PDA

View Full Version : ATR Rating??

Sky Roaster
21st Aug 2004, 19:53
Hi all!

Has anyone recently completed an ATR type rating with Sky Blue Aviation at EGTE??

What are your thoughts and have any of you gained employment??

Thanks in advance:cool:

Leo8
22nd Aug 2004, 09:52
There are three contract first officers at the airline I currently work for who did self sponsored type ratings through Sky Blue. From what I have been told, our airline contacted sky blue and asked for some recommendations.

Hope this helps

Sky Roaster
22nd Aug 2004, 11:17
Thanks Leo8

Were these guys taken on, low houred?

Washed Out
22nd Aug 2004, 19:10
Sky Roaster,

Finished my rating at SkyBlue about a month ago. No sniff of a job yet, but have heard some promising noises about certain UK & Ireland operators getting hold of more ATR aircraft. As always - take it with a pinch of salt.

As for SkyBlue - no complaints at all.

Sky Roaster
22nd Aug 2004, 20:15
Washed out,
Was the ground school on a par with ATPL studies or harder? I have also been informed this is one of the "more demanding" TR you can do.

Do you think its worth the risk?

Washed Out
23rd Aug 2004, 13:05
SkyRoaster,

Can't comment about other types but from what the instructors told me the ATR is one of the more complex aircraft. Its a tough course, but then I guess they all are. Just don't go in thinking that 'cos its a turboprop it will be easy!

Is it worth the risk? It was for me, but ask me again in six months!

Leo8 - check your PM's.

Dani
23rd Aug 2004, 14:59
There are some ATR job offers on the all-known agencies, parc/flight aso. Not shure if CMD only or also FO. I had an offer from PAS agency here in Switzerland for an ATR job but wasn't qualified enough.

Sky Roaster
23rd Aug 2004, 15:12
Dani, Washed out

Interesting!

It seems there are possible openings on the horizon, as the already experienced Capts/Fo's want to move onto jets etc.

In a way doing the ATR rating instead of a 737 may show your capabilities more...

Waits for the bun fight!

Sky Roaster:ouch:

Leo8
23rd Aug 2004, 22:27
The ATR is good fun to fly. I dont really have anything to compare it to but from what I have heard it is quite a challenge compared to a lot of 'the big' aircraft.

Definately not the easiest thing to land well!

I did my type rating in Toulouse and didnt find it to be anywhere near as difficult as the ATPL group school but there is still a lot of stuff to work through and the electrical system took me a while to get my head around!

The simulator sessions were a lot of fun. Challenging but certainly nowhere near as much work as the IR!

Dani
24th Aug 2004, 06:58
What I found out that airline turboprops, regardless of types, generally are a challenge to learn and to fly. They have basically the same system layout as a "big jet", so mostly 2 engines, three hydraulic/electrical system and today's EFIS glass cockpit. Some even have CAT III head-up guidance, aso.
On the other hand there is still that Bl00dy prop thing, which, depending on the layout, gives you more or less headaches. While on a jet you just see fading away the thrust during failure, you have to be really quick on handling the prop, otherwise you will spirale your way towards the ground.
Then there is also the bare technique and comfort, which is not at the same level as the big brothers: reliability, maintenance, quality of simulator, operational support. I see no field where turboprop is easier to handle.
So if you say that the ATR is pretty difficult to learn/handle I believe you, telling you that this is about the same as every other turboprop in this class.

Dani

haughtney1
24th Aug 2004, 16:31
Never having flown the ATR42 I dont want to comment on its relative merits/difficulties, however I can only concur with previous comments about turbo-props being a challenge to fly in an operational environment...I always chuckle when I hear jet drivers moan about the problems they face!!!.....try losing a critical engine on a go-around in heavy icing...I think Id give just about anything at that point for a dose of CFM56 or trent 800. ahhhhhhhh Its nice to dream I guess.

Cheers H

Sky Roaster
25th Aug 2004, 12:37
Thanks guys for all the info. I think this is perhaps a good option to go for. Its a gamble, but if you dont take risks you dont get!!

If anyone else has any info on doing this I would be glad to hear.
Pros and cons etc..

Pprune is quite useful!
;)

witchdoctor
25th Aug 2004, 18:30
It's also considerable less pokey down the back than a Dash 8, so for overgrown galoots like me, it involves considerably less head trauma. Interesting organisation of the interior compartments though.

Leo 8

Posts like that are what those of us yet to experience type ratings like to hear.;)

High Wing Drifter
25th Aug 2004, 18:46
Just out of interest, how much is the SkyBlue ATR course?

monkeyboy
26th Aug 2004, 09:11
Sorry to hijack your post, Sky Roaster, it costs £12,000.

MB

Leo8
26th Aug 2004, 12:28
£12000 sounds quite good to be honest! If I remember correctly the Toulouse rating costs closer to £17000 so Its quite a big saving and you dont have the language barrier to cross!

Good luck to anyone who chooses to go for

Sky Roaster
27th Aug 2004, 13:46
Monkey boy

£12000 I wish.... Its more like £13500+VAT

where did you get the info from???

Sky Roaster

Mark Walters
27th Aug 2004, 13:57
:{ Plus Vat brings it to about £15995.00

:ok: I did the type rating course there, very good, nice bunch of people.The course is intensive if you dont get stuck in first day you will spend time studying when you could be resting.(Like most type ratings)

The sim is in Morlaix in France, It is a difficult aircraft to master (might be too strong a word try as i dont think i have yet) but when you do its fun. The aircraft on the base check is nicer to fly and you should get your pride back after that.

Mark

Sky Roaster
29th Aug 2004, 19:41
Cheers Mark

Sounds like the familiar story of sims not quite like the real thing!

I have another question, hopefully some one might be able to answer:- How do you keep a type rating current if you cant gain employment, can you renew in the sim etc?

Mark Walters
30th Aug 2004, 20:39
Your TR is valid for 5 years if after 12 months and you have no time on the a/c you will have to do another LST Licence SkillsTest before you can fly for an airline. But you do not have to do one every 12 months, if you are not flying.

If you are working you have do a

LST every 12 months. the LST is done in the sim, by a CAA of JAA examiner

BUT
31st Aug 2004, 11:44
Hi!

A couple of months ago I was in contact with DAT Flight Academy in Denmark. They do the ATR rating for apx. £ 13,000. There is no VAT added as they don't have that on education in Denmark. They also do combined MCC and ATR courses for £ 14,600. I haven't tried them myself but from the danish forum www.pilots.dk people seems to be quite satisfied. Rumours say that DAT has hired 50% of the students who completed the course....but hey that is just a rumour.

They use the simulator in Thessaloniki, Greece.

BUT :O

Sky Roaster
4th Sep 2004, 17:06
Thanks for all the info, thats good to know a TR is valid for 5 years, if you dont get that lucky break soon after doing the training.

What is the general consensus out there, to get a self funded type rating, for a low hour CPL/IR (340TT in my case, who’s been out of training for a year). Should you go Jet or Turboprop??

Obviously money is a factor, but the flying game is a high risk, high gain venture.

I have seen the various threads posted recently about getting/not getting a rating, but it seems from my viewpoint that you have to do something like this to get on. You have to make your own luck, it wont come looking for you.

south coast
4th Sep 2004, 21:13
read what scroggs has to say about type ratings on the questions page....

very interesting, worth a read.

i am also trying to get a job, 2100tt, 1800 multi turbine....i dont want to pay for a rating because in principle it is wrong to do so.

if you can wait and if everyone holds out, airlines will be forced to train us at their expence.

Mark Walters
6th Sep 2004, 15:01
I did th Tr to try to get a job in Aer Arann because i want to work in Ireland. But their policy at the moment (not when i did my TR) is to take low hour People 350 to 400 hours maybe more and train them. I only have 400 hours but at the moment having a TR is going against me. (My opinion only, from keeping my ear to the ground)

keep the MEIR current, maybe do Instructors course the market does seem to be changing. If you can wait. I know loads of Guys who were looking for the past 12 months or more, who have suddenly got jobs.

The day will come when the TR will be half the price or you will be bonded. When that is nobody knows.
Another 911 could put a stop to that. :uhoh:

The Market wants experience you cant get thta without a Job, you cant get a job without exp......................................,

You know the rest.

hang in there if you are under 30 you have loads of time.

Mark

pilotchap
29th Oct 2004, 14:32
it now costs more than that i believe its £13,500 +VAT

ACE Diamond
29th Oct 2004, 16:22
Has anyone got any contact details for Skyblue Aviation.

Cheers :D

TwoDeadDogs
29th Oct 2004, 20:37
Hello
MW et al,
My spies in Aer Arran tell me that, unless you have been "blessed" with attendance at Oxford or Jerez, you can forget it.The latest eight picked for entry are all from the above, two of whom are on hold.One B.......C.......is the deciding individual (ex-EI).Basically,unless you meet his criteria,forget it.Only two,to my knowledge,made it in after he came on board.
I'd love to fly for AA but are not "blessed"
regards
TDD

monkeyboy
30th Oct 2004, 06:16
http://www.skyblueaviation.com/index2.html

The usual, I have no connection with SkyBlue, I'm just a techie geek! :8

Sky Roaster
10th Nov 2004, 21:02
Fiddler 55 check your PM.

Johnny Hotspur
18th Nov 2004, 14:04
Washed Out, Mark Walters.... you guys found work after doing the Sky Blue thing?

Did you go for it Sky Roaster... any joy since?

Leo8
18th Nov 2004, 17:11
Just a word of caution.

Dont know if anyone has seen the Aurigny update on ppjn but it doesnt look like they are doing too well at the moment.

Not too sure if they will be taking on any low hour self funded type rated for quite a while.

Maxiumus
18th Nov 2004, 17:22
"the flying game is a high risk, high gain venture."

or more accurately, high risk and ever diminishing gains, due in no small part to the actions of you and your ilk.

south coast
19th Nov 2004, 16:36
i am considering an atr rating...

what do you think of my chances with 2150tt and 1800 hours multi turbine on gaining employment after a rating?

opnions wlecome...

i know nothing is for sure, but just would like an idea before spending a lot of money.

:\

Nearly Man
3rd Jan 2005, 09:31
South Coast

Are you having a laugh?

COTTERS
3rd Jan 2005, 13:16
:{ :{ :{ I may as well give up :{ :{ :{ :E