PDA

View Full Version : JAR Licence - Is there a JAR country that recognises Aust ATPL (A)

rotormat
21st Aug 2004, 05:37
I have an Australian ATPL (A) Licence with CIR-ME-A and over 2000hrs. I would like to get a JAR licence to try and work in the UK or Europe.

Is there a JAR country out there that recognises this licence or do they all, like the UK CAA, require you to resit the complete ATPL theory and do a flight test?

Has anbody found another way.

Feather #3
21st Aug 2004, 06:49
Is that 2,000 command hours on heavy jet RPT? If not forget it!

Anybody not JAR is, almost by definition, an aviation moron. In reality, it's an action in restraint of trade, non ICAO, and you could even get up a case in the WTO if you tried. Not on my budget!!

I could go on, but that's enough for a lovely sunny Saturday afternoon with Spring springing around.

Cheers ;)

PS Reddo may be able to give further non-UK CAA advice, but my hunch is that they're welcoming by comparison with the others!!!!!:uhoh:

DeltaT
21st Aug 2004, 08:51
Your hours will be recognised only. Not the licence or the theory.
You will be exempt mandatory training hours (that newbies would have), that will be all.
So yes, pass the theory and flight tests again

redsnail
21st Aug 2004, 11:37
As Feather#3 has alluded to, JAR is a bit of a mongrel re conversions. Funnily enough, the UK are possibly the most flexible. (Note, i nearly choked typing that out).
They will still issue a UK ATPL valid on G reg aircraft only (and not transferable to another). You need a min of 3000 hours TT with at least 1500 hours in command of aircaft +30 tonnes on primarily international or similar routes. You only have to do 2 exams and a sim ride etc...
Eg Feather#3 would be sorted but his FO would have to do the full 14 exams. Fair?.....

There were some cases of countries waving various requirements but that was pre JAR. Also, it was at a time of unprecedented hiring in Europe.

At the moment, Australia doesn't require folks to have 500 hours multi pilot prior to the issue of an ATPL. If for some unknown reason Australia wanted to align themselves with JAR then that would have to change.

From what I can tell, the exams are getting "easier" in that the training providers have half an idea as to what's in them.

In Australia, NZ, USA and Canada, single pilot IFR stuff is highly regarded. Europe? No, they don't really care about it (most haven't done it except during their training).

Raw Data
21st Aug 2004, 13:30
You think the JAR countries are bad, try getting your JAA licence validated in NZ or OZ... good luck!

Daggles
1st Sep 2004, 12:26
I have an AUS ATPL with 9000 hours/5000 on A320 as FO. I hear if I have a JAA ATPL I can more easily convert it to a CAAS ATPL. So can this be done easily and if so is it any easier for me to get a JAA ATPL?