PDA

View Full Version : Mark Thatcher arrested

Leftpedal
26th Aug 2004, 15:25
Latest reports mention Mark Thatcher's alleged involvement in supplying a helicopter for the alleged conspirators......allegedly. Well, any rumours from Cape Town? Does Mark, (sorry I mean Sir Mark) own a chopper down there? If so, what type? Any details, rumours, gossip etc. would be much appreciated.

Head Turner
26th Aug 2004, 15:34
Leftpedal do you have a transcript of the news in regard to Sir Mark. The details are rather sketchy. We heard that he had funded a coup.

Leftpedal
26th Aug 2004, 15:40
I'm afraid that I know little more than what I've read on the bbc website. I did meet an instructor in Cape Town a couple of years ago though, who did Mark Thatcher's flight test renewal. I believe he holds an American CPL (Helicopter).

26th Aug 2004, 17:40
I did my jetranger conversion and check in Mark (I can't call him Sir, it sticks in my throat as it is a hereditary peerage) Thatcher's 206 in the 80s - I hope that doesn't make me an accessory before the fact!!

SASless
26th Aug 2004, 20:21
Crab,

The sin is being known to have associated with someone that actually holds an FAA licence I would suggest!

26th Aug 2004, 20:33
Mark Thatcher is most famous in UK for getting lost during the Paris-Dakkar rally - someone said on the TV today that he was surprised to be arrested byb the South African police - he thought he was in the USA!!

SASless
27th Aug 2004, 02:18
Crab,

We don't have nav and plotting papers in our part of the world....simple reading tests....that way one should be able to read the water towers and train station signs. The scarcity of which in that part of the world might explain the reason for his presence in places he did not intend to be.

....getting a bit bored waiting for the whistle to blow....dogs are trailing an escaped bank robber....and might just get to go chase him.....would be a fitting end to a rather dreary day in the office!

ppheli
27th Aug 2004, 05:28
He certainly used to own a helicopter in the UK before he moved down to RSA - JetRanger G-SHZZ based at Booker to be precise

27th Aug 2004, 06:23
Yup, that's the one, just as well I didn't have to do a navex in it!