PDA

View Full Version : Qantas bins its box menu

Wirraway
20th Aug 2004, 18:35
Sat "Weekend Australian"

Qantas bins its box menu
By Steve Creedy, Aviation writer
August 21, 2004

THE reign of Qantas's much-maligned boxed meals is about to end, with the return of hot food for economy class passengers in an upgraded a la carte cabin service.

The new service, to be launched on Wednesday, is one of several refinements the airline is introducing to domestic and international flights to meet rising consumer expectations.

It runs against the trend in other parts of the world, where domestic full-service carriers have downgraded cabin offerings to cut costs.

Few tears are likely to be shed for the Neil Perry-inspired boxed meals, which have had a chequered history since their introduction in 2000.

In 2002, Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon was forced to acknowledge passenger complaints about the boxes by admitting the airline "forgot to put any food in them".

The new system means passengers will be able to select what they want from a range of gourmet offerings.

Economy passengers, who were recently forced to make do with rolls and muffins, will again be given the option of hot meals.

People travelling on longer flights and business-class passengers will get a choice of two hot meals.

The decision to upgrade service was prompted by Qantas customer and staff research, and is aimed at satisfying business and leisure passengers opting for its two-class service ahead of the low-cost carriers.

It comes after Qantas last year upgraded its east coast-to-Perth economy class to international standards and introduced complimentary wine and beer on evening Cityflyer flights.

==========================================

rescue 1
20th Aug 2004, 22:47
It would seem that the OZ traveller is now wanting full service.

Consumer trends are constantly changing - KFC are always updating there menu for example. Perhaps Messrs Godfrey and Corrigan might need to change the way they do business to claw back customers.

Going Boeing
21st Aug 2004, 00:53
The lunch boxes were brought in as a means of reducing the number of flight attendants on each flight (eg 5 down to 4 on a B737). Now, after everybody is used to the new crew complement, they will return to full service - not a bad way to get staff to work harder?

Buster Hyman
21st Aug 2004, 02:02
But I thought they were there for safety GB, not service...:confused: :rolleyes: :}

gaunty
21st Aug 2004, 02:52
Buster Hyman

touche.

"full service"? thank goodness.

Now they have Jet* up and running, in marketing parlance its called differentiation.

You pays your money, you get what you pay for. :ok:

They do not have any choice, otherwise they are bled to death by "son of". :uhoh:

From Perth we do not have the Jet* option but we do have an active VB.
I know where my money goes on this route as it is one of the rare occasions when I am "forced" to relax for 4 or 5 hours. Have a nice meal, a good wine or three and a snooze, no telephone, no internet, no I need to talk to you right now, just peace and quiet. :zzz: :)

Rich-Fine-Green
21st Aug 2004, 20:20
Smart move by Dixon.

When you are the only 'full-service' game in town. Rather than cut service due to lack of competition - increase the gap further between full-service and discount/leisure.

A further move towards QF/TN vs AN service standards will create a bigger value gap between DJ and QF (and between QF and J*).

The box menu, although not matched by DJ, was a reduced standard compared to days gone by.

What will DJ do now?. Offer more discount seats which QF will find hard to match and butt heads with J* or edge towards a semi full service and then try to squeeze into Star Alliance for UA and SN on-carriage (hard right now due to lack of BC service).

I have recently done the red-eye PER - SY in both Business and Economy and the service is great. Well done QF.