PDA

View Full Version : Far East Forum... Timeout

Sick Squid
26th Aug 2004, 10:12
Folks, I'm noticing some trends on this forum that I do no like.

It used to be that the Far East Forum basically ran itself... after a little bit of sabre-wielding from me a few years back when I took this forum on as one of my first on the site everything seemed to calm down, debate was respectful and measured, and the forum grew and thrived.

Recently however, I see back-biting, bitching, thinly-disguised barely-under-the-surface racial tendencies from ALL sides, outright abuse, a flagrant disregard for the conventions of not naming names on PPRuNe.. I could go on and on. In the last month I have had to ban 5 users from the forum for varying periods of time; in the previous 3 years I have banned one person total.

I'm not happy. I used to be quietly proud of this forum, but now I find myself seriously considering appointing another moderator as I can no longer trust the contributors to act responsibly when I can't put my head in for a day or two.

I don't want to take that course of action. I would ask that everyone think before posting from now on; if your post is merely a schoolyard insult made to make you feel better, or not related to the argument of a thread, or attacking another person's views without providing any argument to back up your attack, then please do not post.

Let's bring this forum back under the responsible control of the many who use it responsibly. It is a major part of the PPRuNe site, covers a vast geographical area with many societies and cultures represented and is a phenomenal resource for those who work, rest and play in that area, or wish to move there. I would like to be proud of it again.

Thank you,

Sick Squid
Far East Forum Moderator