PDA

View Full Version : Use or abuse?

ruben_kolla
25th Aug 2004, 23:28
Usage and Abusage

We’re all familiar with this scenario; Someone posts on PPRuNe and makes a spelling mistake. Pretty soon there is another post picking him up for it, followed by an indignant and often abusive post criticising the corrector for being pedantic.

I recently read a post that actually claimed, “language is a very blunt instrument” (which it is not) and that “[spelling] is just not important” See Nite Flite’s post “Pilot or Not”

By spelling incorrectly language is indeed blunted, even butchered in the case of bad punctuation (incorrectly placed commas that alter or reverse the meaning of a sentence). It is a thin excuse to claim that readers know what is meant, how can we if the text does not actually say it?

It surprises me that some feel accurate spelling is pedantic when in fact it is merely correct, particularly in this pedantic business of Professional Aviation. People will complain fast enough if they get 9p change from a purchase when they are owed 90, is that being pedantic? Decision height is what? About 300 ft!! No, I don’t think so…

I’m not saying that everyone’s spelling should be perfect – mine isn’t – it’s the “doesn’t matter” that bothers me, particularly amongst people whose profession requires constant accuracy and identification of errors. Some people are better at writing than others, and sometimes we hit the wrong key and don’t spot it (see the flak someone got for that in the Pilot or Not thread). Some errors are forgivable, some understandable and some beyond the pale, such as “there” for “their” and apostrophising plural’s which is sadly so common.

Or are they just saying that correct spelling etc is not important here on PPRuNe, which is quite a different thing?
There are posts here in every form of English from text-book perfect to internet phonetic scribble, so how should we respond to those we see as wrong?

It is write or wrong to correct mistake’s on every occasion, that is reasonable.

Discuss…

;)

Warning! You had best make sure that when you post a link it does not direct to a commercial site. And..............it does not - as indeed it does - allow pop-ups that use dial-ups!! I have removed the link and that effectively kills it.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Aug 2004, 07:25
But what has this to do with "Spotters Corner" please? And have you noticed the occasional person who doesn't know what he is doing so posts the same topic twice??!!

Avman
26th Aug 2004, 12:35
To validate this thread in "Spotters Corner", I remain amazed at the number of aviation enthusiasts who don't know the difference between hangar and hanger! :p

barbiegirl
26th Aug 2004, 13:03
Ruben kolla wrote

'It is write or wrong to correct mistake’s on every occasion, that is reasonable.'

is this a deliberate mistake then?

PPRuNe Pop
26th Aug 2004, 17:18
So wots rong wiv spelyin misstaks? Evryone dus 'em!

This is a hoary old problem that rears up now and again. Just accept that there ARE people who find spelling difficult. Some are dyslexic and that is a trial. I know, I have two neices who are both dyslexic and they battled through school and college by they STILL make mistakes. But they are very intelligent.

That is the way of the world. Just accept it.

PPP

Jerricho
26th Aug 2004, 19:59
Can't forget that English isn't everybody's first language. Or second for that matter.

Me? I don't speak with an accent...........you do!

PPRuNe Pop
28th Aug 2004, 20:08
I can see no further use for this thread and it is now closed!