PDA

View Full Version : Self-sponsoring your CPL/IR training?

Gonzo
20th Aug 2004, 08:51
Just wondering if anyone has any bone-fide tips or suggestions for those of us embarking on the daunting self-sponsored CPL/IR training? Despite being a PPL holder I have decided to go down the route of Approved Integrated Training since this seems to be the beter way of landing an F/O postion with a better reputed scheduled airline.

Any tips on life insurance/ if training provider goes bust? loan provider? bursaries/scholarships/sponsorships? unions?

any thoughts on any of the above?

(I am not Gonzo, just using his user-name)

GJB
20th Aug 2004, 09:05
For someone who has posted so many times, i would have thought you would already know the options you have.

Suggest you run a search.

Good Luck with the training and it would be nice to hear how you get on.

discretion
20th Aug 2004, 09:45
Gonzo,wouldnt bother with spending a small fortune to end up (if you are lucky),being treated like s..t by lousy employers,on hire/fire contracts.Been prof aviator for 28yrs,never seen T and C so appaling,Check out RYR forums before bankrupting yourself for some as...le..Better off driving the tube!!

Vee One...Rotate
20th Aug 2004, 20:49
GJB,

The poster is not the 500-posts veteran named Gonzo - he says so at the end.

discretion,

Think the poster is already set on becoming a professional pilot!

"Gonzo",

You should indeed run a search - the answers to most if not all of your questions are on this site - I've seen them! Few pieces of advice I would give though: try to pay as you go i.e. be VERY reluctant to pay large sums of money up front. You could also try using some kind of escrow account. Both of these approaches may protect you if a training provdider goes bust. Scholarships and sponsorships are few and far between...not to mention very, very VERY hotly competed over. Worst they can say is "get out of my office, you wannabe" though so go for it :ok:

Loans: many big-name banks offer professional development-type loans...so do the government. Research around. The same with sponsorships - have a root around. Look up CTC, & GAPAN - there's more like these.

People on this site tend to be rather relucant to repeat answers to questions already answered a dozen times so really abuse that search function first :) Trust me, you'll end up with too many answers...!

Good luck,

V1R

BillieBob
20th Aug 2004, 22:29
I have decided to go down the route of Approved Integrated Training since this seems to be the beter way of landing an F/O postion with a better reputed scheduled airline. What idiot told you that? There is no, repeat NO advantage in the integrated route when it comes to getting a job with a reputable airline. Just ask BACX what proportion of their recent hires are integrated students.

There are advantages to some people, who benefit from the more structured approach of an integrated course, but the airlines don't give a flying f%^&k whether your training was integrated or modular so long as you perform well at the interview and sim check.

This wouldn't be a certain marketing department lying through its teeth again, would it?

EGAC_Ramper
21st Aug 2004, 18:56
Myself am going through the self sponsoring phase to obtain my fATPL.Infact just returned home from OAT's and Gatwick after my initial class 1 medical.:ok: As for whether modular or integrated I've decided upon the modular route although on a full-time basis.Will have my 150TT done by end of February 2005 and begin hopefully OAT March on the full time groundschool then just keep carrying on til I finish the lot.Certainly i think modular is the way to go.

Regards

Straightandlevel80kt
22nd Aug 2004, 09:02
My personal opinion is as follows:

If you're under 26, apply like mad to the sponsorships/ bonds, or better still join the RAF. Don't pay out any money for self-sponsorship until you've exhausted those options or have turned 26, as things are improving, and you might kick yourself later.

If you're over 26, your options are limited, and you'll probably need to go self-sponsored. In this case, my personal opinion is to go modular, definitely. It's cheaper in the long run, you can pace it, and it is a complete myth that you stand a better chance with an integrated course. Maybe so for one or two airlines, but things change over night in aviation, recruiters bend rules, and you've got to look at the big picture, not just one or two dream employers.

My best wishes to you.

nzmarty
23rd Aug 2004, 06:36
well at 36 i've recently left a middle management, exciting position, earning $65k plus health and pension benefits, to return primarily to engineering, but with the goal of getting CPL and further, to enjoy a 3rd career of flying. i looked at the school thing, but couldn't see how spending $65k in 2 years as a student would be of any more benefit than spending $65k in 2 years, doing it on my own, and coming out with a few more hours twin, choosing the planes i want to fly, the cross countries i want to do, the training establishment (and instructors) that i want. i know guys who have done the massey course, the bayflight course etc. nice guys, but how is a 20 year old, with a $65k debt, with no trade to fall back on so earns $10 an hour, going to afford to build hours? i applied to ctc, even wrote to virgin, trying to get in, but too old i am.
anyway, started flying in april, nearly got my ppl now (still have to work 50hrs a week), and are looking forward to monstering the rest of my cpl hrs - got some cheap block hours organised, and a friendly instructor on an hourly rate.
having seen the 'diploma' course, i am glad that i chose to pay up front, and do it my way. do the sums, look outside the square, and stay focussed on the end goal.