PDA

View Full Version : Psychopaths in Australian airspace reform

canuck76
22nd Aug 2004, 10:25
Psychopaths aren't always so easy to spot as a Norman Bates or Hannibal Lecter. They come in all shapes and sizes, say psychologists, and there are far more out there than we think.

That's because they share the same characteristic traits as sadistic killers. Those traits help them to succeed in the short term and can often land them in management roles. Research suggests so-called "corporate psychopaths" vastly outnumber those who commit crimes and end up in prison, New Scientist reports. They are all around us, thriving at the expense of others and making life miserable for those who deal with them daily. Scientists warn that co-workers should be much more aware of their existence to avoid being their next corporate "victim".

Individuals tend to be manipulative, arrogant, callous, impatient, impulsive, unreliable, superficially charming and prone to fly into rages. They also break promises, take credit for the work of others and blame everyone else when things go wrong. The key characteristic of all psychopaths is having no conscience and lacking all signs of empathy with their fellow man.

Most psychopaths are not in prison and have probably never been in trouble with the law. They tend to thrive especially in the high powered professions such as politics, the media, law and business where they can dominate others as part of "getting the job done".

Professor Robert Hare, of the University of British Columbia and one of the world's leading experts on psychopaths, has devised the "Business Scan 360", a test designed to single out psychopaths before they can damage their organisation or the people around them.

Professor Hare is assessing 100 "economic criminals" in the US who have been convicted of fraud and embezzlement in order to determine exactly how corporate psychopaths operate.

"Wherever you get power, prestige and money you will find them," he said.

The same characteristics that can power them into management roles can often lead them down the road of embezzlement, fraud and similar illegal activities. Some have been extremely high-profile figures who have conquered their area of business amid controversy.

HOW TO SPOT ONE
- Does he break promises?
- Does he take credit for the work of others?
- Is he erratic and unreliable?
- Would he disregard a code of ethics?
- Does he manipulate others to his advantage?
- Is he a bully?
- Would he tell you to "pull yourself together" if a family member died?
- Does he set unreasonable deadlines?
- Is he remorseless when set on a goal?
- Does he fly into a rage over a small problem?
- Does he fake sincerity with great conviction?
- Does he think the world revolves around him?
- Is he two-faced?
- Is he lacking in any kind of personal depth?
- Does he blame others when things go wrong?
- Is he unfocused and a poor organiser?

In fact is there one in Australian airspace reform right now?

Uncommon Sense
22nd Aug 2004, 10:39
Those characteristics seemed to line up like holes in slices of swiss cheese.

More calls of Bingo than the Twin Towns Services Club.

Chimbu chuckles
22nd Aug 2004, 15:53
Worked with one in Singapore for a while. He met every one of those criteria in spades.

A very recent retiry from the officer corps of the Aus Army at the time.

And then there's our fav ppruner:E

Chuck.

World'sWorst
23rd Aug 2004, 10:06
Seems I hit a nerve with my last effort on this thread. Even looks like I was censored and deleted. Not very democratic.

Canuck 76. Let me say it again. You have absolutely no idea how close to the truth you are, mate.

Is as far as I'm prepared to go for the moment. W

World'sWorst
23rd Aug 2004, 23:35
OK Canuck,

Do you know if it's possible for a person to pass an ATC or a pilot's licence medical certificate exam if they have a personality disorder like being a psychopath? If they took drugs, would they have to say so to the DAME?

Chimbu reckons he worked with one. Was he a pilot?

Ah it's great to have a few days off!

Uncommon Sense
24th Aug 2004, 00:09
WW:

Looking at the history of your posts (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=1072367&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending), I tend to think you need to look in your own big room of mirrors first.

Not saying I don't disagree with the theme of this thread, but you don't strike me as a 'credible witness' with some of the nonsense you have posted.

Then again, I might just be one of those World's Worst Controllers you mention.

World'sWorst
24th Aug 2004, 00:54
Uncommon Sense, Maaaate...

Very cutting! And here I am trying to do the right thing for a change and playing the game.

I got censored by the Big W, so have to play the rules and make you all guess what I really meant to say.

Tedious, but with a few days off now, I'm happy to play.

And hey, you know how the cookie crumbles. 1100 controllers, 2 extra-superstars, 48 superstar team leaders, 150 rising stars, 700 dedicated hopefuls, and then there's - 200 also rans. World's worst is amongst those me old matey. 199 to choose from - maybe you're one off us - welcome aboard.

tobzalp
24th Aug 2004, 03:26
I did not realise that also rans were ex canberra TMA controllers who went into HR and took a package and ran a courier business.

Chimbu chuckles
24th Aug 2004, 04:06
He had been in the Australian Army.

Honestly the above list is uncanny...you'd have thought it was a written report from his life long annalyst.

Within 6 months of joining the company he had destroyed it.

Chuck.

pug munter
24th Aug 2004, 07:14
C76

Watchout, they're everywhere! Read Hare's book, Without Concience or go to his website
www.hare.org

Its all pretty frightening stuff and then you start recognising the traits in fellow workers that you have tangled with in the past - and then the penny will drop.

Psychopaths (or sociopaths or borderline personality disorder) are fully capable of leading 'normal' lives and often rise to the top of their chosen profession. Its the damage they cause to family, friends and workmates on the way up the ladder that is the problem. Take it from me, the effect they can have is quite unbelievable for one person.

Worth understanding this problem personality trait for your own protection.

Pug