jpg

LTNman
3rd Sep 2004, 19:50
A crunch meeting is to take place today (Friday) morning between the management of Galway Airport and Aer Arann following reports earlier this week that the airline is to suspend at least 12 flights a week at Galway Airport in Carnmore.

The meeting is a 'regularly scheduled meeting' between the two, according to airport management, but is expected to centre on Aer Arann's decision to reduce its number of flights from Carnmore.

Howvere there was concern his week that the meeting will be the culmination of a long-running showdown bewteen the airline and airport management.

Discussions with the airline have been ongoing according to Galway Airport general manager Jarlath Feeney who said the airline's decision to reduce flights cooincided with the launch of the airline's winter schedule.

Mr Feeney said he could not make any further comment on the matter before Friday's meeting which would also includes discussions on other matters.

"We certainly wouldn't like to see a reduction in flights as it is a necessity to provide a service if the market for specific flights are in place. We'll have to wait and see what happens at the meeting," he said.

Michael Coyle, CEO of Galway Chamber of Commerce— which holds nearly 90 per cent of the shares in the airport — said he could not comment on the matter until the chamber saw a copy of the proposed changes. He said he has only heard media coverage of the proposals and until a press statement was released by the airline he was not prepared to further comment.

However he added: "The chamber is delighted with the growth in the number of routes served by Galway Airport and Aer Arann and by the reaction of the public and business community as reflected in the occupancy levels of the flights to date. We would look forward to continuing a high level of service in future.

A spokesperson for Aer Arann told the Galway Advertiser there have been ongoing issues with management at the airport but refused to comment on the latest development except to say the airline is currently reviewing all its routes, and in particular its winter schedule which comes into operation on October 1.

Routes expected to be affected should the suspension go ahead include London-Luton, Birmingham, Edinburgh, and Dublin.

The 5Q
3rd Sep 2004, 21:02
Have Galway bitten the hand that feeds them ....?

flyerz111
3rd Sep 2004, 23:24
If the reason given is anything other than maintenance, RE would have an aircraft sitting on the ground during the winter or be flying it to grow Waterford or Cork. Throwing their toys out of the pram and blaming airport management for the reduction would be foolish - they are down aircraft, have decided to reduce their operation rather than lease a substitute aircraft and as a result will get high average passenger numbers on each flight which (demand and supply would suggest) will have a higher average price. Good for the bottom line.
colours.

eireflyer
3rd Sep 2004, 23:29
Hi Guys

Here is the headline from the local free sheet. The report is pretty good and tells it's own story!

Headline article, front page. (http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/dws/story.tpl?inc=2004/09/02/news/50266.html)

The editorial on page 2 tells it's own story. Fairly close to the mark too! Here is the link!

Editorial (http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/dws/story.tpl?inc=2004/09/02/news/49968.html)

Local radio had Airport Manager talking at 11.30 local time live on air with the news that AA management had walked from the meeting.

CEO of AA answered at 1 O'Clock news with a completely different story. Yes they walked from the meeting but it was because they were supposed to meet the Airport Chairman. Only senior management showed up and AA were not prepared to meet with them.

The senior management seem to be shafting AA when they can! According to the CEO of AA, Galway Airport have been giving AA 'grief and trouble' (my words to edit what he said) for over a year and it has finally come to a head.

The scheduled meeting never went ahead.

Not a nice way to run an airport if you upset your biggest customer.

If more developements occur, they will be posted.

eireflyer

flyerz111
3rd Sep 2004, 23:56
The editorial's questioning is spot on - what exactly are Aer Arann unhappy with? Clearly they want exert pressure over the airport and come up smelling of roses, restoring services and horray for the good old "knight in shining armor" CEO etc. but let's hear what the problems are first and then judge.

Seconds out, Round Two.....

eireflyer
4th Sep 2004, 10:44
Flyerz111

I think under normal circumstances you would be correct to assume that AA are "turning the screw" to achieve a better deal.

If one looks at the overall situation in Ireland re general aviation, there are alot of private pilots who would rather not fly in to Galway because of the treatment they receive!

In Kerry, Waterford, Weston and others the flying fraternity are treated like customers and the red carpet is rolled out. In Galway, no such treatment.

AA are not wrong. There is a major problem brewing in Galway for quiet some time. Senior management have really got it wrong with their biggest customer. If it was an AA ploy, then other airports would be hit just as much.

Lets hope they can resolve their differences soon!

There is a perception out there that Galway is an unwelcome airport even though Galway City is a most welcoming city. This needs to be sorted too.

eireflyer

flyerz111
4th Sep 2004, 19:23
...but is withdrawing services the right way to address diferences (hitting Waterford too btw)?

As I said, let's hear what the problem is - I assume they are on incentives for the new routes so cost should not be an issue; I suspect it comes down to Galway trying to grow services with Air Wales and Loganair and Arann wanting the patch to themselves, at their own pace. But I do not think RE would be so naieve as to suggest the reduction in service is anything to do with their relationship with Galway Airport, it is purely a maintenance planning decision.

eireflyer
4th Sep 2004, 20:07
If one thinks that AA are affecting their pax and reputation because of a few euro, I think we could be mistaken.

The management at the airport have been making life very difficult for AA over the last year.

There was a skurmish 'live' over the local radio station a number of months ago between AA and senior management.

The situation at Galway has been getting worse as the months go by. This has been brewing since and there must have been something lately to break the camels back!

eireflyer

runawayedge
5th Sep 2004, 13:14
Heard senior RE exec had major security breach at Galway recently and is taking it out on the management. Also heard that they heve reduced Waterford and Derry, and have heard that the reductions is because they do not have the aircraft. Apparently two aircraft will be out for most of the winter. It seems RE tactics are to block as many routes out of GWY as possible with minimal service. It also seems that RE are livid with GWY for introducing Logan!

eireflyer
5th Sep 2004, 21:36
Latest news is that the Chairman of the Board of the Airport has resigned!

Exospheric
6th Sep 2004, 05:47
Looks like all is not well in other regionals as well. BMI Baby to East Midlands and BA to Manchester both pulled out of Knock this week.

Particularly bad to lose BA, they had been on that route for 15 years !!

The 5Q
9th Sep 2004, 13:49
http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/dws/story.tpl?inc=2004/09/09/news/50526.html

Sort out Galway Airport mess or face ruin, says TD

Aer Arann was 'shafted' and frustrated by airport management, says chief

BY DECLAN VARLEY

GALWAY Airport is facing ruin unless a root and branch examination into management practices at the airport is carried out, according to a Government deputy for Galway West.

In a scathing attack on the farcical impasse which had seen the cancellation of 15 flights by Aer Arann in and out of the airport, TD Noel Grealish has called for an investigation into the problems at the airport which have led to the latest in a series of stand-offs between airport management and the airline.

However yesterday Aer Arann rowed back on its decision by reinstating the Galway-Luton service and in a pointed reference to its difficulties with airport management, paid tribute for the u-turn to Chamber of Commerce CEO Michael Coyle and president Chris Coughlan.

Last weekend airport chairman Joe Higgins announced his retirement just hours after a stormy but short meeting between airport management and Aer Arann executives. However Mr Higgins announced that his retirement was for personal reasons and was in no way connected to the stand-off at the airport.

Commenting on the announcement that some of the flights have been reinstated, Padraig O'Ceidigh, managing director, Aer Arann said the airline ais delighted to announce that it will be continuing to operate a double daily service from Galway to London Luton three days per week for the winter season.

"Based on current market analysis, we believe that these additional flights will cater adequately for demand between Galway and London during the winter.

"We appreciate the input of the Galway Chamber of Commerce and its president Dr Chris Coughlan and chief executive Michael Coyle in working with Aer Arann to develop our route network from Galway."

On Friday last Mr O Ceidigh said that Aer Arann had been "shafted" by the airport management and that as he has invested € 12 million into services to and from Galway, he was suspending 15 flights as he has been constantly frustrated by senior management at the airport.

Galway Chamber's chief executive Michael Coyle welcomed the Aer Arann decision regarding the reinstatement of the London Luton flights, but deputy Noel Grealish still fears that unless action is taken, Galway Airport will drive away Aer Arann, the main reason for the airport’s increasing profitability.

Claiming that the risk to the future viability of the regional airport is "now greater than ever before," he said the chamber - as majority shareholders in the airport - must, as an immediate priority, get to grips with the problems which have the potential to drive Aer Arann away from Galway.

"This is a company which has gone from having one flight a day out of the city and now has over 150 in any one week. Neither the City nor the region can afford to lose the growing business levels in commerce and tourism which these services bring to the area.

"The realities of these facts must be driven home to the management of the airport and I am calling publicly on the airport board to ensure that this most valuable business will not be lost." He said that if this was a one-off situation it might not be as serious.

" This is not the first time that difficulties have arisen, difficulties that continue to have the potential to erode the growing confidence in the services provided at the airport."

Galway Airport was recently at the centre of speculation over plans for a management buy-out which Grealish described as "unsettling."

schoolkid
9th Sep 2004, 17:25
Could anybody tell me if the ltn -wat service will also be double daily 3 times a week
fingers crossed it is..........
:ok:

EI-WAT
9th Sep 2004, 17:32
i agree schoolkid if it is it will be great!! However the Aer Arann website is showing only 1 flight

flyerz111
9th Sep 2004, 20:30
The knight in shining armor has saved the day. Horray!! Predictable, totally predictable outcome.

With the Public Schedule Obligation contracts for renewal next year, it is clearly in Arann's interest to keep other airlines out of regional airports. Now they've thought Galway Airport a lesson and presumably got their way, woe betide any airport management that stands between Arann and their wishes. They still haven't said specificly what the problem was - did runwayedge's last post hit the spot?

The 5Q
9th Sep 2004, 21:25
Flyerz111,

This is not something that appeared in the last few days its being going on for the last 12 months. The management of Galway have being playing the game big time and now its finally come to kick them in the balls.

A bit of topic but have a look at some of their other activities

http://www.flyinginireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236

123 O'Leary
10th Sep 2004, 02:42
One wonders what would the attitude of a certain regional airport
would be if the CEO of a certain low fares Irish airline was dealing
with them!!!
Somehow think they would be left in no doubt who the customer was!:mad:

runawayedge
10th Sep 2004, 09:37
It is interesting to note comments from the last two posts. Firstly I would be interested to know how Loganair get on at Galway. It is great to see what RE have done for the Irish regional airports. But, I go back to the point....What are REs issues at Galway? Apparently there was a very serious security incident invovling a senior RE exec at Galway. 123 I have never condoned MOLs behaviour, particularly towards crew and pax, so personally I think your point unworthy of comment. Was this an attempt to take out the mgmt at GWY to have control over a major RE revenue stream? We still have not heard what the issues are! Yes, there has been nearly a year of turbulence in the West, but this is only since GWY started to introduce other carriers.

RYRbaby.com
10th Sep 2004, 17:22
123 O'Leary......
Check out Ryanair's past dealings with GWY, WAT, KIR, SXL, NOC, CFN & SNN. 1991 to be exact. All regional services axed.

With the exception of.... SXLLON, CFNLON, CVTNOC & BHXNOC all the regional routes at the time have been sucessfully reintroduced by RE and others.

Ryanair's handling of the regional airports issue at the time has compounded the cynical attitudes towards the airline in Ireland ever since.

eireflyer
12th Sep 2004, 20:19
If one was to read between the lines, you would find that the facts and the majority believe that Galway is an undesirable airport to do business with.

All the other regional airports welcome AA with open arms and would only love to have the opportunity that Galway have.

Serious amounts of flights and huge pax numbers!

There is an interesting link to a comments site that gives a good feel for what is happening in Galway.

If I was AA, I would not want to be dragged through the local media to try and 'prove a point'. AA want to stay in Galway because the support they get is huge from the poeple of Galway!

It's time to sort the problems out now once and for all and try to get the Airport and AA to the table to sort the differences!

flyerz111
12th Sep 2004, 23:04
eireflyer,

You seem well informed. For those of us unfortunate enough to only see blank pixels between the lines, can you enlighten us? A link to a page about airspace charges being applied to light aircraft hardly constitutes proof that "the majority believe that Galway is an undesirable airport to do business with". If Arann have an issue with charges, they would have said so.

Runwayedge has given some suggestions - did the airport give Arann a bl00dy nose when they allegedly tried to bypass airport regulations? Did this event open a can of worms which Arann now want to take revenge for? Having rejected Glasgow in favour of Edinburgh (and dissuaded Air Wales from operating to Glasgow), had Arann any right to be upset when the airport encouraged Loganair to fly between Galway and Glasgow?

I have no doubt there are events, situations and/or personalities behind this situation (no smoke without fire etc.) but would love to know what they are. The Galway - Arann "debate" seems full of innuendo and suggestion but short of fact in the public domain. Is that because Arann may be embarassed if all the facts got out?

At least MOL comes out straight when he has issues with airports (and any other subject).

The 5Q
13th Sep 2004, 09:31
flyzer111 "You seem well informed. For those of us unfortunate enough to only see blank pixels between the lines, can you enlighten us? "

Flyzer

I think that you are very well informed in the situation and know alot more than you are letting on.

runawayedge
13th Sep 2004, 09:38
Have to agree with flyerz....have not seen any facts on this issue from either side. Although RE have said they are unhappy, they have not said with what. Is there a can of worms? Have to say eireflyer seems very well connected within RE, I wonder is he using this thread for RE PR.

eireflyer
13th Sep 2004, 21:20
I hope that no-one here thinks that I have an agenda although after reading back through my posts, one could assume that to be the case!

Firstly, I am not either connected to or working for AA or Galway Airport for that matter. I have a keen interest in local issues and as a pilot, I would keep abreast of what is happening at the regional airports. This forum is very good at keeping me informed of what is going on and for that I am grateful. If I come accross as an AA champion, well for that I make no apology. I feel that the company is progressive and I have great respect for Paraic O'Ceidigh!

With regard to AA and Galway, the argument began last year between AA and Galway when AA had acquired an ATR for a number of new routes, one being Galway to Glasgow.

At the same time, Galway were negotiating with another carrier for the exact same route! Of course AA are going to be miffed! They invest in an aircraft with the intention to service Galway among others with it and they are told they will have to compete!

This is lunacy when you are trying to entice an airline to open new destinations!

Before the vultures descend, I feel that there is nothing like competition but when you are only starting something and trying to build it up, the last thing you need is another carrier!

This whole mess and argument was aired on local radio and in the local press. That's why I'm informed! Yes, I have people who I can ask a question or two from time to time, but on the whole, the local press does a pretty good job!

As for the current situation, when the AA boss can say on local radio that the management of Galway Airport have shafted AA, there has to be some truth in it. (especially since no-one from the airport has even began to discuss the problems).

To further fuel the fire, Mr O'Ceidigh was asked if he or AA would even discuss the issues with management, he answered that it would be only new management he would deal with or the owners of Gawlay Airport, the Chamber of Commerce!

When management were asked the same question, they said they were prepared to sit with an independent mediator to try and sort the problems. Does that not indicate that one of the problems is the management themselves?

I am not saying for one moment that AA or anyone else should or could have sole rights over Galway.

I am saying that AA should be able to operate in the same fashion in Gawlay as they do in Kerry, Waterford, Sligo, Donegal and the others!

Is that not a reasonable request?

In relation to a security breach, I understand that there was an incident at the airport recently where a member of AA staff accessed the Aircraft via the local flying school. This was discussed on local radio but further comments were not forthcoming!

I hope that this clears some issues up and certainly clears up the assumption that I have anything to do whatever with AA or PR for that matter.

eireflyer

runawayedge
14th Sep 2004, 17:19
Eire....can I be so bold as to ask who you fly for. Secondly can I point you to a previous thread on some of the points you raise 'Air Wales at GLA', my apologies but I am having difficulties posting a link. Your reply actually asks more questions than it answers! Interesting to note that an aircraft was being acquired in December. I have checked REs website and did not see any other route developments around that time. Why if they were so keen on GLA did they not take up the opportunity when Air Wales buckled. Did they not opt for EDI. When you say they should be allowed operate in GWY in the same way as other regionals, this brings me back to my original point what are the problems, what is the difference at GWY. Is it that GWY is the only Irish regional that has a major centre of populationa and an untapped air network. Do RE want it all to themselves? I happen to admire both RE and GWY but this situation I find intruiging. Finally, if you trawl through prune you will see many instances of press inaccurracy and manipulation. Perhaps your are a bit naive in believing all that you hear, see and read in that quarter. What was the alleged security breach and who was involved? Did someone actually board a commercial airliner through a flying club? Is this what has caused all the difficulties. Can you enlighten us as outsiders looking in from your inside contacts?

eireflyer
14th Sep 2004, 20:57
Runaway, I never said I fly for a living. I said I was a pilot! I work for a large multinational and am not and probably never will be in a position to invest in the acquisition of the required licences, unfortunatly.

Yes I would like to fly for a living. I fly occasionally to keep my 'hand in' at Weston and have flown into Galway on occasion. I work in Galway and hence my local knowledge through local media etc......

I asked no further questions in my last post! I merely stated what I knew of the debacle at Galway and the treatment AA are getting there!

As for December being the time for the new route, I don't know but I do remember listening to P O'Ceidigh talking on live local radio at the time about the new route and his commitment to new aircraft for it! That's NOT some reporter making it up!(or have I completely lost the plot?)

There are questions in relation to Glasgow or Edinburgh and I would like answers to those too. One would presume, sorry Edinburgh, that Glasgow would be a better option.

As for the press inacuracies, I appreciate that there is always room for speculation and in this situation, there are always two sides. I try to filter the fiction from the fact as much as possible.

As I have posted previously, I wish the whole debacle to end for the sake of the travelling public, customers of both sides of the argument!

In relation to the security breach, this was questioned live on local radio and answered live also! I have already stated what I know and my 'contact', not inside AA or Airport staff knew nothing of it! Maybe that was a red herring thrown in for good measure by the presenter. If it was, it has certainly grown wings because all the local papers had it then!

Finally runaway edge, is it not possible to take someone at face value and not 'suspect' all the time? My posts here are genuine with a sincere wish to see Galway Airport thrive and any and all customers, AA included thrive with them!

There is no need for cynicism and it is not appreciated. Ask your questions and express your opinions. No-one will or should question that. But questioning my integrity and creating doubt over my posts does nothing but fuel the argument against what my opinions may be. Free speech is a gift that we all should cherish and encourage, not beat down with a large mallett!

eireflyer

eireflyer
21st Sep 2004, 09:49
Have I touched a nerve with runawayedge?

I hope not.

There has been very little talk since in the papers but I know that AA are at least talking to Galway Airport through the Chamber of Commerce management.

This may ease the tension between both sides to allow the issues to be resolved. Hopefully light at the end of the tunnel!

eireflyer

Powerjet1
23rd Sep 2004, 05:16
The three reinstated second daily flights between GWY-LTN are now showing on the system for Tues, Thurs & Sat for the winter period. The second flight departs GWY for LTN @ 19.05, arriving back in GWY @ 23.10. There is no second daily flight between LTN-WAT.

Shamrogue
23rd Sep 2004, 09:43
Just to throw in a spanner!

Would any of the Irish Regionals support Easy's 319's. With their announcement this morning of an attack on SNN.NOC.ORK could there further expansion possibilities?
Would EIWF for instance handle a319? RE's growth proves that there is business on the route.

Shamrogue

Buster the Bear
23rd Sep 2004, 14:03
Galway Airport today announced that over E3m will be invested in the facility this year. This investment will include the upgrade of the runway and increased safety features at the airport.

The airport also outlined its plans to introduce increased services in 2005 to key UK destinations such as London, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Commenting on the announcement, chairman of Galway Airport, Joe Higgins, said, "We are delighted to be able to announce this substantial investment and to unveil our intentions to seek additional services to Dublin and the UK."

In 2005, the airport plans to offer at least five flights a day to Dublin; three flights to London daily; two flights to Manchester; one daily to Birmingham, Edinburgh and Glasgow; and also a service to L'Orient during the summer.

It was also announced that there are plans to seek new routes to Liverpool, Leeds-Bradford, Southampton and possibly Paris.

Galway Airport has enjoyed record growth in 2004, expanding by over 60pc in the last two years. It has doubled the number of passengers it carries, from 110,000 in 2002, to 220,000 this year. It aims to boost passenger numbers to 300,000 in 2005.

"Obviously, in finding carriers for these routes, our main route partner Aer Arann will be our first port of call," said Higgins.

"Together with Aer Arann we have a record of developing many successful flight services from Galway Airport, and we hope this will continue long into the future to our mutual benefit and to the benefit of the travelling public," he added.

http://whipsnade.co.uk/picturelibrary/jpeg150/br/brown_bear_120_wide.jpg

MarkD
23rd Sep 2004, 14:34
Airbus.com doesn't show runway length requirement but some example data from Finnair's 319s:

TO dist:1890m
LD dist:1430m

Waterford: 1480m
Kerry: 2000m
Galway: 1350m
Sligo: 1170m landing

so only Kerry.

EI-WAT
23rd Sep 2004, 14:43
This was discussed last time when ryanair was supposed to be looking at regional airport. It was also mentioned that waterford had bought land to extend the runway enough to allow the 737's and A320's to operate from there.

EI-WAT

EI-MD11
20th Oct 2004, 15:53
Is it true that Aer Arran receive heavy subsidies from the Irish Government in operating Irish regional routes?

MarkD
20th Oct 2004, 17:57
Yep, the PSO routes go to tender but since FR and EI don't have the equipment it tends to be divvied up between RE and Loganair. Even Flybe's Q400s might need a bit more runway. Air Wales could try out though.

neidin
21st Oct 2004, 13:33
Aer Arann get upwards of EURO 4 million for offering three 42 seats flights between Kerry and Dublin. They do a 4th flight Mon-Fri which has no subsidy.

They still get to keep the EURO 140 per pax they charge and get an average of EURO 60 per pax on top. Nice work. Aer Lingus used to operate this with 146 and Fokker 50's.

The PSO subsidised routes come up again for 2005 for three years and the Irish Govt. are trying to split it among a few carriers. Kerry can handle aircraft upto A300 and the Govt. want to interest a jet operator in two a day but the airport and Aer Arann want to keep it on props with 4 a day. The props are really dingy at this time of year. At least our old EI crew had the 146 on some flights. A great opportunity for a loco to base an A/C and get EURO 4 million in the bank me thinks.

Shamrogue
1st Nov 2004, 12:27
Now, you take 2 irish success stories...........The Phoenix Like return of Waterford, added to the Cinderella of Irish Aviation - Aer Arann, blended with a fairy godmother...........a minister in from the right place at the right time..............hmmmmmm.

We could see A319's yet!

Shamrogue

Powerjet1
2nd Mar 2005, 06:10
Seems that AA are reinstating twice daily services between both GWY & WAT to LTN commencing 9 May, for the summer season.

EI-WAT
2nd Mar 2005, 10:46
Not much of a suprise there was always on the cards!