PDA

View Full Version : South African Airways and Qantas at MAN

Vuelo
21st Aug 2004, 12:39
Can anyone add any more to the rumpur that SAA and QF are looking to re-establish direct services from MAN to JNB/CPT and BKK/SYD respectively?

QF are currently running a feeder service in to LHR with a BAe 146..I assume to protect their slots?

Globaliser
21st Aug 2004, 13:08
AFAIK, QF started the feeder service to MAN to slot-sit the slots they bought so expensively, pending the introduction of LHR-HKG services. Those got approved rather faster than I'd anticipated - now to start sometime in November, IIRC. The times of the MAN feeders were a useful early warning sign for the HKG timetable!

Tom the Tenor
21st Aug 2004, 15:18
What are the chances of prices coming down on the London to Hong Kong route now that QF are joining the fray? Have checked a few times and the BA, CX prices are always high.

Any other suggestions for getting to Hong Kong at the best price?

Thanks.

akerosid
21st Aug 2004, 18:34
Try Trailfinders in Dublin, although many of their flights go from London. Any of the major UK papers have ads for the big UK agencies, so you should find something good there; EK might well be the best choice, but there are many others if you don't mind flying indirectly.

Globaliser
23rd Aug 2004, 14:10
Tom the Tenor: What are the chances of prices coming down on the London to Hong Kong route now that QF are joining the fray? Have checked a few times and the BA, CX prices are always high.

Any other suggestions for getting to Hong Kong at the best price?If you're not under time pressure, wait for fare sales. Although normal published non-stop prices to HKG are indeed high, in the last 12 months there have been some cracking fare sales by BA to HKG, including extraordinarily good value T class fares. In February 2004 I did one of the latter for something like £599+tax. I think it was constructed on an economy fare of £199+tax. The best thing was that while the fares were on sale there was lots of availability, so it wasn't a phantom offer.

Tom the Tenor
23rd Aug 2004, 15:54
Thank you both for the updates above. Will be watching the Sunday papers and the seat sales from now on. It is She Who Must Be Obeyed has the greater interest in wishing to go to Hong Kong but I am sure I can warm to the idea too! Bet the new place at Chep Lak Kok can be mighty fine too!? :cool: