PDA

View Full Version : Trevor McDoughnut wants a SAR boy

airborne_artist
25th Aug 2004, 13:08
Anyone else get this:

I read your post on the PPRUNE forum and thought you were ideally placed to make a valuable contribution to the programme.

I am looking for someone on the front line of the rescue services, preferably but not necessarily involved in the Boscastle rescues. Firstly, I want them to explain the amazing work in terrible circumstances the rescue workers did at Boscastle but also to explain how provisions need to be made now if future flood predictions come true. They might feel strongly enough to say that the present infrastructure, perhaps including matters of Victorian sewers and housing on flood plains, leaves us unequipped to cope with climate change and/or simply flooding. Whilst the work of the emergency services was outstanding, they might feel it is miraculous no one was killed and something needs to be done if rescue workers are expected to cope when this happens again.

Remember - you are never more than 10 feet away from a journalist, especially in cyberspace.

Man-on-the-fence
25th Aug 2004, 15:27
Sorry to butt in but how the hell can a Sarboy comment on the state of victorian sewers and housing on Flood Plains????

Confused.

airborne_artist
25th Aug 2004, 15:57
Sorry to butt i but how the hell can a Sarboy comment on the state of victorian sewers and housing on Flood Plains????

That's TV journalism for you. Boscastle was caused by a rainstorm falling over a confined, very hilly area with a river confluence close to the estuary mouth - no flood plain or Victorian sewer to be seen. One small bridge partially prevented the flood water from draining.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story....

ppf
25th Aug 2004, 16:22
Yup I got one to! The funny thing is I got most of the information I posted of the news, o well.

ppf :ok:

mbga9pgf
25th Aug 2004, 18:34
To be fair to the man, at least he had the courtesy to ASK rather than just pull quotes off threads and publish them as bare fact.... Agree though, what aircrew know about "victorian drainage systems" is probably next to nought!

Regie Mental
26th Aug 2004, 10:03
Can anyone PM me please with the contact e-mail for the prog?

Ta

Runaway Gun
26th Aug 2004, 21:09
Good luck RM, I hope they actually listen to you.

27th Aug 2004, 06:30
Yes, I got one too and, what worries me more, is that I got a second one sent straight to my email address - how did he get that Moderators?
Reggie - if you get hold of tell him to do some real journalism and get down the Victorian sewers where he belongs.

airborne_artist
27th Aug 2004, 07:01
Crab

When you registered with Pprune you may have entered an email address, which other registered users can not see, but can send a mail to via a Pprune page. The top of the mail I rec'd showed:

This is a message from Rossi9 at PPRuNe Forums ( http://www.pprune.org/forums/index.php ). The PPRuNe Forums owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

Unless you reply directly to him he won't have your address.

I also received two - I think he pressed the button twice!

Closest I ever came to Victorian sewers was cleaning the porcelain at Dartmouth before evening rounds....

Evening Star
27th Aug 2004, 12:22
matters of Victorian sewers and housing on flood plains

Asking SAR to comment on floodplains seems as about as sensible as getting me to comment upon SAR beyond expressing my respect with regard to the work of SAR.

Simplistic approach to floodplains is typical media thinking anyway. For a start, nobody can give a certain definition of a floodplain. Boscastle flooded, so therefore it is on a floodplain. The trouble is what flood return frequency do you assign to a floodplain. Hundred years? Two hundred years? A thousand years? Start extending the period and in land hungry UK where does that leave us to build? Stops redevelopment in a good proportion of our major towns and cities, so maybe we should just churn up more green belt. Oh that will be popular! Can just see the media howling about that. At the moment we have Planning Policy Guidance Note 25 (or 15 in Wales and 7 in Scotland ... take your pick) which basically, after the media howl in 2000, just about does what I described. As it stands, one should not now get planning permission to rebuild any completely demolished building in Boscastle. Current policy is a complete mess, and even the government sees that as this week they quietly announced a review of the current policy. Time for a sensible approach to floodplain development? Do not hold your breath.

PS This is not political. Policy prepared by last mob and sat on shelf waiting for a media clammer after some bad floods. Politicians and journalists, or most of them anyway, :yuk: .

Hueymeister
28th Aug 2004, 21:00
Looks like SKY beat 'em to it. They've just spent a day at Chiv. Saw an interview with Hugh P (Boss?)

Did they end up going on a job with them in the end?

30th Aug 2004, 06:54
AA - thanks for that - I didn't reply but I was was concerned that a journo might have found a way to beat the system.

Evening Star - I seem to remembver from O level geography that a flood plain is a flat area in the vicinity of a river which flood when the river bursts its banks. Boscastle is anything but flat - so how were Trevor's production team going to connect victorian sewers with a flooded valley? Investigative journalism at its best!

Hueymeister - Hugh P is not the boss at Chiv, he is enjoying being a Sqn shag. It would be unusual for the boys not to get at least one job a day over a bank holiday weekend so SKY should get some good stuff. As ever, the decision to take the TV crew rests with the captain and will depend on the nature of the job.