PDA

View Full Version : Visibility change Saturday 7th August

The Nr Fairy
15th Aug 2004, 07:34
Saturday 7th August saw me plodding from Surrey up to Leeds in an R44.

Viz as far as Leicester or thereabouts was pretty much unlimited, but as we approached there, we could see a wall of haze - it's the only way I could define it. It stretched from east to west, curving towards the north the further west it went.

Once in the haze, the viz dropped to about 6 - 8 miles or so. The temperature didn't change, according to the thermometer in the aircraft.

Wind was southerly about 15 knots - we were cruising at about 3000' or so.

Any ideas ? I've never seen anything like it.

boomerangben
15th Aug 2004, 09:30
I don't know how far north it spread. On the NW coast of Scotland the viz was over 30km. And it was hot too!

Capn Notarious
15th Aug 2004, 10:11
I wonder if you took photo's and if any meteorologists are ppruners?

ShyTorque
15th Aug 2004, 12:13
Sounds like an airmass with a different history to that air surrounding it. Don't think it's too unusual.

DBChopper
15th Aug 2004, 12:49
Nr Fairy,

Out of interest, how long did Surry to Leeds take in the '44?

Vfrpilotpb
15th Aug 2004, 14:32
Once did EGNH to Denham in 2.00hrs down and 1.8hrs back In R44 Raven, if that helps!

The Nr Fairy
15th Aug 2004, 18:33
CN:

I had my hands full, and I didn't want to disturb the pax. And the only camera I had was my phone's.

ST:

Yes, but how come it was a wall - no temp change, but there was a southerly wind at about 10 knots on the surface, and 15 - 20 knots at 3000'

And it's probably not unusual, but it was so wierd - at first I thought it might have been rain.

DBC:

1.5 flat, from near Leith Hill (nw edge of Gatwick Zone) to Harewood House near Leeds. Cleared direct Ascot - BUR, which was nice.

And you know helicopter flying is something when the passengers (used to flying in somewhat bigger types) go "wow" when you lift and see Gatwick in the mid-distance.