PDA

View Full Version : Help with Norton Antivirus Please

mcdhu
16th Aug 2004, 17:21
Have been running Norton quite happily since upgrading to Winxp earlier this year. Noticed a few days ago that the Auto update wasn't working - I think it even told me that the virus definitions were not up to date.
Suddenly, today, nothing is working. The Status page has red 'Error' messages against everything. When I try to do something about it, I get amessage which reads (roughly) as follows:

Norton AntiVirus:30020: Library not registered.
:res://C:\\Progra-1\Norton-1\Navopts.dll\reports.htm:29

or something like that!

Had a poke around the Symantic website, but it told me that all was in order after running some checking program.

Running Win xp, AOL broadband, Dell dimension big machine, 3.06 chip. Done a Naples Air Centre Trend Micro check. No symptoms of a virus.

Any ideas please. Thank you.

Cheers,
mcdhu

Irish Steve
17th Aug 2004, 00:29
May be completely off beam, but check to make sure that no malware has got in, as some of them now can deactivate things like Norton so that they can do their worst. Spybot may be worth a download to make sure that there's nothing nasty going on.

Have you tried making NAV run live update manually?

I've seen situations where NAV gets well upset if the previous Liveupdate fails to run clean, and it can get messy sorting it out.

There's an option in Liveupdate for "more detailed error reporting", make sure that's on, and also check the options and set it to not use express mode for now, until it's sorted and clean.

That's a starter, best of luck with it.

Cheers

Steve

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Aug 2004, 04:53
mcdhu,

First try uninstalling Norton and installing it again. Let us know if you still get the same error message.

Take Care,

Richard

stickyb
17th Aug 2004, 07:54
Is there a possibilty that sp2 and the firewall has affected you?

mcdhu
17th Aug 2004, 16:32
Thanks for the inputs, guys.

Uninstalled NAv, ran Ad-aware and found 7 'Data Miners', ran AOL's own 'Spyware Protection' - nothing. Reinstalled NAv, live update, full scan in safe mode - all ok.

Strangely, during this snag, AOL Broadband checker would not run either. Uninstalled that too, but haven't bothered to install that yet since all appears ok. Only Richard's on line scan to go, but all seems well. A mystery!!

Interestingly, NAv has given me a year from now for free!! Every cloud has a silver lining!

Thank you Richard, Irish Steve and stickyb.

Cheers,
mcdhu

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Aug 2004, 17:07
mcdhu,

Always glad to help. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

mcdhu
18th Aug 2004, 14:25
Further help required, I'm afraid. All ok last night. Came home this pm (11 yr old had been on a few harmless sites) and noticed that the NAV Autoprotect function was off. Tried to switch it on as per instructions but met each time with the following window:

Norton AntiVirus Autoprotect Off

IE Script Error
Lin:29
Char:5
Error: Unspecified
Code:0
URL: res:\\C://PROGRA-1\Norton-1\NAVopts:dll/optionsbtm.htm

It will not be persuaded to switch on.

Was then persuaded by said 11yr old to change his password because his 8yr old bro has sneaked it, but on selecting User Accounts, a little window says:

''Wrong number of arguments or invalid property assignment''

Are these connected? Can anyone tell me what's going on inside this machine please. Other than that, it is functioning as normal and no recent changes of configuration.

Many thanks guys,
Cheers,
mcdhu (Administrator!)

PS The NAV disc I reinstalled from (2002) is now unsupported and I can't find any way on the Symantec website of reinstating the NAV program I uninstalled. Could this be any thing to do with it?

mutt
18th Aug 2004, 18:32
Done a Naples Air Centre Trend Micro check

also

Only Richard's on line scan to go

Can you explain what this is about?

Thanks.

Mutt.

mcdhu
18th Aug 2004, 19:07
Hi mutt,

This is a great trick advocated by Richard of Naples Air Centre whereby you go to trendmicro (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) from which you can carry out an online scan with the attendant advantage that any pest cannot disable it and it is pretty much up to date all the time. Try it. It might not load correctly first time, but usually does the second time.

Cheers,
mcdhu
PS Any clues for me?

maxell
18th Aug 2004, 19:48
if norton 2002 is now unsupported you could try a google for avast antivirus its a freebie for home users