PDA

View Full Version : BFS?

BFS/BHD
16th Aug 2004, 19:11
Was up at BFS last week and a saw new part of the terminal being built around stand 18 area.

Can anyone tell what it will be?

Cheers

BELHold
16th Aug 2004, 20:52
Earmarked for "Retail" space at the minute but a bit of a shame they removed all of those big windows.

Little or no natural sunlight in and around gate 18 now!

EGAC_Ramper
17th Aug 2004, 13:09
And meanwhile at BHD Ferrovial are setting up another retail outlet in the departure lounge,belived to be a perfume shop...:bored: With its position you can sit and watch the a/c while waiting to depart....for me anywho that's a loss!! lol:ok:

Regards

mysecretsmile
17th Aug 2004, 16:49
I understand that BFS will be carrying out some considerable
ongoing development of their terminal. On my most recent visit I was very impressed with the improvements with new offerings both land side and airside. All ready for the new direct US flights next year no doubt ?

One of BHD's major problems is that they seem to be lacking some serious sq footage. Does any one know if they have any further plans to extend the terminal or add any further retail opportunities (other than the new tax free perfume shop).

To say that their retail offering is currently piss poor is a major understatement. I was flying out of BHD last week and was heavily delayed due to fog, needless to say there wasn't room in the place to swing a cat.

EGAC_Ramper
17th Aug 2004, 17:06
One thing I'd say about BHD,is when the new terminal was built it was pretty nifty.Though with the increasing traffic using it I feel though the design itself sucks to be quite frank....as to me they haven't given themselves a bigger terminal in which any further expansion could have ocurred.Now they will need to do some major building to do this.

Though talk of re-opening the old terminal,building a hotel round the Sydenham by-pass area still continue to echo the airport.

Regards

NWSRG
17th Aug 2004, 20:53
EGAC,

Re-opening the old terminal? As in BHD T1 and T2?

International and Domestic perhaps?:p

Seriously though, is the old terminal a genuine option?

EGAC_Ramper
17th Aug 2004, 20:59
Well that has been the rumours,as Menzies World Cargo who are now based there along with the FlyBE engineers are all getting moved on to purpose built accommodation.As also mentioned the hotel is also possibly going to be built at the old terminal.From things I hear Ferrovial certainly have plans to improve the commercial aspects of the airport,as to whether they intend on attracting other carrier/routes who knows.

Cheers

ALLMCC
18th Aug 2004, 08:27
If BHD are considering building a hotel on the old ramp site, it would appear that they have lost the plot - with several established hotels within easy distance of the airport, this would really be a wasted effort.

It would seem Ferrovial are adopting the same attitude as Bombardier did when they controlled the facility - sit back and wait for airlines to approach them instead of aggressively pursuing new business - BFS have taken the latter approach and this seems to be paying off in terms of new routes etc.

BHD can't afford to sit back and rest on their laurels - unless some new airlines & routes come soon they really will have problems in maintaining their current level of growth.

mysecretsmile
18th Aug 2004, 11:25
ALLMCC - I won't so much think that it is a case of BHD management resting on their laurels and waiting for airlines to approach them.

But more a case of BHD not being that desirable to airlines, hence
their lack of committment to starting anything new.

BHD will always be limited to what it can do because of its runway length, operating hours restriction and passenger cap (although I believe this is being reviewed - but a decision is not likely to come quickly or necessarily be the one they require)

BFS has been able to convince airlines such as Jet2 to operate there as it suits their business model, with the 24/7 airport operating hrs they can use the aircraft for passengers in day time and freight at night.

BFS facilites may also entice the likes of Continental to start direct US flights next year.

The BFS commercial team are now in a position to generate extra revenue streams for their business via the retail concessions that they have worked hard to develop over the last 24 months.

This will help to regain the loss revenue that they have incurred from the reduced landing fees that the low cost airlines will have demanded.

Again a position that BHD aren't able to match, as currently, if they did have the capacity to entice another low cost operater to commence flights (say BMI Baby for instance) at reduced landing fees. They aren't yet in a position to maximise the revenue from each passenger via their restaurant and retails offerings as they are currently very limited. Something I would imagine they will quickly address and possibly the reason EGAC_Ramper has heard of talk of a hotel among other things.