PDA

View Full Version : Hand Luggage removed from passengers on UA flight?

TerryB
23rd Aug 2004, 01:19
This is second-hand but comes from a reliable source so just wondering if anyone else has heard about it or has any comments.

A friend of my mother's recently flew to USA with United Airlines. As they were about to board the flight (ie. after checking in and clearing security in Sydney) they were told they were not allowed to take ANY hand luggage on board except for required medications and their carry on bags were confiscated and loaded into the hold. My mothers friend was carrying an expensive laptop computer and despite her protests this was taken off her. On her arrival in the US she discovered the laptops screen had been broken and she had to purchase a replacement out of her own money so she could do her work. She had tried to claim the cost from UA but they are denying the claim.

Has anyone else heard of this? I can't think of anything worse than a long-haul flight without my carry-on luggage and surely if they confiscated the item and then broke it they should at least pay for the repairs?

Woomera
23rd Aug 2004, 05:41
Sounds rather second hand too...........

Woomera

willadvise
23rd Aug 2004, 09:23
Hundreds more like it here (http://www.untied.com) Goodluck