PDA

View Full Version : Scandinavian SAS ends Snowflake - introduces three-class concept on European routes

TheBigZ
24th Aug 2004, 22:23
On Monday Scandinavian airlines (SAS) officially scrapped their LF carrier Snowflake. SAS announced that all Snowflake operations will be substituted by a new three-class concept on Scandinavian SAS´ European routes.

Instead of Snowflake´s dedicated low-fare routes ALL SAS European flights will have three classes of service.

1) Business class, with a cabin config of 2-2 regardless of A/C and with full meal service and flexible tickets.

2) Economy flex class, which basically seems to be equivalent to present economy class with cold meals and snacks and semi-restricted tickets.

3) Economy class or whatever they will call it, which basically will be a low cost operation with no meal service (unless you pay extra for it) and only with point-to-point bagage service.

Krueger
24th Aug 2004, 22:38
The first going down from MOL's forecasted bloodbath?:uhoh:

Kalium Chloride
24th Aug 2004, 22:43
I didn't hear that Snowflake was actually being scrapped...

...are you sure? :suspect:

TheBigZ
24th Aug 2004, 22:49
Ok... my bad. Snowflake as a standalone carrier is scrapped. The "third class" on European routes is going to be called Snowflake. It seems that SAS is trying to squeeze business-economy-low fare all in the same A/C. Interesting....

Ramrise
25th Aug 2004, 06:28
Well,

my understanding is that there will actually be four price categories on enery flight:

-Business
-Economy Flex
-Economy
-Snowflake

I hope that this will work.

Regards,

Krueger
25th Aug 2004, 12:09
They'll have to strech the damn plane...:E

johnwalton
25th Aug 2004, 12:42
http://se.yhp.waymaker.net/sas/release.asp?id=101603

Part of the press release:

Economy - A basic product for the price sensitive
Customers whose main concern is the price will be offered our basic product, with focus on self-service. This is a low price offer competing with the lowest fares on the market. Meals and refreshments will be available for purchase on board.

Economy Flex - Increased flexibility and more efficient travel for time-savers
A new offer, Economy Flex, is tailored to the customers whose main concern is efficient travel. Economy Flex gives greater flexibility including free rebooking and refunds, priority check-in, fast lane security in Copenhagen and Stockholm, advance seat reservation, dedicated seating and a complimentary meal and beverages.

Business - Better service in Business Class for comfort seekers
Customers who value a high level of comfort will be offered the best of SAS. In addition to all the benefits of Economy Flex, passengers will be seated comfortably with the center seat empty, there will be extra legroom, an excellent meal, and the convenience of lounge access.

Bamse01
25th Aug 2004, 12:50
Didn't Braathens try this in the mid 90'es with no success?
People didn't like sitting isolated behind a curtain in the back
with no food or drinks.

ABird747
25th Aug 2004, 13:24
People don't like sitting behind the curtain full-stop, especially when there's something better going on further forward...

People want to pay nothing and get everything...

WHBM
25th Aug 2004, 14:30
Didn't Swissair hold out with 3-class European flights in the 1990s, and we saw what happened to them.

Seems strange that SAS have gone from 2 to 3 classes and Aer Lingus have gone from 2 to 1 class on the same day.

TwinAisle
25th Aug 2004, 18:23
Forgive me if I'm being slow here - but that press release doesn't mention Snowflake - it just says that they are going to split out the flexible economy pax from the restricted econ pax on SAS services.

Don't quite see why this is the writing on the wall for Snowflake... they run different routes, and their website is selling away still.

TA

Flap Sup
26th Aug 2004, 16:44
Air France have been operating with a three class config for several years, and with some success.

With SAS having their super eco on their longhaul flights, the eco flex shorthaul could feed the longhaul.

Dunno if its gonna work, though. It is cheap to fly in Northern Europe as it is. Carriers are gonig to have a hard time making money, whichever concept they choose.

/FS