PDA

View Full Version : GCSEs really need them?

ozzieb88
26th Aug 2004, 00:13
Get my GCSE results later today, well later this morning!!

Just asking, can i get into jerez or oxford or any other school without a english GCSE? Im predicted a C in english but i doubt i got it, im confident in science and maths and all others just english! im no good at commenting at poetry or writing stories!!

Will the accept me? im doing Physics, Maths, ICT and law as A level.

is there a test i can take to prove i can get in? Or is it just based on GCSEs and A levels?

All info would be great.

Regards,

Oz

2close
26th Aug 2004, 00:48
I don't believe you need any formal qualification in English, you just need to be able to speak it 'fluently'.

But please, and forgive me for being picky, use a capital 'I' - only joking.

I hope your GCSE results are what you want but are you sure 4 A Levels is enough? (he joked, coughed and spluttered simultaneously).

cblore
26th Aug 2004, 04:49
I too will receive my GCSE results today (my birthday so I hope they're good!) and am also hoping to go into a professional career as a pilot. A C grade is considered to be a good basis as it is the first widely acknowledged of the pass marks (even a G grade is supposed to be a pass) and most flying schools will not be too bothered about your English marks anyway. Most airlines that I have seen state in their recruitment literature that a C grade at GCSE English is required so you should be OK here if you do get your C.

If you can also get good grades at A level with the choices that you have put down you should have quite a good grounding from which to begin your training.

Are you intending to go to university as this can take you to a whole new level in terms of your employability because it can help to distinguish yourself from other applicants because it shows your commitment to achieving a goal through putting in the work? Also, if the pilot thing doesn't work out, you would now have the other qualification to help for anything else that you may wish to do.

Good luck for later

Chris :uhoh:

VFE
26th Aug 2004, 11:13
I got into Jerez without +C grades in maths and science but left because it was awful there. Understand they now run entrance testing which considering the amount of extra groundschool work superfluous to JAR syllabus requirements (when I attended) is a good idea because you'll need to be above the average ATPL standard to succeed there. They started booting people out (penniless and dejected) just around the time I chose to walk but this was in the bad ole days when BAE ran the place like an army training camp! It is probably much nicer there now.

VFE.

ozzieb88
26th Aug 2004, 12:27
Well well

Got m results!! IM SHOCKED!! passed all c and above INCLUDING ENGLISH!!!:D

But science i got a D :( really upset! so the question is will the accept me without a science GCSE? I will be doing maths and physics A level though!!

thanks all info would be great.

Pilot16
26th Aug 2004, 13:03
Some points may I hightlight for the 16 year old wannabes here. :)

Usually to be succesful at ATPL, you need to be reasonably at hand with mathematics, this does not mean to say you need A-Level maths to succeed.

There is no set entrance requirement for entry into any ATPL course by the CAA, however if there are any, it is by the institution itself. The highest qualification requirement I have seen is GCSE maths C, but even so, you can still get in without it!

I dont think there are any strict formal qualification requirements for entrance into any ATPL course.

However having said said that, you should be moderately good at maths and physics to be succesful.

A-Level Physics is an excellent qualification, if you want to be a proffessional pilot. Theories such as, Flemmigs Left Hand Rule, Electromagnetic Induction, Forces equations, Gas volume density and pressure and many other concepts would already be familiar to you before you even start your ATPL course, hence you will find it easier in your ATPL study.

However ATPL is made to be a stand-alone course - you dont have to have a physics A-Level to be succesful.

The level of mathematics at ATPL is fairly moderate, about GCSE level. But obviously, the better you are at maths, the more comfortable you are with any maths in the course.

I highly recommend A-Level mathematics if you are doing A-Level physics as they both go hand in hand and you will find that maths helps you with physics and vice versa.

Logical thinking and being good at mental maths is what really important in being a pilot, and that would be the most important thing you gain from an A-Level in maths and physics, if you do them.

The advanced maths content of A-Level maths would probably be irrelevent to ATPL, as only basics (such as trigonometry) is needed at ATPL. However I am sure it will help your ATPL, if you become super good at the types of maths in ATPL by taking A-Level maths.

Having said all that, I have not started my ATPL yet (starting very soon), and what I have said is based on the pre-course reading I have done so far to get a head start on ATPL. I have just finished my A-Levels one of them was physics which is why I can say what I have said.

Hope I helped.

ozzieb88
27th Aug 2004, 21:05
Hello,

Pilot16 thanks thats soo helpful!! im relieved! now its just a passing the A levels and asking mummy and daddy for £60 K odd! lol

Thanks again

Oz

Pilot16
27th Aug 2004, 22:53
No problemo, glad I could help. Make sure you research everything well. Plan your route. I had learnt to fly as I did my A-Levels and got my PPL, this way I am now able to start on my ATPL by taking a gap year. Ofcourse, the route you want to take maybe different to mine.

All the best

:ok:

P16