PDA

View Full Version : Work in Grand Cayman? Please help..

Finals19
17th Aug 2004, 03:45
Just a request to anyone who is working in or around GCM....

I am planning on heading down this way and was wondering what work possibilities there might be out of GCM (if any)? I am a dual citizen British/Canadian with Canadian CPL/MEIR but low timed at 270hrs....

Does anyone know if Brits or Canadians can legally work down there and if there is any (and I mean any!) kind of flying work (even ramp) available?....

Thanks for any info anyone has! (weblinks, contacts etc):ok:

flufdriver
18th Aug 2004, 20:24
Island Air is advertising for Navajo Pilots and I think Cayman Airways Express is looking for more crew on the Twotters.

I hear we, (Cayman Airways) are about to take 2 of their (Express) F/O's onto the 737.
Good luck

ODGUY
19th Aug 2004, 15:03
what kind of requirements are we looking at for the cayman? (props)

flufdriver
19th Aug 2004, 21:19
Well, I'm not certain about the requirements, I do know this, one needs 700 TT to obtain a Cayman CPL and pass the Cayman Air-law exam (straightforward)

I'm reasonably certain that like everyone else they will be looking at an individuals attitude as much as his/her experience level.

I suggest you get the straight scoop from the horses mouth.

perceval
21st Aug 2004, 20:14
as a matter of interest , what kind of flying is done aorund the caymans ? Is it just flights between GCM and the two others or Do you get to go a bit further afield ?
Also , what kind of operation is Island air ? Do they just have one aircraft or more ?
How is life in the caymans ?
expensive ?

flufdriver
22nd Aug 2004, 00:26
Perceval;

Express is running mostly between the three Islands, except for the occasional trip to Jamaica, Cuba or Honduras (Bay Islands or La Ceiba)

Island Air also goes between the Cayman Islands but also does charters throughout the region.

Life in Cayman is busy, most everyone is working some kind of deal, also expensive although that depends on one's spending habits as there are no direct taxes, (but lots of indirect ones)

air hog
25th Aug 2004, 09:54
Hi guys

Have recently sent an application off to Island Air. Anyone got an idea of what sort of person they are looking for?

I am British with some Chieftain time, have also applied to Cayman Air for the Twotter.

Any info would be great as my other half has got a possible job offer (IT) and we would love to make the move out to the sun!!

Cheers

flufdriver
29th Aug 2004, 02:34
Its difficult to say what makes them choose one person over another, but if the past is any indication, they will choose a relatively young, preferably un-attached individual who won't mind lending a hand and is eager to fly.

If you go to http://www.caymannetnews.com and check the Aug.26 full edition you can read about Island air and see a picture of the Boss's Son

Cheers

air hog
2nd Sep 2004, 17:54
Cheers fluffdriver

Well i'll sit and wait to see what happens. No further news on my other halfs job so will chase it up if she hears more.

Cheers

Ozgrade3
17th Sep 2004, 07:12
Any idea what licences are accepted, have an Oz CPL, 1500TT, 300 ME. Would I need to convert to a JAA or FAA licence.

Ozzy
17th Sep 2004, 12:14
Just realised when this thread was started. I was going to say that since Ivan destroyed much of the island the CI government is requesting non-Caymanians and non-essential personnel to stay away or leave GCM. Conditions are dire down there, see the thread on Hurricane Ivan.

Ozzy

Renaissance
26th Sep 2004, 08:00
Hi fluf.

First post here!! Out of curiosity What are the requirements at the airline? I have some buddies out there (Ex Miss Cayman:cool: ) I wouldn't mind parking my behind on their couch for a bit...