PDA

View Full Version : Security and diabetes lancets as hand baggage

aaaaa
16th Aug 2004, 07:36
Has anyone gone through security with those self testing diabetes lancets and if so did you have a problem? The needle of the test kit is minuscule and is no danger to anyone.

Whilst flying longhaul it is sometimes essential to test blood sugar levels.

aa

27mm
16th Aug 2004, 10:45
Mrs 27mm is an insulin-dependant diabetic and flies regularly as SLF. She carries all the kit (including lancets and injector pen etc) with her, together with a doctor's letter certifying the necessity for same. She has (to date) never had a problem with security checks, but is always careful to state at check-in her condition and the contents of her kt. Hope this helps.

radeng
16th Aug 2004, 10:51
I've never had a problem, but always tell them at check in if I'm carrying them in hand baggage - normally, I take the risk and let the blood testing kit go checked baggage, but I'm not insulin dependent. I've never tried it in the USA, though.

PaperTiger
16th Aug 2004, 17:10
In the initial aftermath of 9/11 there were isolated instances of untrained screeners freaking out at the sight of diabetic equipment. (Not to mention one incredible incident in which Nitro heart pills were confiscated as 'explosive' :eek: ).

There will be no problems nowadays, in the unlikely event you get a new/clueless screener, just ask for the supervisor. I don't even bother to tell them what the stuff is any more.

(Above applies to experiences in UK, Europe, N.America, Caribbean)