PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical knowledge instruction.

tinsparrow
17th Aug 2004, 12:11
Hello all,

Just read that a modular course for JAR CPL consists of a minumum 25 hours flight training, which are undertook after 150 hours of hours building. AND 200 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction for CPL(A).

Can anyone clarify for me what 200 hours of theoretical knowledge actually is??? is it ground school, training flights or is it recommended that you study at least that much prior to taking the CPL theroy exams? the reason I am getting confused is in one secton of Lasors it states the above and in another as a prerequisite to the issue of a licence it asks for 200 hours flight time. Are these the same thing or different.

If its obvious then sorry to be a numpty.

answers as always are greatly appreciated

TS

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Aug 2004, 12:20
Would make the assumption they are referring to the theorectical knowledge required i.e. your CPL or ATPL exams being passed. The CAA lay down specifics in terms of how much classroom instruction is required for CPL and ATPL courses, however, I am not sure what they are now. For the ATPL's I seem to recall it being in the 600 - 700 ball park for a full time course.

The 200 hour flight time requirement is for licence issue. From memory you need 150TT including 100 PIC and CPL or ATPL exams passed to attempt the CPL skill test. Once you have passed the skill test you have to satisfy the 200 hours requirement in your logbook including the above, then you can get your CPL issued by the CAA. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

tinsparrow
17th Aug 2004, 12:26
The quote from Lasors states: (on modular courses)

'The course consists of a miniumum 25 hours flying training and 200 hours theoretical knowledge instruction for CPL(A).'

LASORS section D page 3.

I have read the section regarding 200hrs TT etc, and understand that following your comment. However what system do they use to ensure you have completed 200 hours in the classroom (so to speak). is the 200 hours a pre requisite to licence issue? or course participation? or is it just what you would get if you signed up for a cpl course along with 25 hours tuition?

In summary all that I am asking is, what constitutes 'Theoretical Knowledge instruction'???????

TA once again

TS:rolleyes:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Aug 2004, 17:12
tinsparrow,

In order to complete the theorectical side of the training you have to attend a school approved by the CAA. Now, when I did my ATPL's, us as students had to swipe in and swipe out of class everyday. This was all recorded on computer. By the end of each module the CGI knew how many classes you as the student had attended, therefore how many hours training you had received.

When it came to sitting the exams, you had to make an application to the CAA in order to sit them. This was all done through the school, where the CGI had to sign your application as evidence that you had met the hour requirements laid down in the regulations.

So with the above in mind, once you have passed all your exams and passed the practical skill tests, along with the hour requirements you will be eligible to apply for your commercial licence.

Also, just so it is clear, if you are on a modular course, the CPL course advertised will be for the 25 hours flying training only, the school will require you to have completed the ground school as a pre-requisite i.e. the 200 you mention.

In summary all that I am asking is, what constitutes 'Theoretical Knowledge instruction'???????

The ground school before you start to flying :D.

Hope I havent confused matters.

willby
17th Aug 2004, 17:34
Hi Tinsparrow,
You can't take the flight skills test for CPL issue until you pass either the CPL or ATPL theory exams and you cant sit these exams until you satisfy CAA etc that you have completed the required hours of study either in a classroom or by distance learning.
For either full time study or distance learning you have to enroll with an approved training establishment and they will verify that you have completed the necessary hours when you fill out your exam application forms. Regards
Willby
PS Just noticed after I posted that Cat. had already answered your query!

tinsparrow
18th Aug 2004, 10:42
Thats cleared things right up!!!!

Thanks for your help chaps.

TS:D

CAT3C AUTOLAND
18th Aug 2004, 12:18
No problem, can be a bit of of mine field!

willby
18th Aug 2004, 14:43
Best of luck with the studies!
Willby

Vee One...Rotate
20th Aug 2004, 20:35
A quicky: how do the CPL exams differ from the ATPL exams? I assume the ATPL exams are an extension of the CPL ones i.e. if all of the ATPL exams have been passed, then no CPL exams need passing? Make sense? Probably not! Just a little confused as to the difference in theory work between the two. I am aware the ATPL is a licence, though the ATPLs are simply the theoretical side of this licence - the whole package being a CPL/IR + passes in ATPLs = fATPL.

V1R

FlyingForFun
20th Aug 2004, 22:11
V1R,

The ATPL exam syllabus is basically a combination of the CPL exams and the IR exams.

As such, you can do the CPL course with either the CPL or the ATPL exams. And you can do the IR with either the IR or the ATPL exams. But if you want to upgrade your CPL/IR to an ATPL, you must have done the ATPL exams.

Very few people do the CPL exams. The reason is that most commercial pilots go on to do an IR. Doing the CPL exams and the IR exams separately is more work than just doing the ATPL exams, because there is some overlap between the two so you will have to do some exams twice. What's more, if you then go on to get an ATPL, you will have to do the whole lot again to get the ATPL exam credits - so each exam would be done either two or three times. For this reason, the only people who do the CPL exams are those who have no interest in getting their IR - mainly (but not exclusively) those who have retired from their day-job and are taking up instructing as a part-time job in their retirement. Because of the small demand for these exams, there are also not many places that offer the training for them (3 at the last count I think, but it may have changed since then).

Hope that answers it!

FFF
---------------

Vee One...Rotate
20th Aug 2004, 22:17
Cheers FFF :ok:

SFI145
21st Aug 2004, 12:36
An important point to consider here is that it is true that you can get a CPL and an IR by passing the individual theory exams.
However in order to be an airline or corporate co-pilot on a multi-pilot type you must have passed the ATPL theory exams. If therefore your plan is to be an airline co-pilot you should take the ATPL exams in the first place.

Vee One...Rotate
21st Aug 2004, 19:22
I knew the ATPLs would be a pre-requisite, just wasn't sure how the CPL exams fit in with things - they were (as makes sense now) never really discussed by wannabes on these forums.

Thanks for clearing things up :ok:

V1R