PDA

View Full Version : AITAL Announces Call For Entries For First Federico Bloch Leadership Award

latinaviation
25th Aug 2004, 11:36
Any thoughts?

AITAL Announces Call For Entries For First Federico Bloch Leadership Award
Tuesday August 24, 5:08 pm ET

MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 24, 2004--AITAL, the Latin American International Air Transport Association, today announced that it is accepting nominations for the first Federico Bloch Award, to be given Nov. 18, 2004, at the association's Latin American Airline Leaders Forum in Miami.
The award recognizes outstanding leadership in the advancement and integration of the commercial aviation industry in Latin America. It is awarded to an individual who launches a successful new business; builds cooperation across the region; introduces progressive business practices; supports the growth of the industry through creating conditions for success, or someone who goes beyond the call of duty to advance the interests of the aviation industry in Latin America.

The award is in honor of Federico Bloch, who was a pioneer in Latin American aviation and the driving force behind the creation of Grupo TACA, a group of five airlines in Central America. Bloch, who was a past president of AITAL and a member of its Executive Committee, was killed April 26, 2004.

"This award honors one of the most influential leaders in Latin American aviation history and a friend to many who saw his passion, perseverance and dedication to opening up new frontiers for Central America," said current AITAL President Juan Emilio Posada, who is CEO of Avianca.

Nominations will be judged by an independent five-member panel with the support of Spencer Stuart, an executive search firm that assisted with the structure of this award. Those judges are:

Fernando Pinto, President of TAP Air Portugal and ex-President of Varig
Alfonso Pasquel, ex-President of AeroMexico
Enrique Borgo Bustamente, ex-President of TACA and ex-Vice President of El Salvador
Bobby Booth, Chairman of AvGroup and AvNews
Kevin O'Toole, Editor of Airline Business magazine
Nominations are due Sept. 22 and should be written on one page, with the specific reason for the nomination and background on the individual.

Nominations should be sent via e-mail to Michael Bell at Spencer Stuart, [email protected]. Nomination forms can be found at http://www.LatAmLeaders.com. All entries must be signed and received by Sept. 22.

AITAL, http://www.aital.org, was founded in 1980, is a non-profit international organization and currently numbers 19 airlines throughout the region that, combined, generate more than $12 billion in revenue.

AITAL will award the Federico Bloch Award trophy at its conference Nov. 17-18 in Miami. The AITAL Latin American Airline Leaders Forum will be held at the InterContinental Hotel and will include leaders from Latin American airlines and aviation. For more information about the conference and sponsorship opportunities, contact Michael Miller at 703-608-2071 or go to http://www.aital.org.

Panama Jack
26th Aug 2004, 06:38
If you're wondering my thoughts on who is deserving of such an award, I would say Ernesto Rois-Mendez, President of la Asociación Latinoamericana de Aéronautica of Arlington, Texas.

His organization certainly has played a roll and strived to build cooperation across the region and introduce progressive business practices through their magazine and seminars.

I've found him to be a charming man who, along with his colleagues at ALA, tries very hard to advance the interests of the aviation industry in Latin America.

luisde8cd
26th Aug 2004, 17:06
I think Aeropostal's CEO Nelson Ramiz should at least be nominated. He has done a lot for Latin American aviation in this past year. Starting Aeropostal: Alas de Centroámerica, buying part of Sol/Air and codesharing with Aeropública in Colombia. He's trying to have nice group of airlines to compete with Grupo TACA and Copa. I wish the best for his iniciative.