PDA

View Full Version : IMD HUMS improves helicopter lifecycle

Heliport
21st Aug 2004, 14:00
Army News Service New technology improves helicopter lifecycle

WASHINGTON, Aug. 20 – New technology being installed on helicopters provides preventive maintenance information that will increase the lifespan of its components.

The 101st Airborne Division and the Utility Helicopter Project Office co-hosted a demonstration of the Integrated Mechanical Diagnostic Device Health Usage Monitoring System at the Pentagon Heliport Aug. 19.

The primary goal of the IMD HUMS is to enhance maintenance by collecting and processing data about the critical mechanical systems and life-limited components on the aircraft. Aircraft parts will no longer need to be replaced based on their predicted lifespan; instead parts will be replaced as needed.

“This is the first system that recognizes regime profiles, which allows us to extend component lives,” said Col. Cory Mahanna, project manager for utility helicopters. “The system monitors in real time what the aircraft does.”

The information collected by the IMD HUMS is stored on a data card. That information can be downloaded onto the battalion’s intranet so that the status of all aircraft can be monitored. In remote locations without intranet access it can be downloaded onto a stand-alone computer. The system also generates e-mails regarding flight maintenance.

Maintenance officers, pilots, commanders and safety and standards officers view data collected by the IMD HUMS. The information collected shows restrictions, inefficiencies, inspections and service schedules of aircraft.

Additionally, the system directs signals and data to the Cockpit Voice/Flight Data Recorder to meet flight safety objectives.

Not only will the IMD HUMS create changes for aircraft maintenance, but the system could also affect operations. Col. Will Harrison, 159th Brigade commander, predicts that the turnaround time between combat missions will decrease.

The cost of IMD HUMS installation is $150,000 per aircraft. Congress has allocated $56 million through 2005 for the project. Funding was not derived from the termination of the Comanche re-modernization project.

IMD HUMS were first installed on 20 UH-60L Black Hawk helicopters between September 2003 and January 2004 in Mosul, Iraq. The program started before Sept. 11 but was delayed. When the 101st Airborne Division re-deployed from Iraq, IMD HUMS were installed on the last 10 helicopters.

“We realized we needed as quickly as possible the benefits from the IMD HUMS – great reduction in manpower costs while in theater and the opportunity to take real measurements in combat not measurements based on projected data,” said Harrison.

widgeon
21st Aug 2004, 16:28
Which manufacturers give an increase in Overhaul limits when Hums is installed ?. IF i recall correctly the big problem selling hums to the civil market (excluding areas where is is mandatory ) has been the lack of ROI , correct me if I am wrong but I think there is no difference in the overhaul cycle with or without hums for the Major expensive components ( Engines , gearboxes and rotor heads).

( above comments refer to retrofit of HUMS )

ATN
22nd Aug 2004, 14:30
Widgeon,

You are right, at this time no manufacturer has extended the TBO of critical components.

There was a case, I think it was a Bristow S 76, when a peak of abnormal vibrations from the MGB was detected by the system. SK did not recognised it - maybe because it was a retrofit - and refused to deliver a new gearbox under the hourly insurance system, and the operator had to pay for a new one.

I think for the IHUMS or equivalent to develop :
first, accuracy and reliability will have to be improved
second, the manufacturers and the regulatory agencies will have to come up with rules or regulations.