PDA

View Full Version : 767 Gear Up Procedure

Robboflyer
15th Aug 2004, 18:21
On a BA flight from FRA-LHR this week the FO mentioned during his pre-flight PA announcement that it was normal operating practice on this type of a/c not to raise the undercarriage until 2 minutes after takeoff (so don't be concened about the vibrations, noise etc).

I cannot work out why this might be - can anyone enlighten me?

Paracab
15th Aug 2004, 18:27
To cool the brakes perhaps ? Some more details on the flight, etc may help to find an answer.

Robboflyer
15th Aug 2004, 18:30
It was a BA 767, Frankfurt-Heathrow, the BA 911 last Thursday evening in fact.

Capt Scribble
15th Aug 2004, 19:12
If a brake unit is deactivated (iaw the MEL) then the wheel brakes are not automatically applied after take off in the 75/76. Therefore if the UC is retracted immediately, there would be much thrashing of wheels inside the well. Also, those BIG wheels turning at 160 kts, apply sideways force (gear moving inwards), move thro 90 degrees iaw gyro theory and a large twisting force is generated. Hence, guidance to wait for 2mins until the wheels have stopped turning. FO sounds to be giving BA b**lx

Robboflyer
15th Aug 2004, 20:07
So in effect this is not "standard procedure", and there was a problem with the gear which prevented the wheels stopping before retraction, hence they left the gear down long enough for them to stop turning. Correct?

I do hate it when they make up stories like that....

CaptainFillosan
15th Aug 2004, 20:43
Look at it this way. Would anyone understand it the way the good Captain just explained it? ;) So the best way would be to keep stumm IMHO. Bit of naff BA chaff that!

Never did see that written up in an MEL tho! Safe of course!

Robboflyer
15th Aug 2004, 20:56
And an MEL is what, exactly?

amanoffewwords
15th Aug 2004, 21:24
Minimum Equipment List, the minimum needed to operate in safety, or words to that effect

mutt
16th Aug 2004, 03:31
I can just imagine the pax reaction if they were told the truth... "Good Morning L&G, on this B767 we have 8 brake assemblies, this morning two of them are not working, we are still going to fly you to FRA on time, however, just after takeoff we are going to leave the wheels down for two minutes to allow them to spin to a stop! Dont worry about it!!!!!!!"

This MEL procedure is permitted on the B747/757/767/777 and is probably a lot more common than people realize.

Mutt.

Big Kahuna Burger
16th Aug 2004, 08:33
I have had this circumstance several times in the past with different aircraft types.

Its much better recieved, to tell the pax theres going to be a little extra noise than usual, than them thinking what the hell is going on with the 'non normal' banaging and crashing of the gear coming up at the higher airspeed.

Dr Illitout
17th Aug 2004, 05:51
The brakes might have been a bit hot too, after an extended period of taxing. I do tend to agree that to tell the pax SOMETHING is better that nothing.
Rgds Dr I

BRISTOLRE
17th Aug 2004, 13:36
That said I have witnessed more and more of this recently due to higher ground temps and long taxies, specifically on BA both B767 and B777s coming out of LHR. Aircraft on DOV and SOU departures in particular upto around 1,000ft still with gear down !!!..!!

Volume
19th Aug 2004, 05:48
Anothe funny thing about the 767 landing gear is, that the retraction mechanism does not completely fit into the wing.
Therefor a small door in the wing upper skin has to be opened during the gear retraction, giving the hydraulic retraction linkage the space it needs.
So the 767 does not only open the large landing gear dors on the belly for retraction, but also a small door on the upper wing surface.

Dr. Feelgood
22nd Aug 2004, 19:25
Volume,

This is new to me: a small door opens on the UPPER wing surface to provide space for the landing gear to operate? Where did you get this from?

Rgds,

The Doc. ;)

fescalised portion
24th Aug 2004, 14:14
Volume............That is nonsense.

threestable
25th Aug 2004, 01:15
FP, it's not actually. Pop up panel very much there
Whilst at LHR my company took delivery of 767s. Factory to XXX to LHR. Aforementioned panel, mistaken on gnd for access panel (flush obviously) but not secure, so taped down whilst at XXX, and entered in techlog. Subsequent inspection at LHR would find tape torn and tattered, and requiring replacement!! Bit of 'investigation' revealed that hinged panel there for reason..... gear transition, hence tattered tape!! Can be seen, hatched in some cases, 2-3ft from fuse, longitudinal to span, very small. Locii rings a dim and distant bell from school days TD!!
Honest!:O