PDA

View Full Version : Citation type ratings

pilotbear
19th Aug 2004, 08:28
Perhaps some one can clarify the Citation type ratings for me as I am intending to do one, self financed to help with the career progression.
The company I work for has access to a CJ1 and it has been suggested I type rate on that, (still paying for it myself). :(
I would prefer to do a Citation 2 as there are a lot more about...but that excludes the CJ1 can anyone help me here? what rating covers what?
Or maybe you have any other suggestions......also any one know of any companies that would be interested in an FO with a type rating but min hrs on type?
(1800Total: 500 ME: 300IFR: CRI/IRI, curently flying single pilot IFR):ok:

727 exec
19th Aug 2004, 10:42
I may be wrong, but...

I think that the Citation 500/550/560 is all one type rating (includes the Bravo, Ultra, Encore).

The CJ and CJ1 is another type rating.

Not sure about the CJ2??

Also, if you haven't flown EFIS before, you'd have to do a course on that too.

Some of the above can be flown single-crew, but you'd need a single pilot check on them.

FLEXJET
19th Aug 2004, 17:13
Yes, CitationJet, CJ1, CJ2 and even CJ3 are common type ratings.

You have common TR for Citation III, VI and VII as well.

C560XL, C680 and C750 are different ones I believe.

pilotbear
23rd Aug 2004, 09:59
So, what rating would you recommend..I know this is an open question really..but I want to do one

Kopeloi
23rd Aug 2004, 10:48
The best rating is the one you will have a job. I am against spending such amounts without any firm job offer. Why dont you use it as bargaining tool in interview if nothing makes a new employer to pay the required rating. Then agree to do it on your account but only after the written contract is signed... Type may well be something else than Citation.
Nikolai

CJ Driver
23rd Aug 2004, 14:43
There are probably more "classic" 500 series Citations out there in the world, since Cessna have been making them for 30 years. On the other hand, for the last 5+ years, shipments of 525 series Citations have far exceeded 500's, and with the new CJ3 that will further erode the 500 line. The 525 is therefore definitely the product of the future.

But, as Kopeloi says, fleet statistics are not particularly important if you've got a job on offer, because that would be in a particular aircraft. And, as has also been said before, if you DON'T have a job on offer, then speculatively doing a type rating is very high risk.

Miles Magister
24th Aug 2004, 21:07
Of course doing a type rating is high risk, however the market is picking up and there will jobs around next year. Look in the business aviation press and look to see where the orders are being placed. Currently they are Citation Excel, Falcon and Gulfstream. There are jobs around for people with Excel on the license as operators still do not want to pay the expense. Operators of bigger jets are more discerning and are less likely to employ just because you have a rating. If you want to break in then I think an Excel rating is th ebest bet.

Good luck

pilotbear
26th Aug 2004, 06:08
thank you for all your comments, any more are welcome:ok:

silverhawk
26th Aug 2004, 13:34
pilotbear

this goes against the grain, but give Netjets a call.

You wouldn't have to pay for a rating, you'd just be bonded.

Goodluck

pilotbear
29th Aug 2004, 10:05
thanks silverhawk, have sent you a PM
:ok: