PDA

View Full Version : Mobile 'phone for use in France

Fujiflyer
19th Aug 2004, 13:19
I have a Motorola v66e moby which used to be used on the Orange network however has since been "upgraded" for a more recent one. My question is: as a frequent visitor to France can I buy a suitable SIM card which would give a "pay as you go" service as if the phone was normally resident in fr? (ie so you pay the local rates for internal calls rather than highly expensive international rates for all calls, as is the case at present when using a UK registered 'phone abroad). My understanding is that there may be two issues: 1. Obtaining a suitable SIM card; and 2. Unlocking the handset (assuming it was originally locked to the service provider who issued it - in this case Orange).

Thanks,

FujiF

Capt Chambo
20th Aug 2004, 09:01
You can certainly buy a French SIM card in France, I am also a frequent visitor to France and carry an SFR SIM card, which is pay as you go. Just be aware that they have a limited life, a "use it or lose it" unlike my UK SIM card which retains the credit.
You will probably be asked to provide ID and an address to register the card.

Orange are notorious for locking their handsets, but I believe that an internet search will assist you in unlocking the 'phone and making it available for you to use with other networks.

You might also be interested to know that you can buy new backs for most 'phones that will allow you to carry both SIM cards in the one handset, and you select which one you want to use when. (You can't use both at the same time in the one handset). This cuts down on the number of mobiles that you need to carry around. Again a quick internet search for "dual SIM covers" will point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Fujiflyer
20th Aug 2004, 15:09
Capt Chambo, most useful, thankyou very much. :ok:

Best Regards

Rich