PDA

View Full Version : SQ7970 - A Jumbo into Darwin???

Soulman
15th Aug 2004, 11:42
Hey Guys,

Was looking around on the Changi (WSSS) airport website earlier this evening and came across the above mentioned flight in the cargo departures section.

Scheduled to leave Singapore at 22:30 local time (00:30AEST), it's destination is Darwin via Hong Kong, Anchorage and Chicago. Bit of a round-about trip hey?

Didn't know that SQ were operating cargo into Darwin. If so, how long have they been doing it for? Or is it a once off? A 744 freighter into NT... Would be a sight to see!

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Soulman.

Keg
15th Aug 2004, 12:45
I think its a one off. Considering that Ex Pitch Black has been raging in the NT for the last bunch of weeks, it wouldn't surprise me if the SQ freighter was in support of that in some way.

http://www.defence.gov.au/pitchblack/default.htm

Soulman
17th Aug 2004, 12:26
Thanks Keg. Guess it makes sense... Would love to see a 744F into Darwin tho - could imagine the crowd of GA operators looking on in awe!

slice
19th Aug 2004, 04:35
Soulman - you should have been in DN 3-4 years ago.

Back when East Timor was on it was a riot of AN-124s, C-5s, C141s, C-23 (USAF vip 757),C-9s (US Navy DC9) AN12s, VC10s (RAF), 707s, A300F, Il86, IL62, A340, A310, MD11F, inumerable Hercs an AN10 (registered in Equatorial Guinea!) and even the odd AFX 742 that blew a couple of tyres sliding down 11. To cap it off an AF Concorde made a fuel stop in 2000 on a RTW charter - that did draw a crowd! Glad I got to see it before the end.

A China Easter A340 pulled in on it's way to Shanghai with engine trouble and bunny hopped all the way to gate 2.

QF used to fly in with 747sp when they were still in the fleet and one did the most spectacular landing I have ever seen.

Inbound from CNS they requested 29 instead of duty 11 which had 20 kts straight down it. Did not touch down until the Echo intersection -then anchors out as they shot past me at Bravo for a tight finish! I hate to say it but I think they wanted a close look at the Golf course near the end of the runway!:E

Sadly, I understand DN is much quieter these days on all fronts (GA included)

compressor stall
20th Aug 2004, 22:48
Yep - they were the days!

Also the ZK white herc doing a flawless wheelsup dead on ctrline!

Also remember the SQ 744 dropping in there to offload pax - seem to recall at least one medical and another child custody battle.

Also Anchorage is roughly on the great circle from HKK to Eastern seaboard USA. Also a major freight hub. Never seen so many freighters there in all my life!

CS