PDA

View Full Version : JAR-FCL PPL(A) vs UK NPPL

FiiS
16th Aug 2004, 21:25
Hey all, I'm new to posting here so sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I've asked this on another site and two users recommended I post it here.

In case I've got the abbrevaitions wrong, what I'm talking about is the full Private Pilot's Licence and the new National PPL for use in the UK only.

At the moment I'm crossing everything I have two of in the hope that I'll eventually get a Flying Scholarship of some sort, and / or join the UAS to eventually get my license. (at the moment both may well happen by Xmas) I've only got about four hours powered, so I'm basically starting from scratch (although I do have my BGA "A" cert, with 18 hrs in gliders so that should help a lot)

At the moment, it would seem I'm eligible to apply for scholarships until I'm about 25 (for GAPAN and Air League). Can anyone tell me what licence is worth going for, with or without financial support?? Tuition, exams and medical for the JAR PPL will cost about £5000 I think (anyone with a better figure, please say) but the NPPL will be a lot cheaper. But how much?? WHat are the restrictions for NPPL? If it is simply flying abroad, then to be able to fly in the first place would be great!! How can you progress from NPPL to full PPL.

I have tried to find the answers, honest! but I'd like to hear from people who are either working towards and licence, or hold one- which in your opinion is better? As I mentioned, it looks like I could get my NPPL perhaps as early as next year if I am good- so what about conversion courses? Any info would be a great help, thanks.

Fii

Blinkz
16th Aug 2004, 21:40
Slightly wrong forum as this one is for professional training, but one thing you might interested is that you can convert a GPL (basically a bronze with a cross country endorsement) to a NPPL in only a 10 hour syllabus. might be something to look at if you want to do it cheaply. Are you planning on going commercial? If so then just get the PPL and not NPPL.

FiiS
16th Aug 2004, 21:59
Working towards Bronze (well sort of) but I think I'll sooner get NPPL than Bronze because of several conflicting factors. However, I will bear it in mind. As for commercial, my primary aim is the fly in the RAF, hence the UAS leanings. However, it's more competitive than ever and if I have a PPL it'll be solid proof of my ability and might get me in ahead of someone who hasn't. Also... heck, I just want to fly!! :ok:

Obs cop
17th Aug 2004, 08:18
FiiS,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the RAF will not see a PPL as proof of ability. The comparison is that millions in this country can drive (and think they can drive well:} ) but only the chosen few get to drive a formula one car competatively, because only a few can drive it to the edge. A PPL is no indication that a pilot could fly a cutting edge military aircraft in combat.

However, don't let that put you off as a PPL does show ambition and dedication. It's quite easy to progress from NPPL to PPL as far as I know. I think all you need is to get your hours up to the 45 for PPL, have all the PPL exams, get a class 2 medical and then fly a PPL test.

If all you can afford is the NPPL then I would say go for it because the hours can be used towards PPL (or fATPL in the long term) and it gets you in the air. However, a more efficient way of going about it would be to get the PPL with a class 1 medical. I would suggest the medical first as that way you know you have a clean bill of health to get into commercial aviation and won't be disappointed further down the line.

To answer your original question, the restrictions placed on a NPPL over a PPL are:

Intially for simple single engined aircraft only.
Cannot add night, IMC,Instrument or multi engined ratings.
Daytime VFR only
UK flights only
max 3 passengers plus yourself.

Regards

Obs cop