PDA

View Full Version : Bomb scare at MAN T2

Prince Buster
19th Aug 2004, 14:03
Anyone got more news on the possible bomb scare yesterday evening at terminal 2? Us pilots are always kept out of the loop :ooh:

/PB

Scottie Dog
19th Aug 2004, 14:15
From the airport website:

Terminal 2 Evacuation

A Manchester Airport spokesperson said:

“At approximately 4.35pm today, Terminal 2 at Manchester Airport was evacuated following the discovery of a suspicious package. Greater Manchester Police attended the Airport and dealt with the incident. Terminal 2 reopened at 6.50pm.

“During the evacuation, flights that were due to arrive at Terminal 2 were diverted to aircraft stands in Terminal 1 and the passengers processed as normal. Flights that were due to depart from Terminal 2 between 4.35pm and 6.50pm were delayed whilst passengers remained outside Terminal 2.

“Manchester Airport would like to thank passengers and staff for their patience during the incident.”

ENDS

Scottie Dog

eal401
19th Aug 2004, 14:51
Some numb nuts left their bag somewhere. That's my take at least. ;)

busz
19th Aug 2004, 16:52
Apparently something to do with a suspect bag from the Air Jamaica flight. Thats all i know.

Al

Codman
19th Aug 2004, 17:21
It was a rush bag (already screened ex AMS) aboard a KLM flight.
Apparently there were worries over the fact that the bags contents weren't readily identifiable.

What bothers me is why security personnel at MAN found the bag to be of such concern after their colleagues at AMS had cleared it. As far as I'm aware all rush bags MUST be x-rayed prior to loading.

Are all rush bags now screened at both ends of their journey? If it makes a good degree of sense whilst there people with violent or criminal intent about. Nevertheless it caused complete chaos by all accounts.

hasta lueGO
19th Aug 2004, 17:33
indeed Codman. After Lockerbie and the introduction of AAA (Tripple A) all Rush Bags have to be screened and accepted by the Captain on the load sheet.

The final update from BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/3577834.stm

MAN777
19th Aug 2004, 23:09
quote pasted from previous link to BBC news

"Terminal Two handles long-haul international charter flights and some services offered by low-cost carriers".

Hardly an accurate description of terminals 2s role in life, what about all the scheduled airlines !!

Airport PR dept, I think you need to do a bit of educating !

toon
20th Aug 2004, 19:59
just out of interest i have often wondered about the logic that requires me to have to sign for a rush bag, how the hell do i know wether it's been properly screened ? standard everyone signs for everything dribble.

Danny_R
20th Aug 2004, 20:55
"Terminal Two is the smaller of the airport's two terminals"

Someone from the PR dept definitely needs to update the press!