PDA

View Full Version : MMM... the worlds most expensive belt??

jayteeto
18th Aug 2004, 14:49
Has anyone got a picture to post of this 5 million pound belt that they are fitting to No1 uniforms? They could have had the one from my old number one uniform for nothing ;)

norvenmunky
18th Aug 2004, 15:54
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004381698,00.html

there you go

ZH875
18th Aug 2004, 15:59
It is just a pity that this news scoop is some 3 years out of date. the new Blue has been on the streets quite some time.

If the so called expert actually looked at the uniform, he would see that it is made of decent material and is not just a belt change.

That apart, I doubt if I will ever take mine out of the free dust cover and wear it or the free braces.

Scud-U-Like
18th Aug 2004, 16:52
Quite. Hardly ranks as breaking news, does it? Doubtless the result of another slack "silly season" day at the Sun (not that that particular rag needs an excuse to print utter b@11ock$).

Cuts notwithstanding, there has been a good deal consternation within the Service, about the new No1 uniform. The overwhelming consensus (except from a few Airships) is that it is a complete extravagance. I seem to recall the lame justification for this change was: "We had to introduce a No1 uniform with trousers for women, so, we decided to change the men's No1, while we were at it".

That said, I don't think we need any lectures from the Sun's defence pundit, Major General Ken Perkins. As a retired Army officer, he will know better than most about the money wasted on maintaining the myriad of different Army uniforms.

polyglory
18th Aug 2004, 17:05
Well they have done a complete 360 since I joined ok at least the Hairy Mary's have gone, why bother is the question.

Never liked the belt in its original form anyway, perhaps we should wear Skyblue fig leaves, and two Eagles perched on our shoulders.:*

Maple 01
18th Aug 2004, 19:32
Glad to see the back of the 'polyester specials' and nice to see the better material of the new stuff - even Maple looks a little smarter on AOCs! Boosted my morale a bit and I'm a hardened cynic. Then again perhaps we're not supposed to feel pride in the service any more and we should get rid of blues all together, after all, they keep telling me the future's purple:{

£5,000,000, nice scare figure - cost of No1 Uniform when I was going through Swinderby £100, new stuff? £125. Adjusted for inflation it's a saving!

Typical cr@p Sun story, begrudge us £125 for a suit! I know their hacks all shop at Primart, doesn’t mean everyone has to.

-Nick

Trumpet_trousers
18th Aug 2004, 19:50
In the picture in Norvenmunky's reply the good 'ol 'currant bun' can't even fasten the belt properly.....;)

Maple 01
18th Aug 2004, 20:34
And now the BBC's on the case!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3576254.stm

No-more accurate either – are they reduced to pinching inaccurate stories from the gutter press?

-nick

adr
18th Aug 2004, 20:48
No-more accurate either – are they reduced to pinching inaccurate stories from the gutter press? This might be a bit harsh on the Beeb. They added some information, absent from the Sun story (the roll-out began in 2001). They did acknowledge the source of the Sun quote, too, so it's not strictly nicked. ;)

Why now? I wonder if some corporate communications muppet issued a press release boasting that the issue of new uniforms has just been completed.

adr

Wee Jock
19th Aug 2004, 09:50
If I could work out how to do it, I'd post a picture of my LAC Dad doing his National Service in 1950, wearing his No. 1 with a very fetching belt. There's nothing new under the Sun.....

Molesworth Hold
19th Aug 2004, 20:45
I had a moan to the BBC about the misleading headline, lazy journalism and silly season stories. I received a nice reply and they have acknowledged that it could be misleading and have amended the story so if you click on the BBC link you will now see the amended version. I suppose I shall have to pay my licence fee now.

Scud-U-Like
19th Aug 2004, 22:08
The MOD's justification for the new No1, quoted on the BBC website, is even more intriguing:

"The aim was to iron out the difference between the non-commissioned officers' and officers' uniforms. The textile quality is better and the uniforms are tailored to each individual officer. We believe we have got good value for money."

Presumably this sets a precedent to "iron out" a lot of other differences between non-commissioned and commissioned officers. Up the revolution!

PS Please can I have some gold braid on my hat and some Idi Amin-style epaulettes?