PDA

View Full Version : DIE HARD II - ITV Tonight 2115

JB007
21st Aug 2004, 16:18
If you want a damn good laugh at Hollywood research at it's best - check out Die Hard II tonight...

Keep at look out for the British airline "Windsor" and it's flight crew - side splitting stuff!!!

Cheers
JB

Sausagehead
21st Aug 2004, 16:31
I like the fight which takes place on top of the wing when the aircraft is taking off.

Jinkster
21st Aug 2004, 16:57
I like the fight which takes place on top of the wing when the aircraft is taking off.

Yes thats right, 120mile runway and the 747 must have a Vr of about 40knots because after 20mins of the fight thats the speed its doing

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Aug 2004, 07:05
...there was me thinking it was a documentary...

No_Speed_Restriction
22nd Aug 2004, 08:21
People, People. Its a film. No need to analyse. If the ILS recalibration didnt make you laugh then nothing would off.

Yipee Kayey "£$"£$

BitMoreRightRudder
22nd Aug 2004, 09:39
'Rack em, Stack em and Pack em'

Jinkster
22nd Aug 2004, 09:48
Just to add:

Did anyone see the guy running around with a whiz wheel in the tower just after the runway lights had closed down?

:rolleyes:

simon brown
22nd Aug 2004, 10:17
No, but i distinctly remember wondering why a transport plane had ejector seats....and what sort of Hollywood Mk1 plane was it anyway?...

Did anyone notice the guy taking his laundry out of a radar display.

Foz2
22nd Aug 2004, 10:59
Setting fire to the fuel at the end was another good one!! As we all know Jet A1 doesn't burn unless it is vaporised and it doesn't vaporise untill it gets to about +45degC. As it was snowing I would hazard a guess that the ambient conditions were not quite warm enough for burning kerosene!!!

Sheer Class!!

Foz:ok:

simon brown
22nd Aug 2004, 11:37
I remember at an RAF station they were doing a demo on how to put out fires.They had this 6" tank of Jet A1 that they practice on...........and they couldnt get it to catch fire...

I would have thought a more plausable ending would be to let them fly out over the sea, scramble a few F15s.....

longarm
23rd Aug 2004, 00:23
...and don't forget if you need to dump fuel for any reason it's the big lever marked FUEL DUMP on the pylon of No 2 ENG easy to reach in an emergency.

Oh yes, no need to worry about bird strikes, it ran fine after the man strike!

witchdoctor
23rd Aug 2004, 10:11
But you can't beat the logic of "Hey, there's a crashed aeroplane down there. Let's land on top of it and it's trail of burning wreckage as that's bound to be the safest place to be." Astounding deduction Holmes.

As for the manic grin from the approach director when he says "I think they've worked it out for themsleves.....listen". I still think Maclaine shot the wrong guy. Talk about criminally insane. ;)

Love the 'emergency' door at the overwing exit on the 747 too. Swings open and shut like a normal door and fitted with a regular handle. Hilarious stuff. Dontcha just love Holywood.:}

Flypuppy
23rd Aug 2004, 11:28
For high inaccuracy you really need to see Turbulence. An amazingly bad film coupled with innacuracies that make Die Hard 2 look like a documentary.

Jerricho
24th Aug 2004, 14:53
FP, you beat me to it. Especially the bit where the truck gets stuck on the landing gear, and Lauren Holly convinces the fighter pilot ordered to shoot her down to simply shoot the truck off. Priceless!!!

MichaelJP59
24th Aug 2004, 15:38
Talking about long runways, there's a fight on a Learjet on its take-off roll in the film Face/Off - I seem to remember that making the runway about 30 miles long!

Don't know why the movie industry always seems to have to overdo anything to do with aviation, you could do plenty of spectacular stuff with jets without breaking all the laws of Newton!

- Michael

skyrabbit
25th Aug 2004, 23:04
amazing stuff.....the Brit 'Windsor' flight that was supposedly flying on fumes erupted into an enormous conflagration!.......crew musta had a major curry is my guess! :p

Rabbs :)

No_Speed_Restriction
28th Aug 2004, 12:41
Now I know where our supply of flammable welsh cakes have gone to.

A. The Windsor flight
B. Buried in Frank Sinatra's coffin

corsair
28th Aug 2004, 19:05
Regarding Jet A I remember working in an engine shop where people smoked around drip trays containing fuel. But a fag end thrown into Jet A would be extinguished.

As for Die Hard. You can't criticise the faults because I think much of it was done tongue in cheek. They threw every cliche and a few new ones at the plot. The terrorists took over the radio but all anyone had to do was get into another aircraft and use the radio in that. The whole plot depended on the villain getting free on the four engined C123 (Why?) shooting the pilots and landing it himself. Why didn't he do it earlier and fly himself away? The whole way through the film is one implausible plot twist after another.
Right at the end of the movie when the 747 is in the hangar. Did anyone notice all the mechanics running around working amongst the terrorists. One ran across the shot rolling a wheel.

The fact it the movie was a complete romp. I thought 'Turbulence' was of the same ilk. It had elements of 'Airplane' in it deliberately I think.