PDA

View Full Version : about:search

Capt. Manuvar
17th Aug 2004, 18:26
I know that there's a sticky thread about elimnating spyware, but so far i've had no luck. I normally use netscape but i have to use IE for my groundschool work, and have just discovered that I have this about:search thingy. I use spybot S&D but it hasn't helped. I don't want to use the trial and error method as I want to limit the number of programs on my 'puter, so does anyone knowof a single program that i can use to get rid of this about:search home page hijacker.
Thanks Capt. M
(Moderators, I will delete this once I get a solution, unless anyone else find it useful)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Aug 2004, 20:30
Capt. Manuvar,

All threads in here are useful. Lets see if we cannot solve this problem for you.

Download Hijack This! (http://www.thespykiller.co.uk) and post the log file here. Do NOT make any repairs. (Hijack This! pulls up everything, including programs that are supposed to be in your computer.)

Take Care,

Richard

E-Liam
18th Aug 2004, 07:31
Hi Capt,

As Richard says, we'll need the HJT log. :ok: This is a variant of CoolWebSearch that you have, and depending on which one, will depend on the difficulty of removal.

Sadly, I have to go to a funeral today, so I won't be around until later on this evening, but I'll check it when I get back.

Could you also let me know (this only applies if using XP) whether you have Home or Pro, and whether you are using NTFS or FAT32.

Cheers

Liam

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Aug 2004, 21:12
Liam,

Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

Richard