PDA

View Full Version : Freighter saved

PaperTiger
14th Aug 2004, 17:25
The last (potentially) airworthy Bristol Frightener has been acquired by the Reynolds Museum at Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada.

It has been stored for the last few years at Terrace, BC after Hawkair switched from freight ops to scheduled passenger service. Volunteers are working to get it ready for one last flight over the rocks, hopefully later this month, but having been dormant for so long some problems are inevitable.

Fingers crossed :ok:

ozplane
16th Aug 2004, 15:12
Good news, but does anybody know what has happened to the Freighter at Wangaratta in Oz? When I was there last year, it was dismantled "awaiting shipment to the UK". I gather there were financing problems but it was supposed to be a potential flyer.

PaperTiger
16th Aug 2004, 17:01
VH-ADL, the Oz example, was tentatively acquired by the Bristol Aero Collection for 'shipment to the UK'. In the event, transportation costs were prohibitive and the deal fell through. Still up for sale I understand, but I don't think its a flyer.

gas path
22nd Aug 2004, 11:12
Well I hope they look after it a bit better than this one:uhoh:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/gaspath/Img_1.jpg
Fortunately no major injury.
But good job nobody sitting here!.......... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/gaspath/Img_11.jpg

Bobster
25th Aug 2004, 00:34
Ozplane
The September 2004 issue of Australian Aviation is reporting that VH-ADL has been moved from Wangaratta to the Moorabbin Air Museum arriving on Sat 3 July. Apparently tail surfaces, undercarriage, centre section and engines were removed and the fuselage laid on its port side for transport. It is now awaiting reassembly.
They also report that VH-TBB which was a long time resident at the Tullamarine fire dump was scrapped in June.
The RAAF Museum at Point Cook still has a Bristol Freighter on static display and it is complete.

ozplane
25th Aug 2004, 08:10
Thanks for the update. Pity she's not coming "home" but very good news that she will be preserved.

Dusty_B
25th Aug 2004, 08:26
Gas Path Blimey! Is that mishap the one that occured at Enstone?

The prop looks familiar... and the damage fits the story.

gas path
25th Aug 2004, 10:59
Dusty_B
Er! yep thats the one, the result of I think, a crosswind take off.

bronson
5th Sep 2004, 19:44
YQS left Terrace but got caught in the wx. After an overnight in Ft. St. James and another in Pr. George the crew went home and the old girl sits in YXS. Should get the job done in the next day or two. Can't attach a pic of the last flyby at YXT or I would.

Skylark4
5th Sep 2004, 20:10
Gas Path
I don't think the crosswind was the problem. I heard that it was due to failing to unlock the tailwheel so that when it lifted off, there was a terriffic swing and things got worse from there. I should think there's an accident report available online if someone knows where to look.
I saw it at Cranfield only a couple of weeks earlier and, although no beauty, it was good to see her flying. As she was about to land, someone wrote off their undercarriage on the runway so she had to circle for half an hour or so. A bit more time logged than planned I think.

Mike W

Edit:- 1996, I must be getting old, I didn't realise it was that long ago. No mention of the tailwheel lock so maybe that was just a rumour.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_avsafety/documents/page/dft_avsafety_502112.hcsp

Mike

Kolibear
5th Sep 2004, 21:10
I was born and grew up in Southend (EGMC), just of the approach to 06. Dakotas and Bristol Freighters were constantly in and out of the airport and were just part of the background noise. Its sad to think that there now only just one left.

Any ideas on what happened to the Carvairs?

Milt
6th Sep 2004, 00:26
Freighter at Boscombe Down circa 1956

2 of us TPs looking at a Freighter out of a window decided it would be a challenge to fly. Made appropriate arrangements and found a handbook.

Entered the dingy interior and couldn't see a way to the flight deck. Handbook didn't say how to get there.

Outside and no way up the outside. Forced to ask an airman.
He declined an offer to come with us.

Biggest problem was trying to turn fuel booster pumps on. No switches found after a careful left to right. Found circuit breakers which magically doubled up as switches.

Flew a few around central Australia subsequently.

Those were the days when one was expected to do a two circuit conversion to a Comet IIc before a test program.

Fris B. Fairing
6th Sep 2004, 00:46
Milt

Did you ever fly VH-AAH with Lionel?

Cheers

Milt
6th Sep 2004, 01:31
F B F

All my Freighters were military. I at Boscombe Down and 2 at Air Trials Unit RAAF as transport support for Woomera.

The monthly freight support flights Edinburgh - Maralinga - Giles way back of the black stump was always of great interest.

yazman
6th Sep 2004, 16:41
Any ideas on what happened to the Carvairs?

There are three left I believe. Another Terrace 'fugitive' is now with Brooks' Fuel in Alaska, there's one in Africa (Phoebus) and an unairworthy one somewhere in the southern US (Georgia ?).

bronson
7th Sep 2004, 21:10
Gasman, how did you attach the pics of DFC? Says on my screen that I can't do attachments. YQS is now in the museum and I think that is the last time the sound of a Bristol Hercules will be heard. The engines will now be pickled and the fuel drained etc. Anyone know of another aircraft running Hercules engines?

PaperTiger
7th Sep 2004, 21:27
Anyone know of another aircraft running Hercules engines?

The Nord Noratlas, of which at least 1 is still flying. OK so the engines were SNECMA-built but still Herculeses.

bronson
13th Sep 2004, 17:11
I keep hearing about the Nords but have never been able to track an operational one down. I wonder too where they are finding their Hercules parts. Paul Hawkins of Hawkair went literally around the world on a parts hunt and I thought he pretty much got the last bits out there. would you know if the SNECMAS are an exact copy of the original? There was also a rumour that the Israelis had made a large number of unlicensed copies, but I have never been able to find anything to support that.