PDA

View Full Version : BMI full emergency @ LHR

Murray_NN
20th Aug 2004, 15:17
A BMI AC declared a full emergency landing today at LHR with hydraulic problems.

I could not catch the flight number or type of AC.

I hope this is not connected to the Fokker incident. I saw a BMI Fokker land at the similar time to this emergency, I hope its not the second problem with the same plane.

Anyone in the know?

LGB
7th Sep 2004, 17:54
So, what's a half emergency, or is it in percent where 100% = "full" ?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Sep 2004, 18:08
If I recall correctly, emergency categories at Heathrow are:

1. Local Standby
2. Full Emergency
3. Aircraft Ground Incident
4. Aircraft Accident Imminent
5. Aircraft Accident

The emergency category is decided by ATC based on information provided by pilots or other agencies. "Local Standby" involves just the airfield emergency services. For all other categories the local services are supplemented by services from outside.

Interconti
7th Sep 2004, 18:15
Only partially correct.

Emergency or urgency is declared by the pilot in command!

However, I am sure that ATC facilities have their internal gradations to cope with such occurrences in an appropriate manner.

Cheers

:ok:

Gonzo
7th Sep 2004, 19:51
HD's right. Flight crew declare either 'mayday' or 'Pan', and ATC react to that by initiating an appropriate response, which HD describes.

APP Radar
7th Sep 2004, 20:16
Pilot may declare emergency or urgency, however the decision on how to deal with it "local standby", "emergency", ... belongs to ATC together with airport authorities (at least here ... )

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Sep 2004, 20:22
Interconti... I said the emergency category is decided by ATC, which it is.

The pilot can declare an "emergency" but what happens thereafter is decided by ATC based upon information from the pilot. There are also situations when ATC determines that an emergency exists before the pilot knows about it - typically burst tyres. These can be seen from tne tower and the fire service will be on its way before the pilot may be fully aware.

All the best..