PDA

View Full Version : defrag not running correctly

olderairhead
21st Aug 2004, 07:22
Last time I used defrag it worked perfectly. However when I tried it yesterday, the application started ok but when I click on defrag or analyze a message pops up saying "Disk Defragmenter could not start".

I have run scandisk, I have tried in safe mode, I have run msconfig and disabled all startups and still the same result.

I am aware that some versions of zonealarm can affect defrag but mine is ok.

Does anyone have any ideas that may help?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Aug 2004, 18:17
olderairhead,

Which OS are you using?

It is hard to guess, since we have no idea which OS or hardware you have.

It can defragment only local volumes.
It can defragment only one volume at a time.
It cannot defragment one volume while scanning another.
It cannot be scheduled.
It can run only one Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in at a time.
It cannot defragment NTFS volumes with cluster sizes larger then 4 kilobytes (KB) in Windows 2000.This limitation has been removed for Disk Defragmenter in Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows Server 2003.
Fine-grained movement of uncompressed NTFS file data is not possible in Windows 2000. Moving a single file cluster also moves the 4-KB part of the file that contains the cluster. This limitation has been removed for Disk Defragmenter in Windows XP and later.
In Windows 2000, it does not defragment NTFS metadata files, such as the Master File Table (MFT), or the metadata that describes a directory's contents. This limitation has been removed in Windows XP and later. It cannot defragment encrypted files in Windows 2000. This limitation has been removed in Windows XP and later.

Take Care,

Richard