PDA

View Full Version : Future UK ISTAR and ELINT - Interesting Article

WE Branch Fanatic
15th Aug 2004, 21:35
See this Article here.... (http://www.spyflight.co.uk/UKISTAR.HTM)

ChristopherRobin
16th Aug 2004, 07:36
nothing new here. focusses on platform replacement, but doesn't seem to consider networked solutions.

Heimdall
16th Aug 2004, 21:14
As the author of the article, I agree completely with Christopher Robin. For obvious reasons, everything in the article is from open sources, freely available to anyone who goes looking for them in various publications. I put the article together to simply try and draw a few threads together, giving visitors to the site a brief overview of where things are possibly heading. The views and opinions expressed are just that, my own views and opinions based on what has currently been released. The article does concentrate more on potential platforms than the proposed network centric capability, simply because more has been published about the former than the latter. Most visitors will be only too well aware of the need for HM Forces ISTAR systems to move away from separate ‘stovepipes’ to a system where everything is shared. Like everyone else, I know the broad aim, but I have little knowledge of how it will actually be achieved. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about the how the network centric capability will actually be achieved might consider submitting an article for the site, drawing on open sources, of course!

Heimdall
www.spyflight.co.uk

Spotting Bad Guys
17th Aug 2004, 01:02
Ahhhh, but of course Network Centric Warfare assumes we have a network i.e. a useable, fast, high-bandwidth, robust system capable of fulfilling the warfighter's needs whilst retaining sufficient security to keep the bad guys at bay....

Have you ever worked with a deployed MOD IT system in anger? I have, and it's very, VERY painful.......All these assets are great - doesn't make a rats arse of difference if we can't access/use/process/pass on that data though.

Liked the article, however!

SBG

ChristopherRobin
17th Aug 2004, 07:51
SBG, totally agree, although it doesn't always have to be high-bandwidth, it depends on what exactly you want to do. Link 11 isn't that high-bandwidth, but it is usable at least.

Heimdall, no one, (particularly in London) knows how it will be achieved because what you are talking about is one great big networked system of systems...but as our organisations don't talk to one another, then how do we think we can get our systems to?

However if you want to discuss possible NCW/NEC effects then there are examples of applications that are being developed such as NCCT (http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040707/75204_1.html)

For what it's worth, here's the link to the MOD section on NEC if you're interested (http://www.mod.uk/issues/nec/)

a bit short on detail, though you may be able to understand where MOD thinks they should go. How they'll get there is another matter entirely.

I don't think I said before, but I liked the article all the same.

Heimdall
18th Aug 2004, 06:16
Christopher Robin

Thanks for the response and I’m glad you enjoyed the article. Thanks also for the links - I’ve visited the www.iwar.org.uk site and having read through a number of the NEC Outline Concept documents, which include a conceptual framework, speculative architectures, lots of visions, aspirations and the following high level mission statement “NEC allows platforms and C2 capabilities to exploit shared awareness and collaborative planning to communicate and understand command intent, and to enable seamless battlespace management. It will underpin decision superiority and the delivery of rapid and synchronised effects in the joint and multi-national battlespace.” – I’m still not any wiser how it’s all going to work, but then, as you suggest, neither is anyone else!!

Given the UK Governments appalling record of introducing large computer systems, to which the MOD has made a significant contribution, I imagine many people share my misgivings that this system could follow exactly the same well-trodden path. I have no doubt that some extremely clever people will be working hard over the next few years to try and make everything work as planned. But I suspect that as usual we will try to do it on the cheap, ignoring the benefits of using off-the-shelf, tried & tested US technology because of the ‘not invented here’ syndrome and then continually try and change the specification to add more ‘bells & whistles’ at the last possible minute. I sincerely hope that the NEC arrives on time and budget to give UK forces the 21st century capability they deserve, but I have serious doubts that it will.

Heimdall
www.spyflight.co.uk

Charlie Luncher
19th Aug 2004, 17:00
CR
I thought NCW was just a good yarn to keep spending(wasting) lots of pounds on QINETQ and DLTS, ie some nerd convinced an intellectually challenged Senior Blueblood with some powerpoint how they saved loads of money in a theoretical cyberspace battle.
You sank My Battleship:{
Charlie sends