PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Air Tours 707s

1970s Spotter
20th Aug 2004, 09:28
Way back when (1976 actually), when Stansted was an interesting airport, there were a couple of JT4A powered 707s stored/wfu over by ATEL/TMAC/Dump area. N714FC and N702PT painted in Perfect Tours colours.
They never moved.
What's the history of these two at STN? Who were PT? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Is it me or was STN great then? About two movements a day, permission granted from ATEL wander round their ramp, the place cluttered with old 707s and Britannias....:{

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
20th Aug 2004, 09:48
Try this link

http://members.ams.chello.nl/s.c.verbrugge/707.html#707

the c/n`s you want are 17592 and 17677

Golf india bravo

Golf Charlie Charlie
20th Aug 2004, 12:30
1970sSpotter - yes, I am not sure whether two movements a day was 'great', but I know what you mean. I recall those Perfect 707s, roughly where the control tower is today, I guess ! There was a Martinair DC-7 around that time as well in the same area.

I have a memory of Transmeridian DC-8s and CL-44s, also IAS Cargo DC-8s. And I recall watching a British Airways VC-10 one day doing endless touch-and-go's (about 1977). Security in those days ? What security.

And then, a bit later and not all that long ago, ie. about 1990, when I did my IMC rating, you could always use Stansted to practise ILS's without getting in anyone's way.

MAN777
20th Aug 2004, 15:28
Sunday evening was always the best time to visit Stansted in the 70/80s. A rush of Scandinavian charters made the old terminal bulge at the seams.

Sterling Caravelles, Scanair DC10s / A300s, SAS DC8s etc etc.

Flightmech
20th Aug 2004, 19:27
MAN777, you're correct. Sunday nights were great. Little or no ramp-space remaining as they filled up with the previously mentioned a/c, plus the Braathens, Maersk and the one & only Busy-Bee 732's, plus the Conair 707's (or 720's).

ramsrc
23rd Aug 2004, 06:28
plus the Conair 707's (or 720's). Enough to bring a tear to the eye! Back in the days when my Dad used to take me to the airport and I would stand awe-struck as the ground shook when an aircraft selected take off power, and would then soar into the sky leaving four brown smoke trails in its wake... Wonderful!

HZ123
27th Aug 2004, 16:06
Not forgetting Saturn stretch DC8's Indian Air Force Connies and the many odds and sods, Carvairs & CL44's 72/73 plus a couple of ELAL 707's (Donaldson - as they went bust) I recall German registered tristars spending some weeks training.

GAZIN
27th Aug 2004, 20:57
Aaah the good old days at Stansted:p Lloyd Intl Britannia's, Channel A/W Comets. All those crew training flights, I am sure I remember the QANTAS "V" jet 707's doing circuits, Brits, Vangaurds & 44's with props feathered! Does anyone else remember a 707 with a flower painted on the fin, parked on the mufflers?, my sisters & I called it the flower power jet, seemed to be there for ages. Then there were the CAFU Doves & a certain Piper Apache 'Mike Yankee' of Thurstons Aviation, but best of all there was TMAC.

1970s Spotter
31st Aug 2004, 06:49
The 707-321 with a flower on the tail was 9M-AQD of Southern Cross Malaysia, it returned to STN some years later as N714FC in Perfect Tours colours.

The first time I went to STN as a kid was in Nov 75, got off the train at Bishops Stortford and discovered there was no bus service to the airport, so I walkled all the way. Once at the apt. there was NOTHING happening, so I walked round to ATEL (the nose-to-nose hanger, can't remember the number, 4 possibly) where the kind watchman there let me go o/b a 707 N705PA and a Young Cargo Britannia. Walked back to the terminal in the dark, another YC Brit came in and taxied over to ATEL and shut down straight away. Luckily I discovered a bus that took me back to Bishops Stortford...and home to Sarth Lunnen.

Despite this I was hooked by the place and went many, many times subsequently, sometimes on foot, sometimes by bike. Built up a good friendship with ATEL who always let me go out on their ramp and inside any planes they had in - old 707s, CL44s, Britannias, Viscounts etc etc.

Happy Days

411A
2nd Sep 2004, 05:36
70's spotter,

You mean you never heard of Perfect Air Tours?
Egyptian owners (three brothers), London offices, Lisbon flt ops, US registered (quite well maintained) 707's (three in the fleet, actually).
The company at the times was the largest inclusive tours company in North Africa (possibly all of Africa) and decided to operate their own aircraft.
Aircraft were leased from FB Ayer, sent to heavy maintenance, painted, and started service, mostly Africa-Europe.
Then, the Angola airlift started in late 1975, and many flights were flown Lisbon-Luanda vv.
The chief pilot was a very good friend of mine, and had many Hollywood and sports car racing connections.
He was roukie of the year in 1965 for the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA).
Then, like all family associations, difficulties developed. The brothers had a falling out, and the aircraft were parked. The chief pilot migrated to Sudan Airways and SaudiArabian, and others to TMA, SQ and Air Malta.

All had a grand time, and were all paid on time.;)