PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ or Cathay???

David Daskal
17th Aug 2004, 21:58
Just wondering what everyone thinks are the pro's and con's to working for either of Air New Zealand or Cathay Pacific. (not that I'm fussy... I'd love either!!!)
Can anyone tell me the starting pay for both companies?? (in NZ dollars) How much leave per year?? Staff travel?? Just anything really???

I'm guessing that you'd make more money at Cathay, movement up the ranks would be a lot quicker, and they have lower minimum's than Air New Zealand...
But with Air New Zealand you get to live in good old NZ...
I've always wanted to work for Cathay but over recent times I must admit that Air New Zealand look in very good shape.

flyingkiwi
18th Aug 2004, 00:54
Pay

Air NZ starting $60K + allowances = upto $120,000 total take home, dont forget to pay Helen 40% of the top half.

CX, at current exchange rate starting is about $85K allowances including housing very quickly take this upto $150000, with only 15% tax. Also after year two the pay jumps up to obout $200000

Progression,

Air NZ, widebody SO to FO going at 9 years.

CX, (widebody....they are all widebodies) SO to commnd going at about 9 years

As far as lifestyle, CX do have a base in AKL but its about 4-5 years to get it from joining.

The Messiah
18th Aug 2004, 00:55
I guess the real downside to working for Air NZ would be that makes you a Kiwi.

Other than that its sux of one and half a dizen of the other.

BCF Breath
18th Aug 2004, 02:12
Current starting pay for Koru is 64K + allow for either a B737 F/O or S/O on the 767 or 747.
And you get to live in NZ.
After 12 mths base goes to 72k + allow.
And you get to speak english.
The S/Os on the 747 reckon it's about 100k.
Akl looks like HK at times.
Current progression, depending on which rumour you listen too, could have you changing seats twice in 6 years.
It's not as hot as HK.

But if you're single.....take HK!!

;)

incidentreport
18th Aug 2004, 03:15
BCF Breath...
changing seats twice in 6 years
Do you mean across fleets or to command??
Personally I wouldn't care if I went to Cathay or Air New Zealand... I'd take what I could get!!!
Is one considered easier to get into than the other??
How many Cathay guys live in Auckland??? And do the Auckland based guys have to pay Hong Kong or New Zealand tax??

Thump & Go
18th Aug 2004, 03:40
After 12 months (AirNZ) your base goes to $72k assuming you hold an ATPL, otherwise it's incremental. You'd otherwise reach $72 at year 4.
$100k sounds about right, fortunately $30k odd is tax free allowances otherwise you'd being paying Herr Helen to work for the company!:(
Scuttle-butt suggests the current crop of S/O's will get a window after 3 years.

BCF Breath
18th Aug 2004, 04:34
Er, not to a command.

Although it really depends on who wants a 737 Command with all the new toys arriving.

David Daskal
18th Aug 2004, 19:49
What about the routes??
Do people at Air New Zealand prefer to start on the 747's or 767's?? I understand that the 767's have a better route structure?? Do you even get to choose anyway??
And the requirements?? I hear Air New Zealand currently around 4000TT... any turbine requirement?? or any others?? Do you need your ATPL subjects??
And Cathay... around 3000TT?? I understand you need your subjects here.

schweinhund
18th Aug 2004, 19:52
Helen? He needs a haircut, that bloke.

With those pay rates I can see why there are so many bloody kiwis working for the red rat.

CT7
19th Aug 2004, 04:01
DD, questions and more questions.

Check out : http://www.airnz.co.nz/aboutus/careers/pilots.htm
for a basic run down.

Pilots start on what they want basically.
Some want the senority number and take the first slot.
Some live outa AKL and prefer to commute so wait for a long haul job.
Depends on what ya want.

If you read earlier, if you HAVE your ATPL subjects after 12 months you go to year 4 pay. If not, well...

So stop holding up the aero club bar (not that I'm against that!) and get yer subjects.

Thump & Go
19th Aug 2004, 05:06
Er, just to clarify that would be 3 years to the first window seat - normally the right-hand one.

incidentreport
19th Aug 2004, 17:59
How strict are Air NZ on having those schooling results published on their website?? If you have all ATPL's is that sufficient?? (Like Qantas I think) Or do I have to go back to school?? :O
I guess it all comes down to supply and demand aye... Eagle are pretty hot on you bringing your school results to the interview and grilling you over these... just wondering what big brothers like.

grrowler
19th Aug 2004, 23:01
Are Air Transport Ops just any operation that requires an ATPL, or aircraft above a certain weight? ie Does metro time count?

wessex19
20th Aug 2004, 04:00
Helen Clark - When you sit and stare at the face of Helen Clark, does it make you feel that anything is possible - just like ET? Or does it make you realise that God really does have a sense of humour? Can they be the eyes of a person who has devoted her life to taxing cows for passing wind? Is that a soulful smile of someone who just wants to be loved, or is it the wicked grin of a person that is committed to going down in New Zealand history as the person who gave New Zealand and the tri-nations away?

schweinhund
20th Aug 2004, 05:24
There is something seriously wrong with a person who stares at a picture of Big Helen.

rimfireairburst
20th Aug 2004, 11:44
if you squink hard...he's a bit of a fox!

Cloud Cutter
20th Aug 2004, 20:17
grrowler

ATOs are any operations under part 135, 125 or 121 (ie. including scenics in a C172 or RPT in a jet). I'm sure Air NZ would be more interested in the latter however.

grrowler
20th Aug 2004, 21:05
CC,

thanks for that.:ok: