PDA

View Full Version : How bad were LBA's July figures?

KAT TOO
16th Aug 2004, 13:22
Ok its now the 16th and LBA have yet to post any Pax figures for July, there normaly all over the yorkshire evening post and local rag with " Jet2 Summer boost to LBIA figures" or crap like " LBIA is offically the UK fastest growing airport"

POL1W
16th Aug 2004, 13:48
This is the piece from one of the local newspapers. Strange it has not been put up on the LBIA website.

The headline says it all!:ok

Airport passenger numbers take off

LEEDS Bradford Airport is celebrating serving a record number of customers
- just as plans for new passenger bus links have been unveiled.

A total of 243,343 passengers passed through the Leeds Bradford Airport airport during July, a 13 per cent jump over the figures for the same month in 2003.

Those figures also represent the highest number of passengers ever recorded by LBA in a single month.

For the past year and a half it has been one of the fastest growing airports in the UK and is on target to have dealt with more than 2.3 million passengers in 2004.

A delighted Managing Director, Ed Anderson, said: "`The record numbers
using Leeds Bradford are proof of the strength of demand for flights from this airport and the excellent service provided by our staff."

Yet again budget airline flights accounted for much of LBA's July business, with Yorkshire's low cost firm jet2.com carrying 89,959 passengers to 11 destinations.

In total, jet2.com along with fellow low cost operators Ryanair and flybe accounted for 48 per cent of the airport's traffic last month.

Two new services were also announced during July, with jet2.com set to start a daily link to Paris on September 1, in addition to the existing 17 flights per week operated to the French capital by BMI.

And on November 1 BMI will begin a new service to London City Airport with
21 flights per week.

bmifox
16th Aug 2004, 14:12
Perhaps the marketing department are too busy with OTHER things to put the July figures up!!!:D
Or maybe they just forgot!

Going loco
16th Aug 2004, 15:38
KAT TOO - just what is your objection to the place? If you're not griping about the wx, you're moaning about Jet2 or Ryanair or somesuch - usually in the same breath as telling us of the wonderous things that bmi have planned.

And now this - a thread moaning that the airport must have had a bad month in July because they haven't published any passenger numbers when in fact they have published details of the busiest month on record.

loco

LBAir
16th Aug 2004, 17:03
What are the new bus links you mentioned?

KAT TOO
16th Aug 2004, 17:11
The weather is often crap at Leeds and the approach aids leave a lot to be desired, given the weather histroy.

Jet2 have done a great job, however all the operators at Leeds are being let down by the bit now bit later approach to developement, that goes for the new mini hotel.

The runway is as ruff as a bears arse and watching pax getting soaked due to the lack of buses or covered walkways is a disgrace, apart from that i think its a great place!!!....to avoid

Oh yes i forgot that you have wait for the sun to come up for de-icing..still frost can catch anyone out.
Enough said

PS Don't think i every moaned about Ryanair, i have never travelled with them, i have with Jet2 and i think they do a good job, but no better or worse than baby or Easy, the only thing you notice is that no amount of leather can hide the age of the kit, but someone said on another thread that they are getting some newer, longer range kit next year, so Loco you may get to Greece yet, from Leeds:cool: :ok: :sad:

POL1W
16th Aug 2004, 21:36
The article went on to more paragraphs about bus services to LBA. which I cut out.
As this is an aviation forum I spared everyone the agony of reading quotes from Councillors about where new bus routes would operate from.
The article was in the Telegraph & Argus if you feel the need to read more.

682ft AMSL
17th Aug 2004, 16:18
KAT TOO - relative to the number of inbound ATMs, air transport diversions are actually quite low. Either the weather can't be as bad, as often, as you perceive, or the navaids must be better than you think.

average number of monthly diversions (1998 - 2003/4) (source: CAA)

Jan 9
Feb 10
Mar 7
Apr 3
May 2
Jun 3
Jul 1
Aug 3
Sep 7
Oct 5
Nov 10
Dec 21
Total 82

average number of inbound ATMs in same period 14,100: diversion rate = 82/ 14100 = 0.6%. Bear in mind this includes aircraft that have diverted for non-wx reasons e.g. operational / medical / technical / blocked runway etc.

Also, following on from your comment on the LBA Greece thread that tour operators wouldn't base a/c over the summer because of the risk of diversion, I had a look at the diversion data for the April-October period. Out of the 1,345 days that have fallen in these months since 1998, the database finds just 5 days where there was significant disruption, e.g 5 or more diversions, and one of these was due to a tyre burst. It wouldn't put me off, then again you probably think differently.

Nobody I think pretends that the place is perfect. Equally, reading PPrune makes one realise that, in one way or another, few UK airports are.

KAT TOO
18th Aug 2004, 08:36

Hhmmmmmmmm i stand corrected, it seems worse than the figs you report, i must have been unlucky, but thanks for the info