PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Tiger Moth pedal car!

tiger burn
23rd Aug 2004, 11:26
I am desperately looking for a Tiger Moth pedal car for my 2 year old aircraft mad daughter. We were literally pipped to the post in the auction at Woburn for the delightful "Tigger Moth" but alas that doesn't solve the problem!

If anyone has a de H 82a pedal car that has been out grown, a knowledgeable, loving de Havilland mad home awaits. Alternatively, if anyone has any ideas re someone I could commission one from then I'd be very grateful.

We're UK based & can travel to collect, but overseas might be a bit tricky.

Hopefully by next Woburn, Stuart if you're reading, there'll be a new category - Tiger Moff pedal races!

Any info greatly received either on this post or to [email protected]

Thank you!

tb

Windy Militant
23rd Aug 2004, 12:42
Hello Tiger Burn,
Is this the Kind of thing your after?
Pedal planes PFA Rally 2004 (http://www.kemble.flyer.co.uk/Friday/PICT0118s.jpg)

More Pedal Planes (http://www.kemble.flyer.co.uk/Friday/PICT0221s.jpg)

If so then I think that there were plans printed in Popular Flying the PFA's magazine. I'm presuming that your not a PFA member so if this is what your after I could put a post on the PFA board to try to get some info about them. :ok:

AerBabe
23rd Aug 2004, 18:55
How wonderful! I'm tempted to scale one up for getting to/from work. :O

PPRuNe Pop
24th Aug 2004, 11:38
PLEASE! No more advertising. I have deleted two and I will have to do it again if you do not heed. Them's is the rules.

fernytickles
24th Aug 2004, 14:57
Oops - sorry, it hadn't even dawned on me that putting the link was advertising - duh ! We have a number of pedal planes at Pioneer Airport for the children (or very short pilots) and I just put the link of the guy who makes them. Guess Ishould have emailed direct to Tiger Burn

PPRuNe Pop
24th Aug 2004, 19:32
I was sure you were not up to mischief 'ferny' but I have to mention these things. However, once a note has been made it is VERY easy to Google and the same result will occur.

Hope everyone finds what they are looking for. I almost wish my grandson was a little younger :{

skydriller
24th Aug 2004, 19:37
Wow!!

They look great, I have a feeling that SD junior (also 2 years old!)would love one of those!!

Ive never seen pedal-planes anywhere before - Could someone in the know please PM me with the relavent info on how to go about getting one too, it appears I missed the 'Link Interdit'.

Regards, SD..

allyn
25th Aug 2004, 09:41
They kind of resemble those old Link trainers....

:p

fernytickles
25th Aug 2004, 12:55
SD - check your PMs

tiger burn
25th Aug 2004, 17:10
Thank you to everyone who has replied so far! Windy Millitant - if you could put something out on the PFA site that would be grand.

I've managed to locate one in NZ but I can't help thinking that might be a wee bit extreme!

Alternatively I'll get the plans & try & find a nifty woodworker to knock one together.

I'll certainly keep everyone posted if we have success.

rgds,

tb

Aerohack
26th Aug 2004, 18:30
tb:

Looks like you missed out twice at Woburn, because one of the second-hand booksellers there had a set of plans for the Tiger Moth pedal-plane among his stock.

If enough 'Pedal Tigers' can be rounded up, I'm sure Stuart will take up your suggestion for Woburn 2005. Indeed, thinking of the success of the gravity-powered go-cart racer downhill challenge at the Goodwood Festival of Speed each year, why not a DH Pedal Plane Challenge for the DHMC Rally? Anyone for a pedal-powered Comet Racer?

treadigraph
27th Aug 2004, 06:46
Hello Aerohack, long time no post!

Cracking idea - and I'll bet Hairyplane would (wood?) put up a strong challenge from a pedal powered Miles or two!

Treadders

Aerohack
27th Aug 2004, 08:09
Treadders,

Yeah, been pedalling away on my own account trying to earn a living, so not much time for PPRuNe-ing, but I am still out here. Were you at Woburn? I was there Saturday. You're right, I reckon this is just the kind of thing Hairy might be up for, strictly Miles of course. If not DHMC Woburn, I wonder if GVFWE would go for it? The Goodwood soapbox thing started off very small, and now some of the big guns in car manufacturing and F1 teams enter.

MJ

treadigraph
27th Aug 2004, 11:29
Sadly not, things fell through. NEXT year... I promise...

My faintly mechanical brain is dreaming up a linkage from rudder pedals, operating in the usual sense, to the wheels to provide the motive power...

And I suppose retractable undercarriage would be a non starter...

fernytickles
27th Aug 2004, 13:50
I have friends who built an alternative version of the pedal plane. They used a fuel pod (from what, I don't know) which they cut a slice off the top, a lawn mower engine, a T-6 throttle quadrant and built the rest themselves (rudder, ailerons, gear etc) to make a powered mini-plane. The first time they taxied it, they hadn't adjusted the engine quite right and nearly got to Vr. It takes an adult (to drive) and one small person, and comes in handy for the Young Eagles who are too young for a flight :)

Aerohack
27th Aug 2004, 15:56
Treadders:

Er, yes, non-starter in every sense, I think! Mind you, fixed-gear that unexpectedly retracts can be awkward in this context, too...
http://img50.exs.cx/img50/4618/DSCF0001a.jpg[/IMG]

fernytickles:
I have a vague recollection of one of the Unlimited teams at Reno using a motorised droptank device for running around the pit area.

treadigraph
27th Aug 2004, 16:01
Ah, is that at Goodwood? Shades of the various BL cars that would unexpectedly fold an axle when asked to do something extreme, such as go around a corner...

I recall that Reno motorised drop tank - one of the Mustangs, might have been Art Vance's Speed Ball Alice, or another painted in the same Unit markings.