PDA

View Full Version : Multi crew time in Europe

Pilot44
14th Aug 2004, 14:42
I am new to these forums, but can anyone help me with a query I have with converting my FAA ATP to the JAA ATPL.
As a current Shorts 330/360 FO flying cargo in the USA, I'm interested in moving and obtaining corporate work in Europe.
I understand that JAA require 500 hours multi crew flying to obtain a ATPL amongst other things, and here in the USA I have that flying the Shorts.
And I also know you need a type rating to fly multi crew in Europe. Would I need to obtain a type rating to be able to say my Shorts time is valid?
Even if it was obtained outside Europe?

I'd be grateful for a reply please.
Regards
Pilot44

redsnail
14th Aug 2004, 15:04
I am not that familiar with the FAA regs. I gather you've done some formal training/groundschool to become a FO on the Shorts?
JAR accepts FO or command time for the 500 hour requirement. If you haven't got any thing formal in your log book/licence stating you're rated on the Shorts then I would definitely do the rating.
If you have + 500 hours on the Shorts then you won't need to do a formal type rating here to convert your licence, just a checkride with the CAA observing. You'd have to find a TRTO in the UK that will do them. (Emerald is one such organisation). However, most companies aren't familiar with what's required so you'll have to do a lot of leg work.
This is on top of the 14 exams and the medical too.

Pilot44
14th Aug 2004, 15:18
I did SIC training under Part 135 at the time, an FAA type rating is only required when you upgrade to Captain.

Will the UK CAA really accept the hours before I do the FAA Type Rating, as those hours were based on my SIC training?

flite idol
16th Aug 2004, 01:40
The SIC hours, if correctly documented and I suggest a letter form the director of operations at the shed operator verfiying that you are indeed employed by them as a flight officer, will count towards the multi-crew (FAR/JAR25 type) time requirement for the issue of a Euro ATPL. The only exemption you will get is for the signals (morse code exam) so long as you have a current instrument proficiency sign off from a CFI or company check airman. Currency through the FAA procedure of six approaches etc is not usually accepted. You should also qualify for an MCC exemption to allow you to put a type rating on the new ATPL once you get one, without completion of the generic MCC training course. I hope this info is still correct, it was a while back but things change!

74Freight
16th Aug 2004, 14:20
for ths issue of a JAR ATPL you must have a valid multi crew type rating , I know this as I saw someone with loads of hours on a 727being told this at gatwick

Pilot44
16th Aug 2004, 19:47
Anyone reassure me that this kind of time is valid for employment with the European airlines?
I'm sure they aren't familiar with the way that a FO can fly a multi crew aircraft without a type rating, won't it raise eyebrows?
Any thoughts.