PDA

View Full Version : Freezing mouse pointer

Sensible
26th Aug 2004, 00:08
For some reason today, my Samsung Optical Wheel Mouse started to freeze as it passed over parts of the page where there was a button or the text became highlighted. The problem exists whether I am in IE, Word, Outlook or any other programme. The pointer sticks for anything from 10 seconds to when I reboot the computer. I am running XP Profesional and I have tried restoring the computer to last week, run Norton Virus Check, Spybot and re-installed the mouse software. I can use the keyboard to scroll the pages so the computer is not hanging although this is the appearance. The cursor takes a long break when it is moved over a button yes/no/cancel.

Most annoying.

Any clues please?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Aug 2004, 14:19
Sensible,

It would help knowing a little more about the hardware you are running. If your mouse is connected to the PS2 Port, I would turn the computer off, and then make sure the plug is fully in to the PS2 Port. (It would be worth completely unplugging it and plugging it in again.)

If your Mouse is on the USB Port then it could be another problem. Since USB is a hot plug you could try unplugging it from the port and plug it in again while the computer is still running.

There is always the chance the Mouse failed.

Take Care,

Richard

PickyPerkins
26th Aug 2004, 16:02
I had a similar problem of the mouse freezing intermittently for several months until I found a cure last week.

My computer is a HP 990 with a HP optical mouse, running Windows XP Home.
The mouse was supplied bundled with the computer in March 2002.
The problem existed in IE, Works, or any other programme.
The pointer would stick for anything from a few seconds to minutes or reboot.
I could use the keyboard up and down arrows to scroll the pages so the computer was not hanging although that was the appearance.
The problem occurred whether the mouse was plugged into the keyboard USB socket or into the USB on the front of the desktop case.
Unplugging the mouse and then re-connecting it nearly always restored control of the cursor within a few seconds .
I tried restoring the computer to an earlier time and that seemed to work for a period, but then the symptoms came back again and gradually got worse.
Tried "Housecall" and other clean-up systems to no avail.
I finally got a message from the computer along the lines of (I do not remember the exact words) “a USB device on your computer is not installed correctly and may have failed”.

The cure?
Changed to a different optical mouse (Belkin).
No freeze-up now for a week.

BTW, there was a previous thread on this subject a few months ago to which Naples Air Center Richard also responded.
I don't know whether a resolution was found in that case.
Good luck. http://home.infionline.net/~pickyperkins/pi.gif

maxell
26th Aug 2004, 22:24
I have a radio optical mouse and found it gave problems with freezing or going in whatever direction it felt when the DEACT digital phone was in use changed channels on the mouse and all is now fine, unless I make the mistake of putting my mobile phone on the desktop close to it

:O

PickyPerkins
4th Sep 2004, 14:40
Sensible

Just curious about what turned out to be the solution to your "freezing cursor" problem.

Did unplugging the mouse and then re-connecting it restore control of the cursor (temporarily)? http://home.infionline.net/~pickyperkins/pi.gif

sparkie
7th Sep 2004, 19:58
I loaded SP2 on both my home PC and Acer notebook a couple of days ago.

So far no probs with the PC but I am getting a mouse freeze on the notebook. I cant swear it is since I loaded SP2 but the symptoms appear to be very much like those quoted by other contributors to this site, and only seem to have appeared in the last 2 days. I also had Norton flag up a virus but it said it had removed it.

I have tried 2 wireless mouses and fault is still there. I also removed the software for them and the fault is still there when using the touchpad.

Not sure what to do next? any suggestions please

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Sep 2004, 23:48
sparkie,

Since you had a Virus Attack, I would follow the:

Guide for Eliminating Spyware, Adware, and Random Popups (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117136)

And if you do not come up with anything, start a new thread, download Hijack This! (http://www.thespykiller.co.uk) and post the log file here. Do NOT make any repairs. (Hijack This! pulls up everything, including programs that are supposed to be in your computer.)

Take Care,

Richard

sparkie
9th Sep 2004, 19:46
NACI

Hey many thanks will give that a try. I am not certain that I retained a virus as my norton reported that it was removed.

Anyway have logged the site you recommend in my favourites file, will have a go this weekend at trying to get rid of this ruddy mouse freeze

thanks again

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Sep 2004, 23:46
sparkie,

When you are ready, we will be here. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

sparkie
11th Sep 2004, 14:57
NACI

Good news downloaded Spybot and that little sucker soon sorted things out. I had no idea such nasty things were lurking in my notebook!!

Thanks again for your help I have bookmarked this forum for future reference

Keep safe and have a nice weekend

regards

Gerry

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Sep 2004, 21:08
Gerry,

Glad to hear you are all set. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard