PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airlines jet makes forced landing in Melb & air-hag beats wirraway

air-hag
24th Aug 2004, 18:50
Hey look at me, I beat wirraway. You're slowing down old boy......

Sydney Morning Herald
Singapore Airlines jet makes forced landing in Melbourne
August 25, 2004 -

***Suspected engine failure forced a Boeing 777 passenger jet to make an emergency landing at Melbourne's Tullamarine this morning.

After reporting mechanical trouble at take-off from the airport about 12.50am, the Singapore Airlines plane returned, making a safe landing about 1.45am.

Eleven fire trucks rushed to the scene after the pilot reported the engine problems.

An ambulance spokesman said there had been no reports of injuries.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said it was investigating and would be sending a team down to Melbourne later in the day.

"The engine must have failed on take-off because there was debris on the runway," the spokesman said.

"We are putting a team together to go down to Melbourne and we will be getting hold of the flight recorders to download information."

Singapore Airlines could not immediately be contacted. ***

Buster Hyman
24th Aug 2004, 22:15
Eleven fire trucks rushed to the scene after the pilot reported the engine problems.
WOO-HOO! The boys & girls would've loved that. A bit of excitement instead of the usual "reset the fire alarm" job.
The engine must have failed on take-off because there was debris on the runway
WTF??? Big call for an Ambo! However, if that quote was from the ATSB rep...it's even more astounding!:eek:

Lodown
24th Aug 2004, 22:56
The debris might have been from one or more of the fire trucks. A couple of drivers may have pushed them over 50kmph and caused an engine or two to shed a few pieces of extraneous material. Drama for the firies.

BTW, what is a forced landing? Mine are always forced.

Wirraway
25th Aug 2004, 04:42
AAP

Jet forced down in Melbourne
August 25, 2004

SINGAPORE Airlines has blamed a engine surge for an emergency landing of one of its flights at Melbourne Airport early today.

A Boeing 777-300 passenger jet with 278 passengers and 21 crew dumped some of its fuel load in Port Phillip Bay and returned to Melbourne for an emergency landing about 1.45am (AEST) after passengers saw sparks fly from the left engine.

The aircraft, which had taken off for Singapore shortly before 1am today, landed safely with no injuries reported.

Eleven fire appliances rushed to the airport after the pilot reported engine problems soon after the plane took off.

Singapore Airlines spokesman Samantha Stewart said although the plane could have flown on one engine, airline procedures required the pilot to land at the first opportunity.

"On take-off the aircraft experienced a surge in the left-hand engine," Ms Stewart said.

"The pilot ensured safe clearance of the aircraft and undertook a fuel dump to bring the aircraft's weight down prior to landing.

"At this time it appears that the surge caused the left-hand engine to overheat, resulting in sparks in the engine which were visible to passengers on board."

The aircraft, powered by twin Rolls Royce Trent engines, would not return to service until the engine was replaced or repaired, Ms Stewart said.

Accommodation has been provided for passengers needing it.

"We are doing everything possible to ensure that they are as comfortable as they can be during this delay," she said.

AAP

=========================================

dghob
25th Aug 2004, 05:28
For the Pprune Mediawatch Team:

ABC radio in Brisbane reported on the 1.00 pm news "the Boeing 777 lost one of its four engines on takeoff".

:hmm:

Hot_Section
25th Aug 2004, 05:56
Such a silly error - it must have lost 2 engines as there's only 2 left.

Dummies

Triple 7
25th Aug 2004, 15:05
No problems, this jet flies quite well on one engine, it has massive amounts of thrust in reserve to handle the winter climate temperatures of melbourne. Its all part of SOP, to bring this great jet back to land once under the MLW.

No panic, the media always makes it a bigger issue, those fire trucks make all the noise.

No sweat, its easy as pie.

Capt Claret
25th Aug 2004, 22:48
Triple 7,

you said, it has massive amounts of thrust in reserve to handle the winter climate temperatures of melbourne

are you taking the p!ss?

DirectAnywhere
25th Aug 2004, 22:53
I think the intention was, if it can handle a MTOW takeoff from Dubai in the middle of summer, it can probably handle an 8 hour flight to Singapore with a takeoff at about 8 degrees c!!!!

SkySista
26th Aug 2004, 07:57
Can someone tell me which of the 777's it is that cannot dump fuel inflight? I am sure someone else had brought up this point on another forum, and it made me curious when the newsreader was blabbing on about "passengers in intense waiting for fuel to be dumped".... I thought they had to burn/use it, not dump it?? :confused:

Love how they make such a big deal of a triple 7 flying on one engine.... when a few months ago were singing the praises of the Boeing prototype being able to do the same on leaving Perth on test flights.... :rolleyes:

Sky

sinala1
26th Aug 2004, 08:04
SkySista I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) that it was actually a type of 767 (possibly a -200 series, not sure of exact specs) that can't dump fuel? I know that was discussed on proon not so long ago...