PDA

View Full Version : KQ 777 overloaded?

Foxcotte
23rd Aug 2004, 20:08
Okay, here's one for the big boys. Over a few glasses of wine & beer heard a delicious rumor that a KQ 777 on pushback enroute to Europe decided that it was overloaded by 7 tons! Clever aircraft software alerted the captain who confirmed the discrepancy between loadsheet and what the aircraft was telling him and took the bull by the horns, and despite major inconvenience to pax and several hours delay, demanded a recount of the loading. Turned out the aircraft was right - 7 tons of CARGO overloaded!

Several people lost their jobs, several "redeployed" or retired as a long ongoing cargo corruption scam was unearthed!! Turns out many aircraft have been going out with more cargo than officially manifested.

Doesnt that you make you think?!!? As a pilot and a potential passenger! :oh: :uhoh:

B Sousa
23rd Aug 2004, 20:50
Hats off to a Captain unafraid to do the right thing.

kichwa tembo
24th Aug 2004, 09:50
hats off to the captain, boeing technology and to the management for finally getting rid of the rot at cargo.not only were they fleecing millions they were also endangering lives.

found out that in the old fokker27 days the check in staff used to rush to the jkia waving/ observation deck to see whether the plane actually takes off with all the illegal excess baggage and cargo they received bribes for!

good riddance!!!

planecrazi
24th Aug 2004, 10:06
I wonder how many times it landed overweight too?

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Aug 2004, 10:46
Jeez, kichwa....

Scaring me now, mate. I used to fly an F27 in there and we often threw luggage off due to overloading. I've seen carry on luggage being dragged to the aircraft by two sweating porters behind a big fat mamma who took offence when we refused it. On one occasion we had it weighed when it arrived on a trolley and it was over 100kg. How did that get past the check in?

dicksynormous
24th Aug 2004, 12:04
Solid rust,

you say you used to operte an f27 in there. Does that mean you lived in africa?

If so your question on how it got past check in answers itself does it not.

which f27...goma one?:}

fesmokie
24th Aug 2004, 12:33
This problem is not new and not only happens in Africa. We see it all the time in South America, Hong Kong and Miami.;) :} Just the other day we saw a 15 Ton overload out of VHHH.:suspect:

Kopeloi
24th Aug 2004, 12:34
Happens in Europe as well....
Nikolai

plt_aeroeng
24th Aug 2004, 14:27
At least now there is the possibility of the crew finding out before departure that they may be overloaded.

I'm reminded of a story I heard many years ago of a Canadian Airlines DC-8 out of Mexico on Christmas eve. The pilot was disturbed that departure from the high and hot runway, with all engines operating, took a ground run approximately equivalent to runway length.

He insisted, on landing at Vancouver, that all baggage/cargo be weighed. It was determined that departure was 30,000 lb. overweight.

Apparently, baggage agents had not been recording all the tourist's return baggage and most were carrying extra stuff. This must have been a cover for cargo skulduggery, of course, since 30,000 lb. represents over 100 lb. extra per passenger.

Some things never change.

policepilot
24th Aug 2004, 16:31
I used to be in shipping and it happened all the time (not by me,promise). Bribes in the stacking yard by exporters to the chap overseeing the packing of containers. At least we could compare the actual draft marks with the calculated draft. In one port alone we were 1000 tonnes over what we planned for.
It happens often on trains, trucks, ships and planes and the offenders are never brought to book. Good on the captain for refusing the flight. Lets hope if (when) this happens again another corruption scam is unearthed.

The Claw
24th Aug 2004, 18:15
Anyone remember the Sabena flights? No more room in the cargo hold, hell use the toilets........... Used to cringe for Kempton Park, each time they took off! :ugh:

kichwa tembo
26th Aug 2004, 11:28
scary but it happens SRT!

there was once a story of a military air uplift from hawaii i think and the marines had chartered a world airways type of outfit for use of their dc8.

the civvie "loadsheet guy" calculated the weight based on the standard 75kg per pax when indeed each marine( not light chaps by any standard) had 100pounds of gear. there were about 150 of them.

they just made take off before the end of the runway helped by the fact they were at sea level.

for aircraft which don't have load sensing i think the solution is to have a weight recording/sensing loading conveyer on the airside monitored by security. they could still be bribed but it will be reduced by virtue of not being in contact with the pax.

Gouabafla
27th Aug 2004, 09:37
Forgive the ignorance of a poor bit of SLF, but would this story have any implications for the loss of a KQ plane off Abidjan in 2000? I seem to remember that overloading was mentioned as a possible problem there, too.

In any case, well done to the captain for keeping his aircraft on the ground and his passengers safe. Makes me feel a little bit better in my trips around the continent.

Flap Sup
29th Aug 2004, 19:35
Naah,
the Abijan accident was caused by a false stallwarning, while the crew didn't crosscheck the other instruments.
It could have been overweight, but it wouldn't have had any difference.
The 727 that crashed in Benin 'bout a year ago was apparantly overloaded.

bravothree
7th Sep 2004, 13:35
KT
...found out that in the old fokker27 days the check in staff used to rush to the jkia waving/ observation deck to see whether the plane actually takes off with all the illegal excess baggage and cargo they received bribes for!
UNQUOTE

this sounds like a very familiar story which has done rounds in Nairobi West or Dambusters.
Very reliable sources has it that it was only limited to one or 2 check-in agents who, fortunately, are no longer in the aviation field. One of them even took the game to Jeddah but was bundled out faster than lightning when he tried the same trick...
:ok: