PDA

View Full Version : Homepage hijack ,again

tony draper
24th Aug 2004, 11:22
Another dammed search engine has instaled itself as my homepage, cannot get shot of it by going to internet setting and reselecting my home page, had this once before and got rid of it eventually can't remember how now.
The swine thing sailed in past Spybot and Zone alarm(incidently the earlier version of zone alarm was better than the present one I have installed)
Someone on another website suggested a free prog called CW Shredder, but I could never get it to run it kept asking for a DLL my machine apparently did not have.
Any ideas on how to be rid of this intrusive bastard?, it irritates the cacky out of me
:*

Now I think on it, the last time I was advised to look for a particular key in the registry,I deleted same with regedit and that did the trick, had a look in the registry and there dosen't seem to be anything there that doesn't belong.
Can't use the "Find" to track this swine down because it just comes up as blank in the URL slot at the top.

cuthbeg
24th Aug 2004, 12:48
Try using adaware software, there is a new version out and it deals with browser hijacking.

Tried it myself the other night and deleted 26 hijack attamets from my machine.

tony draper
24th Aug 2004, 14:04
Thank you Mr C, adaware did the trick, still lot of stuff seems to get past spybot and zone alarm, dunno whether to delete those two.
Had adaware on once before but it gave me some problems so I deleted it.
Thanks again,great stuff.
:D

Mac the Knife
24th Aug 2004, 18:59
Tony, why don't you download Firefox and use it instead of Incontinent Exploder?

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

It's a much better browser, much more secure and very unlikely to be hijacked.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Aug 2004, 19:38
tony draper,

Download Hijack This! (http://www.thespykiller.co.uk) and post the log file here. Do NOT make any repairs. (Hijack This! pulls up everything, including programs that are supposed to be in your computer.)

Take Care,

Richard

Avtrician
25th Aug 2004, 11:57
Also, try dowloading and running CWShreder. its pretty good at cleaning up page hijacks.

:ok:

E-Liam
25th Aug 2004, 17:22
Hi Tony,

The dll you haven't got will be this one...

MSVBVM60.dll

You can download it from here (http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb60pro/Redist/sp5/WIN98Me/EN-US/vbrun60sp5.exe).

Cheers

Liam

tony draper
25th Aug 2004, 21:51
Well the buggah is back,booted up this morning and there it was, so Zonealarm spybot and adaware don't remove it, I tried downloading that DDL, E-Liam,in fact as far as I know I did download it a while back when I downloaded CW Shredder,but I could not find it,where do I download it to?,ie do I download it to the windows folder?
Thanks for the help chaps, I have discovered a new problem with this scoundrel search engine, when I try and post on a MSN website I am a member of,I get that search engine poping up when I click to post,ergo I can no longer post on that website.
bloody liberty it is.
:uhoh:

AHA!! Thats seems to have done for the swine CWShredde has hunted it down and kicked its arse off me machine,.
Downloaded that DDL from our link E-Liam, and it installed itself no probs this time, I already had Shredder,and it finally ran ok great stuff, thanks again peeps.

:rolleyes:

E-Liam
25th Aug 2004, 22:43
You're welcome Tony, :ok: :)

Cheers

Liam

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Aug 2004, 13:50
tony draper,

That is great news! Glad you sorted it out. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

stickyb
26th Aug 2004, 16:40
Tony, are you keeping Spybot upto date?

I find that spybot seems to stop all these things, but it's one disadvantage is is that you have to keep checlking of rupdates manualy, and also change some of the defaults settings to get max protection. (sorry, thats two!)

Avtrician
28th Aug 2004, 12:16
Bloody Bonza mate (another oziism)

one more for the goodguys

:ok: