PDA

View Full Version : Sally's pendulous ones?

bowly
17th Aug 2004, 20:29
Anyone know who 'Sally' was or why the hills are called such?

pshakey
17th Aug 2004, 20:47
Ah yes, many a time I have 'popped in between them', and wondered from where they took their name. In fact they are mightily unimpressive. No great compliment to Sally, whoever she is.

Tarnished
17th Aug 2004, 20:58
I know an ex-Tornado mate who's wife shares the same name and could (so it is rumoured) be easily be mistaken for the geographical attraction in the Malverns, but if I say any more it will lead to a falling out if he reads these pages.

Dan Winterland
17th Aug 2004, 22:57
Top marks to London Mil who asked one of my Qatari students while we in the Lichfield corridor what our intentions were after reaching Cosford. He replied,

"Enteing low level at Sally's t!ts".

They knew exactly where he meant!

retread7
18th Aug 2004, 02:09
They definitely pre-date an early-90s female aspiring FJ pilot of the same name - it was very un-PC to call them Sally's tits for a while. Good to see traditions last longer than political correctness...

R7

Yarpy
18th Aug 2004, 05:52
Good to see traditions last longer than political correctness...

Oh I wish. I am completely fed up with political double speak and lack of tradition in my dear old Blighty.

Can't wait to get rid of the Bliars.

Early morning rant over.

Impiger
18th Aug 2004, 20:38
I can recall them being called that as long ago as 1982 when we used to do overalnd PIs along the Welsh borders from Wattisham. I think the name came from a Wilbur Smith book where a pair of similar shaped hills behind the African farmhouse in his story went by that name and it just kind of stuck.

Now what about Dogs Bo!!*cks woods near Spadeadam are they as well known to London Mil?

18greens
19th Aug 2004, 09:01
Where are they? I want to see them.

teeteringhead
19th Aug 2004, 13:24
Why all the fuss? The Paps of Jura have been so named since Pontius was at IOT, and (IMHO) look more like the real thing than Sally's.

Anyone clever enough to post piccies of either or both?

Spugford
19th Aug 2004, 13:47
There's an equally well-shaped hill on the northern side of the LLeyn Peninsula (Welsh people - is 'LLeyn' actually Welsh for peninsula?), which is perfect in form - I'd say a solid D cup - to the the degree that the cairn on top looks exactly like an increasingly pert aureolus!

Takers?!

Got to be worth a look, I heard they don't get enough low level traffic around there!

Big Cat Handler
19th Aug 2004, 21:42
Wife of UBAS CFI late 90's was called Sally - very embarassing for poor fresher as he briefed Sqn on local landmarks!

Dog's Bol-X are surely (at least to the RW fleet) a pair of lakes on the western edge of Shawbury's MATZ! Doubt London Mil know about much that happens at 50' agl...

Ops and Mops
19th Aug 2004, 23:41
As requested, the Paps of Jura! :D

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/1015/papss.jpg

http://www.wylliedraughts.com/jura/jura.jpg

Now just to find a lass of the same name to compare them with! :E

Cat5 in the Hat
20th Aug 2004, 08:00
So where are these features??

teeteringhead
20th Aug 2004, 08:06
Cat5

Errr, try "Jura, Isle of" for Paps thereof, and south Shropshire-ish for Sally's funbags.

And fantastic picture Ops and Mops , many thanks.

Cat5 in the Hat
20th Aug 2004, 10:46
Excellant.

The Jura that sprang to mind was that part of France/Switzerland named so.

Nicely ta.

steamchicken
20th Aug 2004, 12:01
I think it's Microsoft headquarters that has a landscaping feature in the grounds known as the "Dolly Parton Hills"

6foottanker
20th Aug 2004, 23:11
Just referring to the original posting, Sally's Tits refer to the Clee Hills, situated to the north east of Ludlow, Shropshire. On of the 'nipples' is actually a radar head for London ATC, except i think they're either taking it down, or replacing it at the mo. Ex UBAS studes will fondly (ooh er) remember them, if they had any SA whilst on low level trips! I recall flying round the wrong tit on one sortie. Oh, and the hills climb a lot quicker than the mighty 'Dog did!!!!!

I too remember Sally of UBAS QFI-wife fame, 2000/2001. Hubby's the ex? Tutor display dude, top bloke, taught me everything i kno........:\ :\ Gone are the drinking club days!

Spugford
21st Aug 2004, 09:18
6FootTanker, check PMs

adr
21st Aug 2004, 09:39
Unless I'm mistaken,apart from the obvious topographical features ;) , the "tits" comes from Titterstone Clee Hill (map/photo) (http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=public&X=359370&Y=277631&width=500&height=310&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&pc=&zm=0&scale=50000&multimap.x=215&multimap.y=135).

And if they're tits, they'd have to be someone's tits. I wondered if "Sally" came from Salop (Shropshire)? Salop's tits -> Sally's tits?

adr

6foottanker
22nd Aug 2004, 12:32
So adr, what about the other 'tit', Brown Clee Hill??? Or are you assuming that just adds to the breast metaphor?:p

ZH875
22nd Aug 2004, 12:42
So adr, what about the other 'tit', Brown Clee Hill??? Or are you assuming that just adds to the breast metaphor?Must have beennamed as a monument to our wonderful Chancellor of the Exchequer - Mr Brown, a 'tit' in many peoples eyes.:hmm:

adr
22nd Aug 2004, 12:55
So adr, what about the other 'tit', Brown Clee Hill??? Or are you assuming that just adds to the breast metaphor?
Heh. Am I present at the birth of a new euphemism? "Hey, guys, check out the Brown Clees at ten o'clock." Not that anyone here would ever draw attention to a person's physical attributes, of course. Ahem. Is that the time? Must be going.

adr

airborne_artist
22nd Aug 2004, 13:20
Unless I'm mistaken,apart from the obvious topographical features , the "tits" comes from Titterstone Clee Hill (map/photo).

Note that Stocking Cottage is about 1200m NW of Titterstone Clee Hill............

BEagle
22nd Aug 2004, 15:00
But one wonders about the naming of a certain place near Woodbridge... At 332471 on my old 50 thou of the area was the splendidly named 'Gobblecock Hall' just south of the road across Sutton Common near World's End Plantation. Sadly it has disappeared from more recent versions of the map!

Big Cat Handler
23rd Aug 2004, 17:35
While we're on comedy place names, has anyone ever visited (intentionally or otherwise) the village of Muff? It's just inside the RoI north of Londonderry, and is on the coast, so it's entirely possible they have a diving club... ;)

6foottanker
23rd Aug 2004, 21:06
"Ere, look at 'er Brown Clees! " might also suggest one is regarding a young ladies knobbly leg joints. Or is that where 'they' are hanging down to....?!:E

lurkposition
23rd Aug 2004, 22:02
Ah it is all so crude.

I prefer to have meandered around the Bosoms on West Falkland.

Well, maybe not preferred to be on west Falkland now I think about it.......

lurkio

MiniEng
24th Aug 2004, 09:09
On the Shetland Isles Mainland, just off the A971 near Bixter there is a place (not enough people even to be called a Hamlet) by the name of Twatt. My wife took a photograph of me standing next to the road-sign. That was an error of judgement.

ZH875
24th Aug 2004, 17:06
Twatt was large enough to have a Royal Naval Air Station (HMS Tern) from 1941 to 1949.

sangiovese.
24th Aug 2004, 17:10
I remember 'K**t Electronics' which was on the road to Antioch (no sign of the holy handgrenade) from Incirlik:E

And I have the picture (this is turning into an FHM article!)

edited for cleanliness

TD&H
24th Aug 2004, 17:51
Seem to remember in the States two airfields to get in your logbook were 'French Lick' and 'Intercourse'. Don't know if they really exist, but sound good!

Duplo
24th Aug 2004, 19:03
Not that I would doubt it, but it would appear there is a novel entitled 'The Mystery of Gobblecock'.... a Thriller apparently...!

Dupe's

Golf Charlie Charlie
24th Aug 2004, 21:47
I can certainly confirm there is a small town called Intercourse, in Pennsylvania.

Ex Douglas Driver
24th Aug 2004, 22:33
I hate to do this, but just north of Intercourse, Pennsylvania there appears to be a "Muddy Run".

Here endeth the smut........:hmm:

Map Link (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ovi=1&zoom=6&mapdata=b%2frmlwLQFLLJDYyoVThC50P3m%2fGEXHFcTPmWLuhq3VtGESDe dGwQzdcIRH%2fxBh3bi5dAqAzbiBL1nC5Eo3FrwD0sCBqle2G1FBNEnKabTZ BZPuwpXsqye1p9I2fnmEFzfaav2QpgcneiW%2bvCSw%2fY3RkcoR3MbKg51s OmCKCoZD0VeEKxVWMcEG6LEn%2bT53WuGRR0Lde%2f8rfXYBEokeNGSa4vF2 %2bqAnQvdLPcKpZnYRHS1Kecca2KAPTlwNyb3eXOEPYFYpDc%2fiCSJEsS6G R9qqVdBy0vYRCrRnAegi18Tn%2b4isiAF19jpZGkhtySUa1D43x4laZLgCpY RrsguCJIEqMMVsfRYiyj)

Archimedes
24th Aug 2004, 23:34
French Lick is in Indiana.

Short info link (http://www.ohwy.com/in/f/frh.htm) and one with even more fascinating (:confused: ) facts here (http://www.city-data.com/city/French-Lick-Indiana.html).

lurkposition
25th Aug 2004, 19:29
Well, if we are in to airfield names then I have made quite a few approaches to those two, fairly close, airstrips in the Middle East. Namely Firq and Saik.

Their names do them justice.

Thud_and_Blunder
26th Aug 2004, 06:10
Before the Jebel Akhdar road was built, the only way to get the alfalfa needed as fodder by the beasts of burden at the top of the mountain was to fly it in robust fixed-wing a/c. Departure a/f was Firq, arrival a/f was Saiq; do the run 4 times and there was a "4 Firq Saiq" tie available to the lucky pilot.

la calda
26th Aug 2004, 12:07
On the subject of Scottish hills, the Paps of Jura are mentioned above but we have Pap singular in the hill the Pap of Glencoe. Viewed from the north (usually from outside the Glencoe Hotel with pint in hand on a summers eve) it has a wonderfully pleasing form

Titan Locked
26th Aug 2004, 17:47
Not forgetting the airfield of MUFRASH which I'm sure all the chaps who have spent time in and around Basrah are more than familiar with ....

TL

Spur Lash
26th Aug 2004, 18:53
In the early Eighties there was a NDB (?) called Sob Story which I think was in Iceland. It was listed in the Red ERS.

BEagle
26th Aug 2004, 19:34
Und in Bavaria, between the towns of Nesselwang and Kappel on the B309 lies the village of.......Wank!

Pontius Navigator
26th Aug 2004, 21:22
I was too old to know Sally's tits, but just to piss you all off we had Pulau Bidan (I think the spelling is correct).

It was off Butterworth and means pregnant woman. It had tits as well.

Sloppy Link
28th Aug 2004, 17:55
Maintaining the thread of the finest of female attributes,

1. Bosnia dudes would remember "Dolly Parton" on the way to Coralici from GV

2. Falklands dudes would remember Nipple Hill on the Western Islands.

3. Yakima training area, Washington State has to north of the HLS a feature named "Squaw Tit"!

PileUp Officer
22nd Jan 2005, 19:06
I particularly liked the village of 'Wetwang' in Yorkshire.

A mate of mine was telling me of Nipple Hill and Shag Island in the FI, apparently "Circling the nipple, heading for shag" was a common Air Traffic call. (Apologies if this totally wrong)

airborne_artist
22nd Jan 2005, 19:35
I'm not the Jag mate referred to earlier, but I too married a Sally, some 20 years ago, and they are still a navigational feature, even in IMC.....

moggiee
22nd Jan 2005, 22:45
BEagle - unfortunately, the German word "Wank" is just the past tense of the word "wave" (if my memory serves correctly).

Ich Wink - I wave
Ich Wank - I waved (but very quickly and for quite some time!!!)

Still, like Arsbeck near Wildenrath, the Germans do have the decency to provide us with a good many comedy names!

There are a couple of German actors called Herman Fuchs and Barbara Rutting.

Compass Call
22nd Jan 2005, 23:09
When driving round Masirah, we would stop for refreshments (coldies) at 'Jennifer's Tits'. Also the Strikies used to fly between them. They were named after the wife of a CO of RAFO Masirah.

CC

Stitchbitch
23rd Jan 2005, 05:12
I belive that kokum and wankum were near 'Laarparts'...IIRC
:ok: