PDA

View Full Version : More New Jet2 Aircraft

EXS
16th Aug 2004, 11:09
I see Jet2's latest aircraft G - CELZ is ready for service in Southend.

Does anyone have any idea where it is going to be based or more importantly if it will be used for any new routes?.. with G - CELE on the way to LBA in September is this one going to join the other at Belfast?

682ft AMSL
16th Aug 2004, 11:23
G-LZ, which has been converted into a QC variant, will apparantly spend the next few months covering for one of the Globespan machines and other ad-hoc Channex work. It is lined up to do overnight post office work from 1st Nov - from where, I don't know.

G-LE is meant to be joining the Leeds base on 1-Sep (the day the CDG service launches).

Crewing Gimp
16th Aug 2004, 20:39
Current rumour:
More aircraft have been aquired and will be arriving soon.
This will aid any frame shortage, and possible new routes.
:ok:

682ft AMSL
20th Aug 2004, 15:03
Rumour has it, Channex have just acquired a further 4 737-300s - ex Lufthansa.

airsmiles
25th Aug 2004, 20:16
First ex-Lufthansa B737 arrived at Lasham yesterday I believe. This was D-ABXD, to be G-CELH.

682ft AMSL
26th Aug 2004, 08:45
Adverts went on the Channex website yesterday for Jet2 cabin crew required in Leeds and Belfast, so perhaps a clue where these aircraft are heading.

http://www.channel-express.co.uk/recruitment.html

galley-wench22
26th Aug 2004, 11:39
Not sure if this is confirmation of more a/c at LBA. Belfast need more crew to cover the new BCN route and as for LBA, they have just lost half a dozen cabin crew for pastures new. So I guess they will be looking for a couple of replacements.

Tommyinyork
3rd Sep 2004, 18:24
Why is it just 737-300s been acquired, why dont they start some Canaries routes using a 737-400.

LBA
3rd Sep 2004, 18:30
Oh god here we go again.....

opsgeezer
4th Sep 2004, 08:32
Hi Tommy - did you have a nice summer holiday break????

Bit complex but a -400 may not be the answer. A low cost carrier will put lots of seats on to make money - around 178 if memory serves in IT config. That makes for a heavy plane & our old friend the runway at LBA just isn't long enough. (Remember a -300 can get to the Canaries if you have the "right" sort of runway.)

OK you say - have less seats / less passengers / less weight. But then you have to charge more & that rather defeats the object of a lo-co!

Also because the canaries are such a long way it rather knackers the usual lo-co theory of lots of short sectors make money. (Although I would accept that Jet2 don't exactly flog their fleet to death to so never say never!!)

:confused: :ok:

bartelby
4th Sep 2004, 19:40
Any of you Jet 2.com guys want to comment on the strong rumour of a new base in the not so distant future ?

Is it only 4 ex-lufthansa 737 or will more be arriving? also will they be combi or just pax ?

Anyway its all looking good for Jet2.com much to Kat too's annoyance!!!

hottowel
4th Sep 2004, 22:00
A couple of Jet2 crew were at the recent interview I went to at a certain hotel in Leeds for a certain European airline!! I wonder if they got the job.... I did, and I know they were looking for 2-3 members of crew!

BombardierCR7
5th Sep 2004, 02:22
I heard on the vine that the next route being evaluated by LS ex LBA was Toulouse...

Anyone else heard that one?

The edit being....I almost forgot, I also heard that all things are pointing towards Manchester as being the next base....(just a rumour at this stage as I can tell)

Tommyinyork
5th Sep 2004, 10:16
JET2 really are up and coming, i mean does anyone have a list of how many planes there operating, there seems to be a new one every week. As for bases well LBA is the main base, and Belfast has a few flights as does Bornmouth. JET2 shouldnt really base at Manchester, they should try small airports such as Norwich, Edinburgh, Aberdeen or Southampton.

LBA
5th Sep 2004, 13:02
Tommy - I would hardly call 10 planes in nearly two years nearly every week! They have 8 based at LBA, 1 at BFS and one flying out of EDI for Globespan at the mo.

Bournemouth doesent have any Jet2 flights.

And since when has EDI been a small airport? Im sure they are going to move in there when Globespan are...

GW76
5th Sep 2004, 14:32
when Globespan are...
Are what ......?:confused:

LBA
5th Sep 2004, 15:35
Sorry, I meant when Tommy said Jet2 should move into EDI, I meant ' I doubt they will when Globespan are' meaning that EDI already has Globespan who have links with Channel Express, so I doubt Jet2 would be moving in there!

Tommyinyork
5th Sep 2004, 17:12
Whats happening at BMI baby and Easyjet operating a Belfast-LBA service, talk of this has gone rather quite.

bmibaby.com
5th Sep 2004, 18:19
Tommyinyork, whilst I could imagine bmi regional transferring the Belfast service over to bmibaby, in the same way that they're transferred the Paris service, I highly doubt you'll see EasyJet at LBA.

EZY already has a Midlands hub in Nottingham, and two Northern hubs at Newcastle & Liverpool, which makes a lot of cities within 90 minutes drive of an EasyJet airport. This could be further reduced if plans continue to go ahead that EasyJet are to support Peel Holdings' latest venture at Doncaster/Sheffield, which has been widely reported. So I'd expect to see EZY on a BFS route from NEMA or Doncaster, before, if ever, seeing one from LBA.

ALLMCC
6th Sep 2004, 08:43
Seems to be some confusion here - LBA is already served from both BFS & BHD by Jet2 & Flybe respectively - Bmi regional don't serve Belfast at all now since BHD - NEMA ceased in October 2002. It is unlikely the route could sustain another operator.

carlos vandango
6th Sep 2004, 12:29
You never know..you just might see the orange team in LBA if as is rumoured a second JET2 airframe arrives in BFS soon. I would think any plans that Jet2 have in BFS will have already been considered and are simmering on the orange back burner for now. If BFS makes as much money as Easyjet claim it does they'll hardly be impressed when Jet2 tries to put their nose out of joint..maybe this is the 'bloodbath' that O'leary was babbling on about:rolleyes: Still it should keep the NI travellers happy.

HOODED
6th Sep 2004, 20:59
Just wondering if Jet 2 do base another ac at LBA where on earth are they going to park it? If I'm not mistaken all stands are occupied at night now. As for the boys in Orange or Baby, not a chance, nowhere to park em! That is unless BMI replace 145/100s with Baby 737s. Perhahps it's time for LBA to start looking ahead rather than reacive management.

Op checked Satis
10th Sep 2004, 17:50
BFS will have a second A/C later this month CELE & LBA are getting 2 more CELH & CELZ

Mike Rowburst
10th Sep 2004, 18:50
All this talk of how many 737s Jet2 (AKA Channel Express) have, yet noone really seems to accurately know the current fleet or acquisitions.

If my maths is right, and it is not always, it seems to me like the company posseses 14 + 4 ex-Ansett models on the books awaiting conversion, two actually undergoing conversion and another 4 ex-Lufti ones on the way. Up and coming low cost operator I would say!

Crewing Gimp
10th Sep 2004, 21:25
Mike the current fleet is:

G-CELB / LC / LD / LE / LS / LU / LV / LX - Jet 2 .com 737-300
G-CELY / LZ - Jet2 .com 737-300 QC LA - awaiting coversion
G-CELP - Channel Express 737-300 QC
G-CELR - Globepsan 737-300 QC
G-CELW - Channel Express 737-300 Frieght

T-FELC / LM / LN - Islandflug leased 737 -300

Awaiting 4 ex Lufthansa
Awaiting 2 ex Ansett

Total : 14
Leased : 3
Awaiting : 7
Grand Total : 23

Also operating - 4 x A300 / 4 x F27

The Gimp

BEST L/CONTROLLER
21st Sep 2004, 14:19
I understand that they are trying to sort out parking for A/C at LBA.

They are taking away the grass in between A3 and C holding points where they are gonna concrete and produce more remote stands, I was out at the site the other day and I bet you'd get 5 B737 stands out of the grass verge which they want to remove, don't know how long that will take.

But lets face it, if this is LBA's way of expansion, an extra 4 or 5 stands then that's crap, someone metioned re-active management, well that's correct the day this place has pro-active management is the day that most 20 somthings will be drawing a pension.

CHEERS!!!!!!

Tommyinyork
22nd Sep 2004, 08:29
Are they going to get more airside buses then because at this current moment there is only 3.

HOODED
22nd Sep 2004, 20:16
G-CELH an ex LH macine is currently in paint at Southend. Unless I'm missing something from whats already been said LBA will have 9! Thats if E goes to BFS and H comes to LBA. E is currently at LBA and therefore LBA will remain at 8 when H arrives and E goes, but will go to 9 when Z arrives.
Someone put me right surely LBA can't cope with 9 LS 733s unless they park one over at Multiflight as a spare.

Tommyinyork
23rd Sep 2004, 09:16
Apart from LBA aint JET2 going to have another airport to base their aircraft.

682ft AMSL
23rd Sep 2004, 09:23
Someone put me right surely LBA can't cope with 9 LS 733s unless they park one over at Multiflight as a spare.

No based My Travel unit over the winter. It's departure w.e.f 1-NOV creates space for 1 extra Jet2 machine.

Tommyinyork
23rd Sep 2004, 10:50
Thats a point, the based MYT sub charter aircraft for next summer at LBA, will JET2 operate the sub charter, i mean they might as well do a few flights for them.
Also do JET2 have inflight entertainment such as radio, tv etc?

HOODED
23rd Sep 2004, 12:00
No Tommy they dont. One of the ac I've flown on had the roof TV screens blanked out, G-CELS I think, where others dont have them at all. This is a Low Cost operator after all despite the nice leather seats.

LBA
23rd Sep 2004, 12:41
G-CELV also has TV screens, though of course they are not used.

Tommy - Its ok saying Jet2 may as well do the sub charter for MyTravel, but with Jet2s schedule next summer, I think they might need all the a/c. Of course if one goes tech you will need one then, and they might not make more money operating for MyTravel as they would for their own flights.

Tommyinyork
23rd Sep 2004, 18:42
I was just thinking if they could combine some flights and lease a 767 or an A300 during next summer.

Op checked Satis
23rd Sep 2004, 18:57
6 more A/c coming on line for Jet2 soon,the big question is where they will be based ?

LBA
23rd Sep 2004, 19:00
Seriously doubt they would lease a 767 or A300 Tommy, the current aircraft are making money for them, if they started a sub charter they would probably keep these but who knows? With Globespan getting 738s maybe it could happen eventually, though I have my doubts.

HOODED
23rd Sep 2004, 19:32
682, your reply clears that one up but what of next summer? Will they have a sub based at LBA or W legs into LBA? If the latter then no new stands required, if the former however!!!!! Also as OPs Checked Satis points out with 6 more ac due where are these going? Just one more at LBA will be enough to mean more infrastructure but then again perhaps they're all for a new base somewhere.

Tommyinyork
23rd Sep 2004, 20:39
Why dont Globespan and JET2 just merge and become one airline?

Mooncrest
24th Sep 2004, 18:27
Tommy,

My understanding is that Globespan's arrangement is very much vis a vis that of Palmair and European, i.e. the aircraft are owned and operated by the airline (Channex/Jet2 or European) and flown in the colours of the tour operator who utilises them. In other words, Globespan isn't an airline (neither is Palmair). They just appear to be. Behind the scenes, it's the AOC holders doing the work. So, Globespan won't be merging with Channex/Jet2.

Wow, I confused myself there. Anyone else ?:confused:

HOODED
24th Sep 2004, 19:41
G-CELH the first of the ex LH machines has arrived at LBA today with an interesting change of colour scheme. It has an all red fin with Jet2.com down it in white/silver. Will this become the new scheme? It's named "Jet2 Faro".

BombardierCR7
24th Sep 2004, 20:11
My understanding is that 3 of the new aircraft will go to the new Manchester base

Jetting2
24th Sep 2004, 20:18
Although it has been mentioned before about the manchester base wouldnt it be rather close to the existing one at lba, without having some effect?

Surely Belfast should have further expansion first, preventing EZY taking away anything else Jet2 could have a go at.. should'nt it.

Thats not to say it wont happen. :O

Mark McG
24th Sep 2004, 21:07
Re Globespan & Channel Express/Jet2

Globespan do have their own AOC. They own 2 737's both based at GLA. GSM is the identifier for Globespan. They also have 2 737-800's on order. They lease 3 737's from Channel Express. 1 is based at GLA & the other 2 at EDI. The Channel Express leased aircraft are flown under the Channel Express AOC/callsign. Occassionaly when one of the Channel Express aircraft that are dedicated to the Globespan operation are in for maintenance you will get a Jet 2 aircraft operating the flight.

BombardierCR7
24th Sep 2004, 22:55
As I know things today...

The MAN base is definate with 4 routes initially. Announcement at the end of Oct, but LBA will stay at the moment as the main hub.
(some surprising politics behind that one, but I know the reasons)

LS have still plans for LBA but the crew situation is difficult (and slots into 2 airports) but it is expected there will be an announcement soon of further increases out of LBA...and of course MAN.

Let us see...

Tommy....Can we stop the silly talk about My Travel/Jet2 and Globespan talk. It is not in the real world.

Mooncrest
25th Sep 2004, 10:17
Mark McG

Thanks for putting me right on the Globespan thing, and here's me thinking I know everything about everything:ok:

Fandango71
25th Sep 2004, 13:47
Hi

If 4 routes and 3 aircraft go over the hill to MAN, would this not be the beginning of the end for the LBA base?

Are the politics to do with LBA giving preferential terms to JET2 and if so do you think they'll up sticks when this runs out?

On the route front, where next from LBA? Berlin or MUC would be good!!

HOODED
25th Sep 2004, 14:14
I seriously doubt they'd up sticks and move from LBA having been so successful in such a short time. Move to MAN, well it's a gamble given RYR and BMIBaby are already established there with EZY just down the road at LPL. LBA stands alone as a large catchment area that was untapped LoCo wise until Jet2 saw the potential. If they were to move on I doubt the routes they have now establishred would be left for long without someone else jumping in. But with the LBA management who knows?

Going loco
25th Sep 2004, 20:12
Calm down people. How have we got from 'some of the aircraft that Channex have on the order book will end up being based at MAN' to 'they are moving aircraft and routes from Leeds to MAN'

The recent posts from Bombardier are clear enough.

Bombardier - check your PMs.

loco

BombardierCR7
25th Sep 2004, 21:21
Going loco - you beat me to it!!

Also check your PM's

Cheers

DQ4
1st Oct 2004, 11:45
Channex have just bought 2 more 737's according to the London stock exchange!!

HOODED
1st Oct 2004, 12:25
Another 2 ex LH aparently.:ok:

Mooncrest
16th Oct 2004, 11:40
Some of these 737s are getting on a bit now. I know eighteen odd years probably isn't that old by modern airliner standards but it probably won't be long before maintenance costs start to pick up for the venerable ex-Ansett and Lufthansa machines. Jet2 is doing very well on it's established routes and I strongly suspect the company will be wanting to fly more punters per aircraft further and faster before too long. The big question is, what aircraft type will they go for :confused: :confused:

If they want to stick with the 737 family, then the -800 would be the obvious choice I suppose, finances permitting of course. Alternatively, there could well be some older A320s and A321s knocking around somewhere on the planet. Still, I know nowt about airline economics, so I'll throw this one open to those of us who know better :ok:

HOODED
16th Oct 2004, 16:31
Mooncrest I doubt they'll go for -800s as they have operational problems ex LBA, though MAN would'nt be a problem with it's longer runway with unobstructed climbout. More likeley the'd go for some early production-700s if they came on the market.
Then again LBA could always put another 300m of concrete down could'nt they?

Mooncrest
20th Oct 2004, 17:44
HOODED,

Ah yes, the old runway extension chestnut again. The airport however has employed a consultancy firm to do a feasibility study into such a project so maybe the time is drawing close. BTW it's almost twenty years since the original extension opened; November 4th 1984. I was there that day and it wasn't half cold.

Anyway, we're thread-creeping here. Yes, I see your point about the possible unsuitability of the 737-800 but I don't know if there'd be that much difference performance-wise between the 800 and the 700. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the seating capacity for the 700 and 300 more or less the same ? Assuming Jet2 want to carry more pax at once, a larger aircraft is called for. That's if it pays of course...

jamie060
13th Nov 2004, 14:13
Just to let u all know.....

Jet 2's new A/c G-CELF arrived the other day with the new jet2.com tail and the worlds shiniest engine intakes......!!!!

Not seen it fly yet though, maybe they don;t wanna get it dirty!!!