PDA

View Full Version : Swiss MD-11

Peter16
17th Aug 2004, 11:38
Watched a Discovery Channel prog the other night re the 1998(?) Swiss Air MD-11 disaster off the coast of Nova Scotia - accident investigation result 4 years later determined cause as fire at rear of cockpit following wire arcing and that the maker's directive was to replace all flammable insulation materials.
Anyone know if all airlines have complied? I am a regular flyer on Thai MD-11's to Oz so would be comforting to know!

Teddy Robinson
18th Aug 2004, 08:31
Peter, my understanding is that the offending materials have been replaced per the airworthiness directive, or the system disabled pending the work being completed, so be reassured.

TR

Peter16
18th Aug 2004, 15:08
I was aware that the first class inflight entertainment system was initially identified as the culprit in that the flight deck crew were unable to cut off power to the system and thus arcing continued, setting fire to the insulation.
Even if one system was disconnected, if flammable material still exists, could this not be a danger still with other electrical systems?
Call me paranoid??

Dagger Dirk
19th Aug 2004, 13:01
Peter 16

Despite Teddy Robinson's 'My understanding is....." etc the ATA successfully lobbied to have the metallized mylar flammable thermal acoustic insulation remain in situ another 5 years. I'm not sure exactly what date that now expires at - but it certainly isn't "yet". Airlines are always keen understandably to have any major disruptions occur during an aircraft's heavy maintenance period.

The ATA has lobbied to have the regulation on SDR logging deferred five times to date (and as a result it is still many years off). You may also have noticed that the FAA was recently "spinning" the savings of over $200M that they were effecting by deferring for yet another five years a whole assortment of programs (including the inerting of fuel tanks, SFAR 88, wiring safety initiatives etc etc).

But I guess you gotta sympathize because:

a. The airlines are having their fiscal nightmares and the low-cost models are raping and pillaging the majors

b. The quest for cheaper and assured fuel by invading IRAQ has backfired somewhat so what isn't being burnt when the pipelines blow is selling at the highest price ever

c. Even though there's not been any Stateside terror incidents since Sept 11th 2001, security remains at ORANGE (because there otherwise could be) - so people would rather not travel by air - nd load factors are down on many routes.

Bottom line is that safety initiatives are way down the pecking order and security initiatives are right up there.

SDR = Special Difficulty Report (the things that fail and cause airplanes to return)

ATA = Air Transport Assn (an amlgamated body of all the Stateside airlines). They have the FAA's "ear" (and nose and throat)

Peter16
19th Aug 2004, 14:18
DD

Any idea whre Thai stands in all this?
Judging by their last quarter results just issued and the somewhat, well how shall I put it? older style aircraft interiors ( but very competitive fares I might add!) not exactly up there with the front runners of remedial action I would suggest.

cringe
19th Aug 2004, 16:20
On two Thai MD-11's the insulation blanket replacement was performed a year ago:

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/contractors/maintenance/vem/press2.html

The FAA's deadline is June 2005.

Peter16
21st Aug 2004, 06:15
That's a 50% comfort - wonder what the other two MD11's have had done since in Thai's fleet??