PDA

View Full Version : Corfu

Dogma
24th Aug 2004, 18:13
Good day out to Corfu today! Gin clear landing on 17.

Made more amusing by, A bunch of pesky pigeons picnicking on the runway edge making Air Berlin and Lotte go around from about 200 feet. Good sport.

And some dumb teenage geezer (complete with camera) was intent on standing on the road by the 17 threshold ready to be blown to kingdom come by our mighty CFM C2 767 engines. He too had to be shooo...ed away, after we advised the tower of his presence.

Do any of you know of how many cars and people get damaged in this way every year?

Mark McG
24th Aug 2004, 18:51
You only had to watch that episode of Top Gear a few weeks back to witness the destructive power of a jet engine.

Wycombe
24th Aug 2004, 20:32
....or have been at RIAT Cottesmore 2001 when the B1 opened up ;)

Terror_is_firmer
24th Aug 2004, 22:12
....or have been at RIAT Cottesmore 2001 when the B1 opened up

Did I miss something???

Bottles
25th Aug 2004, 14:20
In the dim and distant past, before LBA's runway was extended,
my brothers and I would frequently stand on the telephone junction box on the grass verge by the RW15 blast fence and attempt to remain upright as the 737-200s opened up to full blast for their takeoff roll. Dirty - yes, smelly - yes, noisy - incredibly, dangerous - maybe, fun - DEFINITELY ! Mind you, those aircraft were fitted with relatively weedy JT8D engines. These days, I don't think I'd fancy repeating this stunt with a 767 ;) .

egnxema
25th Aug 2004, 14:42
How about all those on the road and beach at St Maarten? Do they get blasted?

The end of LBA on the phone box reminds me of the scene from Wayne's World! Party on!

Rwy in Sight
25th Aug 2004, 21:47
I have spent plenty of summers there due to family origins. I can assure you that the traffic lights by the road on the thereshold (sp) have been working really good over the years and I have not heard a single incident or car being blown over.

It is the only place that I know that, I am allways hoping for a red light...

Rwy in Sight

Wycombe
25th Aug 2004, 22:59
TIF,

Some "spectators" (IIRC outside the fence, so not paying to watch either ;) ) were blown across a field when the B-1 opened up for departure - some needed treatment by the RIAT medical services, from what I heard.

kriskross
26th Aug 2004, 17:02
Does anyone remember the donkey that was tethered in the field on the other side of the road from the 17 threshold?

Poor thing, it must have been the deafest (dumb) animal around!!!